• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Views on tattoos

What are forum members views on people with tattoos?

• I would never dream of getting inked, would be marked for life

Votes: 153 61.0%
  • Depend upon if perceived controversial or not e.g. symbols relating to neo-Nazi organisations

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Look nice if it is an obvious personal piece to the individual

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • All tattoos are hideous, regardless of meaning behind them

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • Would only consider a railway themed design

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • It is up to the individual to decide, as it is their own body

Votes: 124 49.4%
  • Would or have considered before, but am nervous/frightened of needles

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Would only consider temporary tattoos as less painful and can easily wear away soon after

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I like tattoos and think they are great

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
On most days this week, whenever I have had interaction with a human being in a public facing role, I have been dealt with by someone who has had a tattoo.

Safe to say, they are from what I could tell, were personal ones such as names of family members, famous phrases, Harley Davidson motorbike, etc, and not any symbols that relate to neo-Nazi organisations or the UVF/Orange Order.

Is it fashionable nowadays to be inked, or just a craze that will fade away similar to the Lying Down Game that done the rounds on Facebook/social media channels years ago?

Or is it more unique nowadays in not being inked?

Also, although maybe a strange question, are there any members on here that have a railway themed tattoo?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I would never have a tattoo for far too many reasons. Why ruin the human body, which looks fine on its own (particularly the female one), with graffiti: it is like scribbling on the Mona Lisa. And if the body doesn’t look fine, writing on it won’t help.

A cautionary tale. Some years ago I was on the bus and sitting opposite was a young man (probably very late teens) who had a tattoo on the side of his neck. The upper line was in beautiful italics and read I love. Below it was a thick black bar where, presumably, the name of his paramour had been blanked out.

Two others to mention. Standing behind a woman in the newsagents who had a tattoo across her shoulders. It took me a while to work out that it had been a stalking fox or dog, but she had put on weight so it had bulged in strange places. In the queue at the bank a woman had a strange pattern on the back of her neck. I worked out that it was a stylised Mickey Mouse created by shading in sections of overlapping circles, but again a little padding had distorted it. (And why have a tattoo on the back of your neck or anywhere else you can’t see it.)

And there was the young woman who took a tattooist to court because he had tattooed a pattern on her that was supposed to be an ancient Chinese love charm (or something similar). It turned out that it actually meant something like ‘drip dry’ or ‘hand-wash only’. The case fell apart as soon it was clear that the tattooist had only copied the design she had given him.

gg1

Established Member
Tattoos moved into the mainstream in the mid-late 90s so I'd suggest it's gone beyond the stage where in can be called a craze.

Some tattoos qualify as works of art and are genuinely impressive but they represent a tiny minority, 99%+ fall into the range of awful to 'meh' IMO. Tattoos on the hands, face or neck universally fall into the awful category.

In terms of rail related tattoos a friend who went to a model railway show a few years ago told they saw someone with a BR double arrow logo tattooed on their arm.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is it fashionable nowadays to be inked, or just a craze that will fade away similar to the Lying Down Game that done the rounds on Facebook/social media channels years ago?

It’s been fashionable for 20 years.

lxfe_mxtterz

It's up to individual choice. If someone wants or has a tattoo, then so be it - I'm not going to judge them for it. But personally, I would never get one, I just don't see what's so fantastic about it (and I'm terrified of needles anyway!) If something is close to me, I'd much rather purchase a personalised brooch or something.

Any tattoos on the face, however, look utterly hideous. Just take a look at some of those ridiculous, talentless "rappers" (dare I even call them that) with faces which look as if they've lost a battle with a printer.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think one would suit me, but I definately think they look good on an attractive chap.

sharpley

Also, although maybe a strange question, are there any members on here that have a railway themed tattoo?
There was a feature on ITV East Midlands news last week about EMR's final HST services. They interviewed a driver who said he had a train (maybe a HST related) tattoo.

EDIT : Heres a link to the ITV video... driver with the HST tattoo is at 3:20 onwards

The high speed InterCity 125 train was a huge achievement for British Railways in the 1970s, just a short time after the last steam train on the network was retired.

It was designed by Sir Kenneth Grange, the man behind the instamatic camera, food mixers, and washing machines, and broke speed records.

It was part of the drive to rebrand British Rail, bringing people back to train transport, away from the car, and with two engines front and back, it made commuting a reality.

Now it no longer meets regulations, particularly around accessibility, so it's time for a graceful retirement.

Wesley Smith met some of its biggest fans.

Last edited:

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Why isn’t there an option to select ‘I like tattoos and think they are great’? The polling choice is skewed heavily towards a negative point of view.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I would never have a tattoo for far too many reasons. Why ruin the human body, which looks fine on its own (particularly the female one), with graffiti: it is like scribbling on the Mona Lisa. And if the body doesn’t look fine, writing on it won’t help.

A cautionary tale. Some years ago I was on the bus and sitting opposite was a young man (probably very late teens) who had a tattoo on the side of his neck. The upper line was in beautiful italics and read I love. Below it was a thick black bar where, presumably, the name of his paramour had been blanked out.

Two others to mention. Standing behind a woman in the newsagents who had a tattoo across her shoulders. It took me a while to work out that it had been a stalking fox or dog, but she had put on weight so it had bulged in strange places. In the queue at the bank a woman had a strange pattern on the back of her neck. I worked out that it was a stylised Mickey Mouse created by shading in sections of overlapping circles, but again a little padding had distorted it. (And why have a tattoo on the back of your neck or anywhere else you can’t see it.)

And there was the young woman who took a tattooist to court because he had tattooed a pattern on her that was supposed to be an ancient Chinese love charm (or something similar). It turned out that it actually meant something like ‘drip dry’ or ‘hand-wash only’. The case fell apart as soon it was clear that the tattooist had only copied the design she had given him.

That is what puzzles me about back tattoos in that you cannot see them. Also, those individuals who have almost their whole body covered - I sometimes wonder if it is a human or a mobile fixed graffiti/artwork.

With symbols, it is best to research the meaning, as not all symbols have a universal meaning globally.

Tattoos moved into the mainstream in the mid-late 90s so I'd suggest it's gone beyond the stage where in can be called a craze.

Some tattoos qualify as works of art and are genuinely impressive but they represent a tiny minority, 99%+ fall into the range of awful to 'meh' IMO. Tattoos on the hands, face or neck universally fall into the awful category.

In terms of rail related tattoos a friend who went to a model railway show a few years ago told they saw someone with a BR double arrow logo tattooed on their arm.

Some tattoos on the hand I have to do a double take to see if it is a tattoo or unwashed hands. Also, in the West of Scotland, most hand tattoos I have seen over the years (both reasonably fresh and faded) are usually on males who have 1690 on their fingers (reference to the Battle of the Boyne).

It’s been fashionable for 20 years.

There seems to have been a more liberal view of some gaffers regarding visible tattoos, as during my final year at school (1992/93), the careers officer who visited the school mentioned not to have any on show at all.

It's up to individual choice. If someone wants or has a tattoo, then so be it - I'm not going to judge them for it. But personally, I would never get one, I just don't see what's so fantastic about it (and I'm terrified of needles anyway!) If something is close to me, I'd much rather purchase a personalised brooch or something.

Any tattoos on the face, however, look utterly hideous. Just take a look at some of those ridiculous, talentless "rappers" (dare I even call them that) with faces which look as if they've lost a battle with a printer.

I cannot stand them on the face or neck. Mind you, that is maybe because when I was in the West Midlands in my late teens, my partner's (at the time) sister got set about by a girl gang who had the symbol of the neo-Nazi group Combat 18 tattooed on their necks.

There was a feature on ITV East Midlands news last week about EMR's final HST services. They interviewed a driver who said he had a train (maybe a HST related) tattoo.

EDIT : Heres a link to the ITV video... driver with the HST tattoo is at 3:20 onwards

At least it is one that resembles a big part of his life.

Why isn’t there an option to select ‘I like tattoos and think they are great’? The polling choice is skewed heavily towards a negative point of view.

I have fixed that and added to the options.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think one would suit me, but I definately think they look good on an attractive chap.

Don’t do yourself down Rob. I could see you with a stylised tattoo of a Hastings Unit creeping up your neck in full technicolour...

I’ve got a few opinions on tattoos actually but they’re just my opinions really and I’m fairly Live and let Live about stuff like this.
However one of the girls is booked in to have one in a couple of weeks time and if I’m honest I’m not completely comfortable with it.

Journeyman

Established Member
Don’t do yourself down Rob. I could see you with a stylised tattoo of a Hastings Unit creeping up your neck in full technicolour...

I’ve got a few opinions on tattoos actually but they’re just my opinions really and I’m fairly Live and let Live about stuff like this.
However one of the girls is booked in to have one in a couple of weeks time and if I’m honest I’m not completely comfortable with it.
Joys of being a parent, eh? I hope it's one she won't regret.

That's the main reason I'd be hesitant to get one, my tastes change every five minutes.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

That could be an option, or possibly an EPB !

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The trouble is tatoos are with you for life. There are people who had facial tattoos in punk days,spiders webs,swasticas etc because it was what they believed in at the time. Now they are in their 60s and are going saggy and also have to explain these things to their grandchildren. A chap at work paid a small fortune to have love and hate removed from his fingers because he believed it was holding back any promotion. Small personal tatoos on your arm are one thing but sleeves or huge murals on your body are another thing and you must believe that you can live with it for the rest of your life.
Likewise holiday tatoos,what seemed a good idea after several pints might just add misery to your hangover the next day. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice but they do nothing for me.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
When I was in my 20s it was fashionable for people to get a "lightning bolt" or "Celtic band"-style tattoos, and I thought they looked quite good. I would certainly have considered something similar for myself if I didn't have a hatred of anything stabbing into my skin. When I started working it was an absolute no-no to have a tattoo showing. Most of the people I knew who had one had them on the upper arm or somewhere else on their body where it could easily be covered up. That said, one particular workplace was against men having hair longer than collar length and hell mend you if you forgot to shave in the morning. Earrings were also an issue then - the single stud in one ear (as worn by a lot of guys) was not permitted, but if you had both ears pierced they couldn't argue with you on sex-discrimination grounds.

These days tattoos have certainly become far more colourful, and I know quite a few people who have the sleeve thing done. I don't mind that really, but when it comes to having chest and back tattoos, I do think they spoil what would otherwise be a naturally beautiful body in certain circumstances. I'm not so fond of neck tattoos either, and when it goes as far as full-face I find it a bit off-putting. When I lived in Aberdeen there was one chap that I used to see regularly and he looked scary enough without the tattoos!

That said, each to their own. It's your body and you can decorate it however you like.

Butts

Veteran Member
The trouble is tatoos are with you for life. There are people who had facial tattoos in punk days,spiders webs,swasticas etc because it was what they believed in at the time. Now they are in their 60s and are going saggy and also have to explain these things to their grandchildren. A chap at work paid a small fortune to have love and hate removed from his fingers because he believed it was holding back any promotion. Small personal tatoos on your arm are one thing but sleeves or huge murals on your body are another thing and you must believe that you can live with it for the rest of your life.
Likewise holiday tatoos,what seemed a good idea after several pints might just add misery to your hangover the next day. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice but they do nothing for me.

Totally agree, as you sag so do the tattoos. What looks good at 25 is not so appealing at 65.

Perhaps semi-permanent etchings would be the answer ? - does such a variant exist ?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The chemicals used in tattoos may be toxic. Removing tattoos later can be very difficult for certain types, painful and expensive, if one decides one does not love soandso.

What I find particularly unpleasant on other people is perfume, that can damage health too, smells awful.

Is tattooing quite normal among young people now, as smoking used to be? It can be very expensive too.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The chemicals used in tattoos may be toxic. Removing tattoos later can be very difficult for certain types, painful and expensive, if one decides one does not love soandso.

What I find particularly unpleasant on other people is perfume, that can damage health too, smells awful.

Is tattooing quite normal among young people now, as smoking used to be? It can be very expensive too.
I agree with your comment about really strong perfume odours, they really can take your breath away sometimes.

I like tattoos on men, so long as they are artistic and as said above perhaps mean something to that person. I have seen some really great tats about at the moment, some on the lower arm and lower legs are very good. Some have Polynesian themes which look amazing. I have considered having a couple of small ones on the back of my hands to start off with, maybe something for my star sign and also maybe a small steam loco tattoo too. I don't see the point of having a massive tattoo on your back or backside, they cost alot, but the person having it done would not get to see it. The other thing I have considering is a couple of piercings. Trouble was, just as I was going to investigate all this further, cv came and the tattoo and piercing places had to close.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I would never dream of getting a tattoo (never say never?) but I just realised, I could get one and cover it up, for I have always had a beard. I could shave, get a tattoo on my face, and let my beard cover it, and maybe shave if I wanted to display it. Just got to learn how to shave now %)

Mat17

I know a lot of people that have them, but I've never understood the appeal. Each to their own though as far as I'm concerned. It's their body so they can do with it as they wish. Same with piercings etc.

I can't help feel it's a real shame though when a pretty lady goes and disfigures herself with a tattoo, a total turn off.

nlogax

Established Member
Was never that fussed by the idea of permanently marking my body but a few years back a specific event persuaded me to get one. It's quite small, on my forearm so not massively in anyone's face and I'm completely happy with it. No desire to get more though.

(there really should be an 'I've already been inked' option)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
We had security guards employed by our consultancy office prior to my retirement and it was written in their security instructions that no tattoos were to be on view. I have never seen more security guards wearing white gloves to cover hand tattoos and long sleeved jumpers to cover arm tattoos before than in our premises. We were a "rather posh" organisation, though.... ;)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Getting a Tattoo myself doesn't appeal to me, but I've no problem with people that do (provided it's not offensive etc), as they can look really good.

wireforever

A workmate had a tattoo on his arm for a big birthday Celtic club crest.Instead of having it done at the top of his arm he had it on the wrist area.He was told in no uncertain terms by his manager to keep it covered at all times whilst in work -no short sleeved shirts for him in summer!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I was young there was a very well known guy who was in the local biker gang and he went by the name ‘Billy Outlaw’ and later on ‘Billy the Bat’ (he seemed quite scary but he was actually a very nice guy).
One night as local legend has it, he got home from the pub extremely drunk and set about tattooing BILLY OUTLAW on his forehead with his own tattoo gun.
Quite pleased with his work he fell asleep afterwards, then woke up in the morning to the realisation that he done it backwards as he’d been looking in the mirror when he did it...
After that he covered the whole thing over with a giant bat tattoo which he had for the rest of his days.

341o2

Established Member
When I was young there was a very well known guy who was in the local biker gang and he went by the name ‘Billy Outlaw’ and later on ‘Billy the Bat’ (he seemed quite scary but he was actually a very nice guy).
One night as local legend has it, he got home from the pub extremely drunk and set about tattooing BILLY OUTLAW on his forehead with his own tattoo gun.
Quite pleased with his work he fell asleep afterwards, then woke up in the morning to the realisation that he done it backwards as he’d been looking in the mirror when he did it...
After that he covered the whole thing over with a giant bat tattoo which he had for the rest of his days.
Which is why no reputable tattooist would tattoo anyone obviously under the influence

D365

Veteran Member
I’ve yet to see a tattoo I like, but each unto their own.
I've seen some I really like, but a lot of them aren't great, and I doubt I'd ever commit to getting any myself. I'm far too fickle.
This is exactly my view. If I can’t decide that I overwhelmingly like a design, I don’t feel I’d be ready to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.