• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Views on tattoos

What are forum members views on people with tattoos?

• I would never dream of getting inked, would be marked for life

Votes: 153 61.0%
  • Depend upon if perceived controversial or not e.g. symbols relating to neo-Nazi organisations

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Look nice if it is an obvious personal piece to the individual

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • All tattoos are hideous, regardless of meaning behind them

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • Would only consider a railway themed design

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • It is up to the individual to decide, as it is their own body

Votes: 124 49.4%
  • Would or have considered before, but am nervous/frightened of needles

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Would only consider temporary tattoos as less painful and can easily wear away soon after

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I like tattoos and think they are great

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I would never get a tattoo mainly becuase:

a) i am not a sailor
b) i am terrified of needles

Tattoos are a personal choice. My only concern for other people is what they will look like when they are 50 and have swollen. Those tatts that look superb at 21 might look awful at 52!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I would never get a tattoo mainly becuase:

a) i am not a sailor
b) i am terrified of needles

Tattoos are a personal choice. My only concern for other people is what they will look like when they are 50 and have swollen. Those tatts that look superb at 21 might look awful at 52!
I’d counter that and say the people who get tattoos probably don’t care if it doesn’t look like it did when it was originally done.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have heard it said by two middle-aged women to each other, when a young girl in her early 20s with a rather dramatic "chest" tattoo passed them on the concourse of Manchester Piccadilly railway station...."I wonder what she will look like when she is 65 with everything sagging"

Gloster

Established Member
When I was young there was a very well known guy who was in the local biker gang and he went by the name ‘Billy Outlaw’ and later on ‘Billy the Bat’ (he seemed quite scary but he was actually a very nice guy).
One night as local legend has it, he got home from the pub extremely drunk and set about tattooing BILLY OUTLAW on his forehead with his own tattoo gun.
Quite pleased with his work he fell asleep afterwards, then woke up in the morning to the realisation that he done it backwards as he’d been looking in the mirror when he did it...
After that he covered the whole thing over with a giant bat tattoo which he had for the rest of his days.
I have heard a similar story about someone, possibly in prison, who wanted to tattoo the word HARD on his forehead but couldn’t get anyone to do it. So he did it in the mirror with the same result, in his case due to stupidity rather than drink.

jb108822

When growing up, I was never really a fan of tattoos, though I suspect conservative church-going parental influence played a part there. As I got older, I started to appreciate them more, while still not thinking they were for me. Eventually, I decided I wanted one, though coming up with ideas was difficult. Settled on one, and eventually got it done in October 2015, shortly before I turned 23. It's only a small one on the inside of my right bicep, which is largely so it can be covered up easily. My parents still have no idea I've got it, and given what it is, they may not necessarily approve - it's not anything illegal, but they're not keen on tattoos anyway, and it may involve some difficult conversations when they do see it. It's personal and important to me, which is the most important thing, I think. I've needed to get some of the colours touched up for a while, but it's a struggle to sort something like that out without my parents knowing, and they seem to ask where I'm going or where I've been a bit too much for my liking. Plus I'm a dreadful liar. :P

I'd like another tattoo by the end of next year, as it could be a nice way to mark turning 30, though I'll need to spend a good amount of time thinking about what I want and where on my body I want it. Having said that, I never want a tattoo on my hands, neck or face (too visible), and I'd probably avoid my feet (too bony and painful during the process). Somehow, when I was getting my current one done, I didn't find it to be as painful as I'd expected. I've already mentioned in other threads that I'm autistic, and I'm not too keen on needles. Hardly made a noise during the whole process, and the tattoo artist made comment about how well I was doing.

alex397

Established Member
It’s not something I’d do myself, they don’t really appeal to me. I certainly wouldn’t want one that I’d end up regretting, even if it is years later. I stick up artwork in my room, but after a few months or years I get a bit bored of it, or even wonder why I liked it in the first place. No problem, as I just take it down! Not so simple with a tattoo.
Also, I don’t really like tattoos anyway, even really artistic ones. I prefer natural skin.

Most of my friends have one, or are thinking of getting one. It seems very common now. As a ‘yoof’ myself, I probably sound very old fashioned and un-trendy compared to others of my generation, but each to their own!

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
It’s not something I’d do myself, they don’t really appeal to me. I certainly wouldn’t want one that I’d end up regretting, even if it is years later. I stick up artwork in my room, but after a few months or years I get a bit bored of it, or even wonder why I liked it in the first place. No problem, as I just take it down! Not so simple with a tattoo.
Also, I don’t really like tattoos anyway, even really artistic ones. I prefer natural skin.

Most of my friends have one, or are thinking of getting one. It seems very common now. As a ‘yoof’ myself, I probably sound very old fashioned and un-trendy compared to others of my generation, but each to their own!
I think I read somewhere recently that un-tattooed 18 to 25 year olds are now a minority.

prod_pep

Established Member
What people do with their own bodies is their affair, but I won't pretend to be a fan of tattoos. I haven't seen one I thought appealing yet and have to agree it can be a bit of turn off apropos the opposite sex. I wouldn't get one if you paid me.

People who are covered in them, sleeves and all, often tend to look a bit, shall we say, unwashed to me.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I think I read somewhere recently that un-tattooed 18 to 25 year olds are now a minority.

Not what I have seen. The point was more that at least a third of that age group have a tattoo of some sort though many are small and unobtrusive while many others are expecting to get one at some point. This is a contrast to when I was that age when tattoos were mostly the preserve of lower ranked military personnel, members of the merchant marine or hardcore bikers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm actually much more tolerant about females having tattoos than men doing the same, not that I'd be keen to go around with a heavily tatted woman: on second thoughts, at my age, I might even revise that opinion in a year or two on a beggars/choosers basis. :)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I'm actually much more tolerant about females having tattoos than men doing the same, not that I'd be keen to go around with a heavily tatted woman:
I remember those awful 'tramp stamps' that were popular with women some years ago. IMO it made them look common.
I think you have to be 100% committed to the idea before putting the needle to skin. Watching programs like Tatoo Fixers often show people who have regretted having stupid tatoos.

Mat17

I have to say there's a lot of very snobbish and judgemental comments here.
I wouldn't say snobbish, at least not regarding my own disdain for tattoos, more socially conservative. To be honest, I think society as a whole has become more relaxed (or slovenly). I'm the kind that would happily wear a suit (or at least dress smart) every day, and yet people seem happy to walk around in onesies... I'd never dare go out in public like that. It just personal tastes, there no 'judgement' as such, just that I couldn't do it myself. Who am I to dictate to others how to dress and whether to get tattoos? I leave them to their own affairs, so it doesn't bother me. As for the original question, would I personally get a tattoo, no.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I wouldn't say snobbish, at least not regarding my own disdain for tattoos, more socially conservative. To be honest, I think society as a whole has become more relaxed (or slovenly). I'm the kind that would happily wear a suit (or at least dress smart) every day, and yet people seem happy to walk around in onesies... I'd never dare go out in public like that. It just personal tastes, there no 'judgement' as such, just that I couldn't do it myself. Who am I to dictate to others how to dress and whether to get tattoos? I leave them to their own affairs, so it doesn't bother me. As for the original question, would I personally get a tattoo, no.

I think the concept of ‘judgement’ extends beyond not dictating to others. For instance, someone might think to themselves “people can do what they want with their body, but I wouldn’t give someone who has a visible tattoo or someone with dreadlocks or a woman with a shaved head or a man who wears high heels and mascara a job. But they can still appear how they want, it’s their choice”.

Therefore would tattoos (or other appearances made out of choice) dictate someone’s attitude and behaviour towards that person?

Trackman

Established Member
When I was young there was a very well known guy who was in the local biker gang and he went by the name ‘Billy Outlaw’ and later on ‘Billy the Bat’ (he seemed quite scary but he was actually a very nice guy).
One night as local legend has it, he got home from the pub extremely drunk and set about tattooing BILLY OUTLAW on his forehead with his own tattoo gun.
Quite pleased with his work he fell asleep afterwards, then woke up in the morning to the realisation that he done it backwards as he’d been looking in the mirror when he did it...
After that he covered the whole thing over with a giant bat tattoo which he had for the rest of his days.
Reminds me of Ade Edmondson in Mr Jolly lives next door.
He thinks the tattoo on his forehead is the wrong way around as he his looking in the mirror.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I got my first tattoo in September 2019; a small male+male symbol just above my left hip (image attached below*; mods/admins delete if not appropriate). Got it for at least 3 reasons (2 of them personal): it was a (very!) late 23rd birthday present (my parents were aware of it and signed off on it; they both have tattoos themselves), it was the 5th anniversary of my coming out the closet that November (am gay; this was a happy accident more than anything else in regards to the timing) and my own way of showing the young men struggling with their sexuality as I was back in 2013-14 that things can and will get better.

At the end of the day, it's that person's choice and body. Live and let live, although I personally have found my eye wandering to a good-looking lad with a tattoo more than once lol

*: this was taken the day I got it, after I washed and cleaned it for the first time. It has completely healed in the time since, just to put any concerns in that respect to rest before they arise. :)

PS: there really ought to be a 'already inked' choice in the poll. ;)

51186868444_bf587d59c9_b.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I got my first tattoo in September 2019; a small male+male symbol just above my left hip (image attached below*; mods/admins delete if not appropriate). Got it for at least 3 reasons (2 of them personal): it was a (very!) late 23rd birthday present (my parents were aware of it and signed off on it; they both have tattoos themselves), it was the 5th anniversary of my coming out the closet that November (am gay; this was a happy accident more than anything else in regards to the timing) and my own way of showing the young men struggling with their sexuality as I was back in 2013-14 that things can and will get better.

At the end of the day, it's that person's choice and body. Live and let live, although I personally have found my eye wandering to a good-looking lad with a tattoo more than once lol

*: this was taken the day I got it, after I washed and cleaned it for the first time. It has completely healed in the time since, just to put any concerns in that respect to rest before they arise. :)

PS: there really ought to be a 'already inked' choice in the poll. ;)

View attachment 96501
Thank you for sharing that, it is a really good tattoo and has given me another idea.
Take care, stay well and safe. :D

Strathclyder

Established Member
Thank you for sharing that, it is a really good tattoo and has given me another idea.
Take care, stay well and safe. :D
No worries and thank you; glad to have helped inspire you. :) Was a big leap of faith on my part posting that, but so far so good lol

Same goes to you. :)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One could have tattoos with 'I love mum' and the names of the children in a discrete place, not much chance of regretting that.

PeterY

Established Member
If people want tattoos, I don't have a problem with it but you won't catch me having one.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
No worries and thank you; glad to have helped inspire you. :) Was a big leap of faith on my part posting that, but so far so good lol

Same goes to you. :)
I'll let you know, if I pluck up the courage and get any tats (Or anything else done.) :D

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I really don't get people's obsession which judging what other people do to their own body. It is the same with piercings too.
Live and let live.
These days what someone has on their skin is none of anyone elses business and certainly doesn't impact their ability to do any job.
I appreciate where such attitudes come from (in some countries historically it used to be attached to either gang membership or certain undesirable trades) but these days those views are simply out of date.

Personally, I'd like to get some but the two things stopping me are nerves (not needles specifically, more I'm not a fan of close contact personal services - even haircuts to be honest) and money (decent tattoos can be expensive!).

I would never have a tattoo for far too many reasons. Why ruin the human body, which looks fine on its own (particularly the female one), with graffiti: it is like scribbling on the Mona Lisa. And if the body doesn’t look fine, writing on it won’t help.
1 - Not everyone thinks it "ruins the body". Some tattoos are gorgeous bits of genuine art. And even for the ones that aren't, I'd hardly say they ruin the body!
2 - What on earth has gender got to do with it? (the reason I ask this is that there is a massive issue with women specifically getting harassed about their tattoos).
3 - Some people like graffiti (look at say Bristol - plenty of awesome street are about the place).
4 - Some people use tattoos to hide scars (often self harm scars) so in those case they do help.
There seems to have been a more liberal view of some gaffers regarding visible tattoos, as during my final year at school (1992/93), the careers officer who visited the school mentioned not to have any on show at all.
To be fair that is almost 30 years ago now (rather than just 20).

Strathclyder

Established Member
I really don't get people's obsession which judging what other people do to their own body. It is the same with piercings too.
Live and let live.
These days what someone has on their skin is none of anyone elses business and certainly doesn't impact their ability to do any job.

Precisely my view on this. It's a subject that has simultaneously vexed & confounded me for some time, long before I got my first tat. If one chooses to modify their own body in such a manner, it doesn't have a negative impact on their abilites in their line of work. To assert otherwise is the height of idiocy as far as I'm concerned. This applies to both people of that viewpoint and companies who turn down/reject job applications based soley on that reason.

In regards to the latter point, if I was ever accosted in public over my having a tattoo (never mind one of a male+male symbol), they'd learn of my acute distaste of such a act of unprovoked harrassment in short order. Not through violent means of course, but rather through firm, verbal challenges to their assertions.

1 - Not everyone thinks it "ruins the body". Some tattoos are gorgeous bits of genuine art. And even for the ones that aren't, I'd hardly say they ruin the body!
2 - What on earth has gender got to do with it? (the reason I ask this is that there is a massive issue with women specifically getting harassed about their tattoos).
3 - Some people like graffiti (look at say Bristol - plenty of awesome street are about the place).
4 - Some people use tattoos to hide scars (often self harm scars) so in those case they do help.

5 - some tattoos can be symbols of something very close/personal to the person in question - me with my male+male tattoo marking my coming-of-age/sexuality struggle is just one example of this.

I'll let you know, if I pluck up the courage and get any tats (Or anything else done.) :D

You're not under any obligation to do so, but I look forward to hearing about what path you ultimately decide to take all the same. :)

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Yes - everyone has the right to choose to have a tattoo.
But, equally, don't be surprised if some other people think you look a ghastly mess and don't wish to associate with you.
A (very) few tats can be artistic & tasteful, but those who cover themselves from head to feet inevitably look cheap & naff in my opinion.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Precisely my view on this. It's a subject that has simultaneously vexed & confounded me for some time, long before I got my first tat. If one chooses to modify their own body in such a manner, it doesn't have a negative impact on their abilites in their line of work. To assert otherwise is the height of idiocy as far as I'm concerned. This applies to both people of that viewpoint and companies who turn down/reject job applications based soley on that reason.

In regards to the latter point, if I was ever accosted in public over my having a tattoo (never mind one of a male+male symbol), they'd learn of my acute distaste of such a act of unprovoked harrassment in short order. Not through violent means of course, but rather through firm, verbal challenges to their assertions.

5 - some tattoos can be symbols of something very close/personal to the person in question - me with my male+male tattoo marking my coming-of-age/sexuality struggle is just one example of this.

You're not under any obligation to do so, but I look forward to hearing about what path you ultimately decide to take all the same. :)
Thank you, I'll send you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.