• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: Views on tattoos

What are forum members views on people with tattoos?

• I would never dream of getting inked, would be marked for life

Votes: 153 61.0%
  • Depend upon if perceived controversial or not e.g. symbols relating to neo-Nazi organisations

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Look nice if it is an obvious personal piece to the individual

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • All tattoos are hideous, regardless of meaning behind them

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • Would only consider a railway themed design

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • It is up to the individual to decide, as it is their own body

Votes: 124 49.4%
  • Would or have considered before, but am nervous/frightened of needles

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Would only consider temporary tattoos as less painful and can easily wear away soon after

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I like tattoos and think they are great

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
My uncle (my mum's older brother) had his forearms tattooed as a young man in the early 1960s and he regretted it as soon as he had it done until he died three years ago. He always wore long sleeve shirts throughout his life because he did not like anyone seeing them. As a youngster it was always ingrained in me that tattoo's are potentially life changing things to the body and for that very reason I have never felt the need or desire to have any done myself.

I have seen in the last 20 years that tattoos are far more prevalent in society than they were in the 20th century. As an ex-police officer, I joined the job in an era when tattoos were still frowned upon by senior officers. An old school Superintendent (long since retired) blew his top at a young PC in the parade room once because he was wearing short sleeve shirts with his army tattoo's on display. How times have changed so quickly!!!

I recent saw a picture of a uniformed police officer stood at a crime scene with both of his forearms completely covered in tattoos. Me personally - I find the site of a police officer completely covered in tattoo's completely unprofessional - but that is my own opinion and I apologise in advance if anyone objects to what I have said here.

Even going out to pubs/bars in the late 1990s - I don't remember many people having tattoos. Nowadays, every other female you see in a pub is sporting tattoos on their wrists or ankles, while alot of men aged late teens to 50 are sporting tattoos on their arms and necks.

I completely accept that tattoos are part of a 'diverse' fabric of society, such as those people who dress that little bit differently or maybe have their hair styled in a unique way. Fashion and style are very much a way to express personalities and feelings which is a fantastic way of living in a free world.

I think the down side to tattoo's is that they almost feel like a fashion accessory of the moment. Fast forward another 20 years - will tattoos be the in thing in 2041? Sadly, if they aren't there will be millions of older people sporting body art that is no longer the 'thing'.

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw a policeman in Berkshire the other week, he had on a short sleeved shirt and tattoos on both arms I think, but they were really good infact.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I saw a policeman in Berkshire the other week, he had on a short sleeved shirt and tattoos on both arms I think, but they were really good infact.
I remember a very well-known PC in Penzance in the late 1980s and 1990s whose tattooed arms were often on show, but they were definitely of the ex-mariner type. It was an awful long time before I ever saw another person in his sort of position with obvious tattoos.

jb108822

It's taken me a while, but I've finally come up with an idea for what I want for my next tattoo. Weirdly, the idea came to me on Sunday following a meltdown induced by lack of sleep and other things, but even without that, it still makes sense and is very personal to me.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It's taken me a while, but I've finally come up with an idea for what I want for my next tattoo. Weirdly, the idea came to me on Sunday following a meltdown induced by lack of sleep and other things, but even without that, it still makes sense and is very personal to me.
Go for it.

jb108822

Go for it.
I intend to, though I'm not gonna rush into it, given it'll be on my body for the rest of my life. I just want to ensure it's not a decision I make in the heat of the moment. Having said that, now I'm feeling a lot better after my mini-meltdown on Sunday, I do still love the idea. Though I guess there's no harm in waiting for a few more months before I actually commit to it.

Irascible

Established Member
If I'd have found a design I'd have been happy with for the rest of my life I'd have got ink years ago, I just don't like most of them enough to feel any desire. Not against body mods in particular - I've had a load of piercings over the years but when you've had screws in your legs they get a bit inconsequential :).

What's the state of tattoo removal procedures these days?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If I'd have found a design I'd have been happy with for the rest of my life I'd have got ink years ago, I just don't like most of them enough to feel any desire. Not against body mods in particular - I've had a load of piercings over the years but when you've had screws in your legs they get a bit inconsequential :).

What's the state of tattoo removal procedures these days?
Yes, I am considering a couple of piercings as well. I have a reasonable pain threshold so would have them both done at the same time.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The stats look a bit Matt Hancock ish to me, unless some have had multiple votes!

DerekC

Established Member
I was thinking about what to have as a railway-themed tattoo (assuming I was going to have one, which I am not). I rather fancy a circus special based on the classic Shaw 1833 print of an early goods train. The animals could have faces of railway great and good - Stephenson, Brunel ... Shapps ... maybe not!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not for me but I don't mind them.

Each to their own for me too. I’m not great with needles and I’ve never seen or thought of anything that’s made me want to get one but some of them (although definitely not all of them) do look good.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Not a fan of big tattoos although subtle ones like @Strathclyder has are fine to me. Having said that, my barber has his arm cover in a tattoo/tattoos (I think it might be known as a 'sleeve'?) and it really suits him in my view, but I do wonder what it could look like in 10/20 years time!

jb108822

Not a fan of big tattoos although subtle ones like @Strathclyder has are fine to me. Having said that, my barber has his arm cover in a tattoo/tattoos (I think it might be known as a 'sleeve'?) and it really suits him in my view, but I do wonder what it could look like in 10/20 years time!
Yep - it's a sleeve. Many sleeves do look good (I see a number of customers at work who sport them), but some unfortunately don't. It's hard to know exactly why - could be that it's gone like that naturally as the person's aged (which seems most likely), it could depend on the artist, and techniques could theoretically have improved over a period of time. I've considered a sleeve myself, but doubt it'd suit me very well at all.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Yep - it's a sleeve. Many sleeves do look good (I see a number of customers at work who sport them), but some unfortunately don't. It's hard to know exactly why - could be that it's gone like that naturally as the person's aged (which seems most likely), it could depend on the artist, and techniques could theoretically have improved over a period of time. I've considered a sleeve myself, but doubt it'd suit me very well at all.
Thanks for confirming the 'sleeve' name. Certainly my barber's one looks like it's been done by a professional artist - but I've seen some tattoos which don't look like they have been! I guess its like clothing though, some things suit certain people but not others.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned about tattoos being a fashion accessory. Beards are also a bit of a rage at the moment, in the same way as moustaches were in the 70s/80s - but when fashion changes, they are definitely a lot easier to get rid of. :lol:

jb108822

Thanks for confirming the 'sleeve' name. Certainly my barber's one looks like it's been done by a professional artist - but I've seen some tattoos which don't look like they have been! I guess its like clothing though, some things suit certain people but not others.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned about tattoos being a fashion accessory. Beards are also a bit of a rage at the moment, in the same way as moustaches were in the 70s/80s - but when fashion changes, they are definitely a lot easier to get rid of. :lol:
Oh yeah, I see a few tattoos when at work which look like they may well have been done in someone's kitchen. And you're right in that some things suit certain people better than others. Some people definitely see tattoos as a fashion accessory, I agree, but I don't myself. My current one (and the one I'm planning on getting next) are both personal to me, and I've spent a good amount of time thinking about them so as to be certain I want them on my body for the rest of my life. I know some get tattoos on impulse, which is fine for them, but that's not me. Maybe part of it's because I'm autistic and like to think things through before actually going ahead with them. I guess that thinking lends itself quite well to something like getting a tattoo! :P

Strathclyder

Established Member
A subtle/small one was always the intention for my first tattoo (should add that cost wasn't a issue, as I used a voucher), taking my pain threshhold & where on my body I wanted it done into account. Not sure if a 'sleeve'-style tattoo is really for me, all things considered. Apart from anything else, my pain threshold doesn't go that far! lol

jb108822

A subtle/small one was always the intention for my first tattoo (should add that cost wasn't a issue, as I used a voucher), taking my pain threshhold & where on my body I wanted it done into account. Not sure if a 'sleeve'-style tattoo is really for me, all things considered. Apart from anything else, my pain threshold doesn't go that far! lol
I didn't think my pain threshold was overly great, but I managed to cope fine for an hour. Other than wincing for the first few minutes of it. :P I reckon I could probably handle something a bit bigger that'll take longer to do, but it's something of an unknown quantity. Only one way to find out, I guess!

Strathclyder

Established Member
I didn't think my pain threshold was overly great, but I managed to cope fine for an hour. Other than wincing for the first few minutes of it. :P I reckon I could probably handle something a bit bigger that'll take longer to do, but it's something of an unknown quantity. Only one way to find out, I guess!
Glad to hear that it went well. For me, it was just as painful as I thought it would be; gritted my teeth for a good portion of it, but it didn't exceed my pain threshold by much. Came out (ha) well in the end, all things considered. Haven't decided on getting any more as of yet, so I wouldn't know how much more painful getting a bigger one would be (depends where on the body it goes of course). Guess there's only one way to find out!

Last edited:

jb108822

Glad to hear that it went well. For me, it was just as painful as I thought it would be; gritted my teeth for a good portion of it, but it didn't exceed my pain pain threshold by much. Came out (ha) well in the end, all things considered. Haven't decided on getting any more as of yet, so I wouldn't know how much more painful getting a bigger one would be (depends where on the body it goes of course). Guess there's only one way to find out!
My artist made comment on how well I was doing, which helped me feel a bit more relaxed. She knew I was a bit nervous as well, so I guess she knew the occasional bit of reassurance would work, as well as keeping me as calm as possible. Though I guess that's the case for many people who get tattoos. I did grit my teeth a bit at times, and there was a mildly funny moment when she had to get a different-sized needle for the colouring-in due to me bleeding a bit more than was expected! :P Kinda have to restrict myself in terms of placement for tattoos to areas my parents are unlikely to see (they're not fans of tattoos - if they saw my first one and understood why I got it, I may have some slightly awkward questions to answer, though it's nothing at all illegal).

Established Member
They're not for me, but I can see why others choose to have them.

Two of my friends have tattoos and the designs are superb.

Strathclyder

Established Member
My artist made comment on how well I was doing, which helped me feel a bit more relaxed. She knew I was a bit nervous as well, so I guess she knew the occasional bit of reassurance would work, as well as keeping me as calm as possible. Though I guess that's the case for many people who get tattoos. I did grit my teeth a bit at times, and there was a mildly funny moment when she had to get a different-sized needle for the colouring-in due to me bleeding a bit more than was expected! :P Kinda have to restrict myself in terms of placement for tattoos to areas my parents are unlikely to see (they're not fans of tattoos - if they saw my first one and understood why I got it, I may have some slightly awkward questions to answer, though it's nothing at all illegal).
My parents were aware of my desire to get a tattoo and fully signed off on the design I ended up picking (they each have at least two). My mum came with me to get it done, though I would've been fully capable of going on my own.

At any rate, am glad it went well; also hope things go well in regards to your parents if/when they find out. :) As you say though, it's nothing illegal.

westv

Established Member
I know a lot of people that have them, but I've never understood the appeal. Each to their own though as far as I'm concerned. It's their body so they can do with it as they wish. Same with piercings etc.

I can't help feel it's a real shame though when a pretty lady goes and disfigures herself with a tattoo, a total turn off.
Same here.

david1212

Established Member
I know a lot of people that have them, but I've never understood the appeal. Each to their own though as far as I'm concerned. It's their body so they can do with it as they wish. Same with piercings etc.

I can't help feel it's a real shame though when a pretty lady goes and disfigures herself with a tattoo, a total turn off.

Likewise. Generally I think of them like graffiti on a wall etc.

Back 20 or so years ' adult models ' started wanting them as a way of being easily identifiable. IMO one of the best was a girl who had two small dolphins around her belly button.

whoosh

Established Member
There was a feature on ITV East Midlands news last week about EMR's final HST services. They interviewed a driver who said he had a train (maybe a HST related) tattoo.

EDIT : Heres a link to the ITV video... driver with the HST tattoo is at 3:20 onwards

There's a proper look at the HST tattoo in this film, from 18:04.

Status
Not open for further replies.