• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: What would you do if the public transport services you normally use are still requiring masks after the government mandate is over?

What would you do if the public transport service(s) you normally use is still mandating masks?

• Use the service(s) as I have no problem with wearing a mask

Votes: 150 50.8%
  • Use the service(s) as I have no other choice

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Use the service(s) without wearing a mask, whether exempt or not

Votes: 76 25.8%
  • Use an alternative operator’s service

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Use an alternative mode of transport

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Not make the journey at all

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
So as we are hearing from the other thread, certain train operators will be making wearing of masks a condition of carriage post Jul-19 whereas others won’t be. I thought it would be a good idea to set up poll to figure out whether continued mask mandates will impact on people’s travel habits and lead to boycotting of such operators. This goes for bus and tram services as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestRiding

So as we are hearing from the other thread, certain train operators will be making wearing of masks a condition of carriage post Jul-19 whereas others won’t be. I thought it would be a good idea to set up poll to figure out whether continued mask mandates will impact on people’s travel habits and lead to boycotting of such operators. This goes for bus and tram services as well.
Privatised railway. It should be all or none that require a mask. I will continue to use my car, as evidently, the railway is not safe to use. Thats basically what some TOCs are saying. The railway is is going to die if this stupidity does not stop. Can't keep running trains full of fresh air. Recently had a few days in London, and chose to drive, because I will not wear a mask for 2 hours. I cannot be the only person, the railway is playing a dangerous game, almost as if they don't want the railway to be a success, as it once was.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
I'll just use them and not wear a mask. The guards on my route don't seem the slightest bit bothered. I'll have one in my pocket in case there's a strong objection, but looking at my fellow passengers recently I don't think that will be a problem.

102 fan

The sooner people realise a facecovering is merely a comfort blanket, the better we'll be.

There's one thing I've learnt from last April, there are more people than I thought perfectly happy to follow bloody silly rules.

And to those who would argue, just how effective were facecoverings last year? Did they stop another lockdown? No. Did they save Christmas? No.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If there were two operators running a service between stations, one with mandatory masks and one without, I would make an extra effort to travel on the one which did not require mandatory masks.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think I would probably abide by the company rules, albeit in a more half hearted way. For example, sat down in a carriage that is quite quiet, i would probably let it slip more readily.

As for wearing them on open platforms, I don't even observe that now, so no chance.

DelayRepay

Established Member
If it was a short trip I would grin and bear it.

But I have three long (2 hr+) leisure trips planned for September/October. I've already booked my accommodation and event tickets but haven't booked train tickets yet.

In normal times, I would make these journeys by train because I find it more relaxing and enjoyable than driving. I am waiting to see how things pan out before making a decision, but if face coverings are still a requirement then I will probably drive. Despite liking train travel, all of my leisure journeys since this pandemic started have been by car. Not just because of face coverings but because of the way passengers have been treated by the railways since March 2020. Key workers only, don't sit there, mandatory reservations required, no catering, etc. I am a supporter of the railways but, to be honest, they have a lot to do to win me back at the moment.

Essan

Fortunately I don't need to use public transport on a regular basis - only for leisure journeys.

I have no problem with wearing a mask in a seat for a short time. But not continuously for 5 hours. As a consequence, I will not now be travelling back up to Lochailort in Scotland this year (assuming masks remain mandatory on Scotrail services). (I don't drive) Annoying. Disappointing. But it won't kill me. Not had a proper holiday for 3 years anyway, so I suppose another year won't make much difference!

kristiang85

Established Member
In
If it was a short trip I would grin and bear it.

But I have three long (2 hr+) leisure trips planned for September/October. I've already booked my accommodation and event tickets but haven't booked train tickets yet.

In normal times, I would make these journeys by train because I find it more relaxing and enjoyable than driving. I am waiting to see how things pan out before making a decision, but if face coverings are still a requirement then I will probably drive. Despite liking train travel, all of my leisure journeys since this pandemic started have been by car. Not just because of face coverings but because of the way passengers have been treated by the railways since March 2020. Key workers only, don't sit there, mandatory reservations required, no catering, etc. I am a supporter of the railways but, to be honest, they have a lot to do to win me back at the moment.

Yeah the social distancing has been a killer. The final straw for me was when I was trying to find a ticket from Windermere to Basingstoke in early June about four weeks in advance, and the cheapest one way for two of us on the Sunday was £750ish. Obviously we sacked that off and spent a weekend in Manchester instead. But I knew full well that the train would only be half full.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'd just stick my mask on as I have for almost a year now & get on with it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yay. Another mask discussion.

I was worried we might go more than 10 minutes without yet another thread being created...

Interesting that the results so far correlate with what I've said for months. Masks don't significantly deter public transport use (the overwhelming majority of people are saying that they will travel regardless, mask or no mask)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As there is no legal requirement I will not be wearing a mask.

If there was a choice of operator with different policies/messaging, I'd choose the one with the less draconian policies and less authoritarian messaging. I suspect it will become clear over the coming weeks, which operator I should use for journeys to places like Leeds, Newcastle etc where there is plenty of choice.
Interesting that the results so far correlate with what I've said for months. Masks don't significantly deter public transport use (the overwhelming majority of people are saying that they will travel regardless, mask or no mask)
I agree there is no significant difference either way, so they ought to be optional, not mandated.

davetheguard

Established Member
The option that I'd choose and that is missing from the poll is: Not make the journey at all.

trebor79

Established Member
Privatised railway. It should be all or none that require a mask. I will continue to use my car, as evidently, the railway is not safe to use. Thats basically what some TOCs are saying. The railway is is going to die if this stupidity does not stop. Can't keep running trains full of fresh air. Recently had a few days in London, and chose to drive, because I will not wear a mask for 2 hours.
I travel at least once a week on the railways, sometimes several times and for quite or very long distances. I haven't worn a mask for months and nobody is the slightest bit bothered despite all the announcements etc. I have absolutely no qualms about going unmasked from Monday despite whatever made up requirements some companies might put in place, it's going to be even less enthusiastically "enforced" than the current legal requirement.

Yay. Another mask discussion.

I was worried we might go more than 10 minutes without yet another thread being created...

I'd hardly call 44% an "overwhelming majority".

jumble

TFL have just sent out an email where at least they are respecting their customers instead of treating us like we were 12 years old

"We are very grateful to the overwhelming majority of customers who have been complying with this requirement and wearing a face covering will continue to benefit everyone travelling in London. Thank you."

dk1

Veteran Member
As a member of rail staff I will continue to not get involved in exactly the same way I have for the last year. Let's let people just decide for themselves.

LancasterRed

I'll be wearing a mask some of the time at work due to working in science so wearing one on public transport, where the need is greater, more so when travelling to or from work, is no big deal.

In any case I wear a covering rather than a mask if possible and switch coverings when I know it's caught something. It's very little hassle.

Class83

What surprises me is that TOCs particularly ones such as LNER who have a fleet of new trains aren't going on about how many times an hour all the air in the carriage is filtered through HEPA fillters to remove any small particles such as viruses. I'd assume these are standard features on modern aircon systems, airlines have certainly been mentioning this. Though it may be more difficult for operators using HSTs or 158s with more rudimentary aircon. A 150 with the windows locked open would probably be better than that. Realistically if the carriage is well ventilated you're only catching anything from the 5-10 people nearest you, and is it no more dangerous than sitting in a restaurant. Catering is a consideration for Intercity services.

I'm not travelling by train much at the moment, but don't have a problem with wearing a mask, however, 'face coverings' only really work if everyone wears them, so I'll wear a proper FFP2 mask which protects both the myself and others when I am, though I'm not planning any long journeys.

nlogax

Established Member
What surprises me is that TOCs particularly ones such as LNER who have a fleet of new trains aren't going on about how many times an hour all the air in the carriage is filtered through HEPA fillters to remove any small particles such as viruses. I'd assume these are standard features on modern aircon systems, airlines have certainly been mentioning this.

They do mention it on occasions. Eg, Wednesday,

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1415249910329487364

We remain committed to keeping you safe when travelling with us with our enhanced cleaning and continuous air filtration system on-board.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If there were two operators running a service between stations, one with mandatory masks and one without, I would make an extra effort to travel on the one which did not require mandatory masks.
As would I, although I will still use public transport that mandates masks because it is a better choice than the car - especially where I live.

Silver Cobra

As someone who doesn't have a driving license and relies on the train to travel to/from work, I have no choice but to use the service, even if masks remain mandated by the TOC. Thankfully the journey is only 5 minutes each way and I've become fairly tolerant to having a mask on. If the TOC does not retain a mandate for masks, I'll probably stop wearing it when travelling on services that are fairly empty and only wear it on busy services.

Veteran Member
Qualifying my vote: I will wear a mask, though I would prefer not to of course, unless the train is very quiet.

bengley

Established Member
Qualifying my vote: I will wear a mask, though I would prefer not to of course, unless the train is very quiet.
If you would prefer not to, why are you going to out of curiosity?

TPO

Privatised railway. It should be all or none that require a mask. I will continue to use my car, as evidently, the railway is not safe to use. Thats basically what some TOCs are saying. The railway is is going to die if this stupidity does not stop. Can't keep running trains full of fresh air. Recently had a few days in London, and chose to drive, because I will not wear a mask for 2 hours. I cannot be the only person, the railway is playing a dangerous game, almost as if they don't want the railway to be a success, as it once was.
Totally agree.

I will use my car (or maybe use a National Express coach so long as they remain sensible). Matter of principle here.

The passenger railway is indeed playing a dangerous game which is maybe why RDG have tried to hold back against the slide down the rabbithole, but hey, maybe it's good times for a freight railway instead <D ?

TPO

RPI

Established Member
From what I gather RDG seem to be maintaining their stance on "advice" and "encouragement" rather that mandating, certainly thats the impression I seem to be getting

Status
Not open for further replies.