• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: What would you do if the public transport services you normally use are still requiring masks after the government mandate is over?

What would you do if the public transport service(s) you normally use is still mandating masks?

• Use the service(s) as I have no problem with wearing a mask

Votes: 150 50.8%
  • Use the service(s) as I have no other choice

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Use the service(s) without wearing a mask, whether exempt or not

Votes: 76 25.8%
  • Use an alternative operator’s service

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Use an alternative mode of transport

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Not make the journey at all

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From what I gather RDG seem to be maintaining their stance on "advice" and "encouragement" rather that mandating, certainly thats the impression I seem to be getting
Indeed; it's not mandated on National Rail services (except those which are under the remit of TfL).

I don't have the option of travelling by car and I wish to support rail. I will comply with the law. But I will not pander to the authoritarians.

To those who are considering continuing to abandon rail, I would encourage you to return. Just comply with the law and no-one should be criticising you. If I witness any intimidation towards those legally not wearing masks, I will challenge it, but I am not expecting any.

I'll be wearing a mask some of the time at work due to working in science so wearing one on public transport, where the need is greater, more so when travelling to or from work, is no big deal.

In any case I wear a covering rather than a mask if possible and switch coverings when I know it's caught something. It's very little hassle.
I don't agree with you but I think it should be your choice, and we are entitled to make a different choice and there should be no fear or intimidation from either side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chorleyjeff

Don't care. I just want to get from a to b and masks don't bother me. Haven't we already done this poll before?
Not bothered by masks as such but when worn glasses steam up and very blured vision or take glasses off also blurred vision ( in shops hold glasses in front of eyes for short time to read labels or signage ). Problem is I get travel sick if I can't see clearly out of window facing forwards. Hence, some would say, be Mr Selfish for not wearing mask rather than feel sick and possibly vomit if travel by train. No railcard for me for the forseeable future.

trebor79

Established Member
Not bothered by masks as such but when worn glasses steam up and very blured vision or take glasses off also blurred vision ( in shops hold glasses in front of eyes for short time to read labels or signage ). Problem is I get travel sick if I can't see clearly out of window facing forwards. Hence, some would say, be Mr Selfish for not wearing mask rather than feel sick and possibly vomit if travel by train. No railcard for me for the forseeable future.
You won't get any hassle. I got no hassle going bare faced even when masks were legally required.

Falcon1200

Established Member
What is the purpose of the mask ? In my understanding, mainly to protect other people rather than oneself. So I will wear a mask wherever that applies, whether on a busy train, bus or within a shop, qualified by the fact that living in Scotland I may not have much choice anyway !

MattA7

I have left the rundown rural town I live in since March 2020 so I’m sure I would cope with not making the journey. If I had to I’m exempt from masks but as I feel not wearing one draws attention to myself I’m still very uncomfortable with it.

John Luxton

Established Member
There's one thing I've learnt from last April, there are more people than I thought perfectly happy to follow bloody silly rules.
But there are others when they see you not wearing a mask takes there's off! - It it is the security in numbers thing. If one person does it the others follow or at least have in my experience.

I would not be surprised that come Monday anti-lockdown activists will target retail businesses and transport operators that perpetuate the mask wearing - once that happens it will be game over. Given the very large numbers attending the protests in London and elsewhere which most mainstream media either ignore or try and depict as being extremists when faced with large numbers proprietors and operators are likely to back down.

Next week is going to be fun!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some people want to fundamentally change our society but that's not going to happen.

No-one can call you selfish for doing so, and from Monday in England there is no legal requirement to wear them, so please do travel by train.

Wombat

What is the purpose of the mask ? In my understanding, mainly to protect other people rather than oneself. So I will wear a mask wherever that applies, whether on a busy train, bus or within a shop, qualified by the fact that living in Scotland I may not have much choice anyway !
Same, though I'm in England. Masks don't eliminate transmission but they seem to provide more protection (to others) than not wearing one, so I'll keep wearing them in shops and on trains.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But there are others when they see you not wearing a mask takes there's off! - It it is the security in numbers thing. If one person does it the others follow or at least have in my experience.

I would not be surprised that come Monday anti-lockdown activists will target retail businesses and transport operators that perpetuate the mask wearing - once that happens it will be game over. Given the very large numbers attending the protests in London and elsewhere which most mainstream media either ignore or try and depict as being extremists when faced with large numbers proprietors and operators are likely to back down.

Next week is going to be fun!
How do you target a transport operator? Climbing on top of tube trains, or buses (as happened in London last Sunday after the end of a football match)? Sadiq Khan will not be around to see or hear these protests, any more than whichever Sainsbury is currently in nominal charge of the supermarket bearing the family name: it'll be down to some brave, but probably terrified, individual earning not an awful lot more than minimum wage with a family who just wish to see them return home unscathed at the end of the day. It seems to me that what you are hinting at could veer towards violence, which many might consider to be extremism, even though I wouldn't, necessarily. There seems to be no doubt from polls that a significant majority (i.e. more than 52%) don't consider ditching of masks in crowded indoor places to be appropriate yet, no doubt taking into account current covid transmission rates.

102 fan

Same, though I'm in England. Masks don't eliminate transmission but they seem to provide more protection (to others) than not wearing one, so I'll keep wearing them in shops and on trains.

Tell me, if they provide more protection, why didn't cases fall last winter?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's very questionable and I object to that claim but I don't want to get into that debate here as it's been done to death. I don't think it can be stated as fact without challenge but it's not for this thread.

How do you target a transport operator? Climbing on top of tube trains, or buses (as happened in London last Sunday after the end of a football match)? Sadiq Khan will not be around to see or hear these protests, any more than whichever Sainsbury is currently in nominal charge of the supermarket bearing the family name: it'll be down to some brave, but probably terrified, individual earning not an awful lot more than minimum wage with a family who just wish to see them return home unscathed at the end of the day. It seems to me that what you are hinting at could veer towards violence, which many might consider to be extremism, even though I wouldn't, necessarily. There seems to be no doubt from polls that a significant majority (i.e. more than 52%) don't consider ditching of masks in crowded indoor places to be appropriate yet, no doubt taking into account current covid transmission rates.
Nothing like this is remotely likely to happen.

We will simply see a gradual return to normal, and life will slowly become much more bearable again for people with hidden disabilities, hearing impairments, medical conditions etc.

Current estimates are that we will see around a third of people initially not wearing masks and that figure will increase over time until those wearing masks are a small minority.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I will continue to wear mine when it’s crowded on the train or Tube, but take it off when there are few other people around.

It will be interesting to look at the railway usage statistics for next week, when they become available, to see what impact the end of the mask mandate has had on ridership.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The purpose of the mask is to give the illusion of safety. In reality no-one knows if they are actually effective in public use or not.

John Luxton

Established Member
Basically you create a situation where enforcement becomes impractical and not worth the effort. It does not have to be violent. Only needs a large number to turn up and who ever is charged with the task of enforcement becomes overwhelmed. If I was in that situation discretion would be the better form a valour. To be honest I see those who have taken on the roll of Covid Marshalls on premises as being a fairly low form of humanity. People on an authoritarian ego trip. Something akin to the 21st Century equivalent of the 1940s ARP Warden. I call them "Hodges" after the ARP warden in Dad's Army. :D

What I read it was a 50/50 split on masks a couple of days ago. People are only concerned due to them having been subjected to psychological warfare waged by government to gain compliance. Around a month ago the Recovery Group circulated subscribers to their newsletters a request to people to write to back calls for the British Psychological Society to investigate the immoral use of covert psychological strategies by the government. Most pro maskers are unwitting victims.

Last edited:

Wombat

Tell me, if they provide more protection, why didn't cases fall last winter?
I'm not sure whether or not this is a serious question, and I'm also not sure whether or not I'm allowed to answer it given Yorkie's comment above. If this thread isn't the right place, where is?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure whether or not this is a serious question, and I'm also not sure whether or not I'm allowed to answer it given Yorkie's comment above. If this thread isn't the right place, where is?
It's been done to death before. Do a forum search for threads including 'mask' or 'coverings' in the title (in this section) to find the many threads discussing masks/face coverings.

If you have something new to add, which has not already been said before, and the most suitable thread(s) is/are locked, feel free to report the opening post of the thread concerned and include a draft of what you wish to post and we will consider reopening any such thread, if new information has come to light.

But the conclusion when it's cropped up before has always been there is no conclusive evidence either way, and all that happens is we just get arguments on both sides which don't conclude anything.

I've made a new one here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...erings-and-the-mandating-of-their-use.219985/

From now on can we please ensure we dedicate this thread to What would you do if the public transport services you normally use are still requiring masks after the government mandate is over?

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Sadiq Khan will not be around to see or hear these protests, any more than whichever Sainsbury is currently in nominal charge of the supermarket bearing the family name: it'll be down to some brave, but probably terrified, individual earning not an awful lot more than minimum wage with a family who just wish to see them return home unscathed at the end of the day.
I was not aware that Sainsbury's was mandating masks?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
These are Avanti's rules, which I am quite happy to observe: Avanti West Coast | Buy Train Tickets | No Booking Fee
In line with government guidance for England from 19 July, please respect others and, unless exempt, wear a face covering in crowded spaces throughout your journey.
If you're travelling to or within Wales or Scotland, you must continue to wear a face covering (unless exempt) when you're at stations and whilst onboard the train.

102 fan

GodAtum

On Moderation
Seems like Southern have removed the face masks requirement from their website

What should I do when I travel?​

• Always practise social distancing, both while on the train and at the station
  • Plan your journey carefully in advance. Some very early morning, late evening and weekend trains will still be affected by planned engineering works. Journey planners are currently being updated daily. Please check our red banner on the home page for the current status of the journey planners.
  • Avoid travelling during the peak – please be aware that some of our routes are busiest during peak times so if you can avoid them you'll find it easier to social distance. Details of our busiest times can be found here.
  • Buy tickets online or use contactless where possible. See below for advice on buying a ticket
  • Wash your hands before and after you travel. We have installed hand sanitizer at our larger stations, we do however recommend you bring your own with you as we do not have this facility on board our trains or all of our stations.
  • Please follow any staff advice to ensure your safety. Be considerate of others and respect priority seating and wheelchair spaces
  • Please place your litter in the bins provided, this will help our staff keep the stations and trains sanitised and clean

alex397

Established Member
I will continue to travel by public transport even if mask wearing is mandated by the operator. Just like I have been last year and this year, including on longer railway journeys such as between London and Scotland. I have no issue wearing a mask, but I can understand there are some who do. If that’s the case, then just don’t wear a mask as there’s no legal requirement, but I don’t understand the need to actively boycott public transport if you don’t like the rules.

greyman42

Established Member
I will continue to travel by public transport even if mask wearing is mandated by the operator. Just like I have been last year and this year, including on longer railway journeys such as between London and Scotland. I have no issue wearing a mask, but I can understand there are some who do. If that’s the case, then just don’t wear a mask as there’s no legal requirement, but I don’t understand the need to actively boycott public transport if you don’t like the rules.
To show your objection to the rules?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was not aware that Sainsbury's was mandating masks?
They aren't.

These are Avanti's rules, which I am quite happy to observe: Avanti West Coast | Buy Train Tickets | No Booking Fee
There is no rule as such; it's each person's choice (within England)

Seems like Southern have removed the face masks requirement from their website
Good as it's not a requirement on National Rail services (TfL excepted).

To show your objection to the rules?
You mean objection to the policy? You can do that by travelling without covering your face. No need to boycott trains.

Indeed it is the most vocal pro-maskers who intend to boycott; all the more reason for the rest of us to get on them.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Some mask wearing is completely ridiculous. Would you wear a mask in the UK's most remote station (this lady at Corrour was
)

Veteran Member
If you would prefer not to, why are you going to out of
1. There is a slight benefit to me as a vaccinated wearer, and at present infection levels that is significant.
2. I assume that mask wearing benefits others and
2a I in 20 of the population is Clinically Extremely Vulnerable and I have no way of knowing that there are no such people on board.
2b. Many people in public facing roles are far more liable to infection and less able (financially, domestically...) to protect others if they get infected.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It will be interesting to see/hear whether the automated announcements on trains continue tomorrow. I'm not due to take a train until at least Wednesday due to WFH until then.

greyman42

Established Member
You mean objection to the policy? You can do that by travelling without covering your face. No need to boycott trains.

Indeed it is the most vocal pro-maskers who intend to boycott; all the more reason for the rest of us to get on them.
Yes, that is what i meant. Thanks for the advice, i will take it on board, literally.

Tracked

Established Member
At the moment the service I normally use is a journey of 3 minutes coming back from town, so the mask thing's not a big issue. Some of the longer journeys I make I might do a mix of the other options, but haven't got anything planned at the moment so haven't looked at who's changing what from tomorrow

It will be interesting to see/hear whether the automated announcements on trains continue tomorrow.
I'd imagine they're going to be even longer :( Used to get A TPE from Sheffield to Doncaster and there was a particular guard who'd do announcements between the automated ones - a few times they managed to go on so long after leaving Sheffield (repeating a lot of the automated messages) that they only left a couple of seconds before the "We will shortly be arriving into Meadowhall" message came on.

DustyBin

Established Member
I’ve decided I’m not going to wear a sunflower band as of tomorrow. I’ll keep it with me but I see no reason to display it as I can’t be exempt from a mandate that doesn’t exist.

(Sorry if OT, I’m not sure if it’s a new thread worthy topic?)

WestRiding

At the moment the service I normally use is a journey of 3 minutes coming back from town, so the mask thing's not a big issue. Some of the longer journeys I make I might do a mix of the other options, but haven't got anything planned at the moment so haven't looked at who's changing what from tomorrow

I'd imagine they're going to be even longer :( Used to get A TPE from Sheffield to Doncaster and there was a particular guard who'd do announcements between the automated ones - a few times they managed to go on so long after leaving Sheffield (repeating a lot of the automated messages) that they only left a couple of seconds before the "We will shortly be arriving into Meadowhall" message came on.
don't get me started on the touchy feely pathetically voiced, over the top announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.