• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

Wyrleybart

Established Member
769 = North British diesel electric (= not fit for purpose).

How long do you give someone to "get it right" before you realise it's a waste of time?

How many 319 to 769 conversions have been "completed"?
All 8 Northern
All 9 TfW - assuming the 9th has been in passenger service ?
8 or 9 GWR with 4 having worked from Reading on mileage accumulation / testing
Several stored at Burton Nemesis waiting delivery to Reading - presume complete

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

js1000

Looks like only 442 and 448 are out today. 442 seems to be almost on time but 448 was 22 mins late starting at Southport.
Wdited to say: Just heard 434 on Stalybridge to Southport, pass Hindley and appears to be on time!
At what point do Northern just bite the bullet and say "let's just get 10 bi-mode 331s"? The bi-modes will probably happen - the hold up is CAF doing the development work to modify the 331.

AM9

Veteran Member
At what point do Northern just bite the bullet and say "let's just get 10 bi-mode 331s"? The bi-modes will probably happen - the hold up is CAF doing the development work to modify the 331.
Well there's a few issues to deal with first:
1) CAF haven't yet made any UK spec bi-mode MUs so expect a delivery date to be at least 2 years away
2) CAF trains are currently undergoing surveys and where necessary, fixes for their poorly-designed bogie-body anti-yaw damper arrangement
3) It seems rude to mention money, but the mid-teens spending spree is over so providing trains that have been specified for Northern Connect duties to run secondary services would seem conspicuously extravagent at the present time.
So expect more conclusive evidence of the 769s being inviable than just impatience over teething troubles.

Killingworth

Established Member
There was always going to be an experimental element with these trains and their entry into service took a lot longer than originally planned. Since the start of the project the need for short/medium term bimodes has become more urgent. However, the Covid crisis must make the ordering of any new trains financially delicate.

So, we have a small fleet of 769s which are being run in and their foibles better understood. When ordered it was expected that they'd run alongside 319s but that won't last as long as planned. We have larger fleets of 195 and 331s. There are a lot of 319s and other older electric units still around. With the experience from converting the 319s have lessons been learned that would allow further conversions at reasonable cost and with likely positive outcomes? Ideally any fleet needs to be bigger than the handful of 769s. A short order for 10 195/331s would also suffer small fleet syndrome but at least they'd be new and compatible with their cousins - maybe even able to work together.

Post Covid the electrification options will be; 1. soldier on with what we've got until more tracks are wired up and go straight to electric, 2. convert more old trains to bimode, 3. order new bimodes.

Option 2 involves reliability and performance of old units when converted, cost to convert, maintain and to run, time to produce, and the projected lifespan of the asset.

Options 1 and 3 are the most likely ways we'll go. New trains take time!

However, in the meantime 769s seemed to do better yesterday, and today is going reasonably well. No doubt those responsible for them will be analysing detailed reasons for all issues and taking steps to correct them. Hats may have to be eaten when a further batch of conversions gets ordered! (769434 performed well on the day we went to and from Southport.)

Wyrleybart

Established Member
However, in the meantime 769s seemed to do better yesterday, and today is going reasonably well. No doubt those responsible for them will be analysing detailed reasons for all issues and taking steps to correct them. Hats may have to be eaten when a further batch of conversions gets ordered! (769434 performed well on the day we went to and from Southport.)

Yes, but shouldn't at least five of the eight be in traffic every weekday with one more as spare ?

Question - how long after the first 769 was trialled between Crewe and Carnforth did a 769 venture out to Southport. This is particularly because the 769s were specifically ordered for Southport IIRC ?
At least the GWR units at Reading have visited all of their former SR routes, even if they might possibly not yet have visited their new Thames valley haunts. Almost like the TfW, ~Northern and GWR class 769s are run by three different TOCs - ooohhh they are !!!l

alex397

Established Member
Not sure if this information is useful, as I haven’t really been following this, but I saw 769 431 arrive at Liverpool Lime Street yesterday (Tuesday 13th)

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes, but shouldn't at least five of the eight be in traffic every weekday with one more as spare ?
Yes ideally, but as I said upthread, every failure is part of a process to remove those modes. As far as I know, there isn't anybody on here in a position to give official information on this process so if that is true then we are all speculating on their prospects, Those who seen to have pet hate of the 769s (which I suspect is a extension to the view of the cascaded 319s being 'London cast offs') just call for the programme to be abandoned and for new trains to be ordered. They shouldn't hold their breath on that one!
A few see that their reliability is gradually improving and from a passsenger's point of view will offer a better standard of accommodation (more space, quieter running on diesel and much faster/cleaner under the wires), but whether it is just luck or the snagging of the design working through we don't (yet) know.[/QUOTE]

JN114

Established Member
If new trains weren’t feasible when the project was conceived - and it is eminently evident that they weren’t otherwise they would have been ordered - they’re certainly not going to be feasible once all this money has been spent on what was feasible; at a time when railway spending is under the greatest scrutiny it has been under in 30 years; as the industry battles out of its biggest downturn in history.

They’re here. They’re improving. There’s a way for them still to go. But until there is a dramatic policy shift on how the railways are funded, or the working-age population of the North West quadruples overnight - there just isn’t the pennies in the revenue bucket to support anything else.

Killingworth

Established Member

Question - how long after the first 769 was trialled between Crewe and Carnforth did a 769 venture out to Southport. This is particularly because the 769s were specifically ordered for Southport IIRC ?
At least the GWR units at Reading have visited all of their former SR routes, even if they might possibly not yet have visited their new Thames valley haunts. Almost like the TfW, ~Northern and GWR class 769s are run by three different TOCs - ooohhh they are !!!l
Yes, we should expect at least five to be in service with another spare, leaving 2more spare spares given that on introduction they should be perfect!

Today 431, 434, 442, 448, and 456 seem to have been out.

The idea of running them in 3 parts of the country with different operators and to different specs sounds like extended trials of the concept, but not an ideal way to operate a fleet - for any of the operators, although GWR will have enough to call theirs a fleet.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If I missed the last train of the day (or even worse a flight), due to the late arrival of a problematic 769 on a connecting service, I'd be extremely peeved.

I have no inside information whatsoever on these units, but based on the threads on here they don't appear to be "much cop". Whether that is down to poor design and/or installation (integration) or poor equipment (or both), I have no idea, but someone needs to be seen to get a grip of the project, because it really isn't fair on the travelling public.

Edit: I also hope it is not some vain attempt at virtue signalling for "environmental reasons". They'd just be better-off running a spruced-up 150 (freed-up after the arrival of the 195s).

AM9

Veteran Member
If I missed the last train of the day (or even worse a flight), due to the late arrival of a problematic 769 on a connecting service, I'd be extremely peeved.
So would most people be 'peeved' if a train failure caused their travel arrangements to be disrupted.

I have no inside information whatsoever on these units, but based on the threads on here they don't appear to be "much cop". Whether that is down to poor design and/or installation (integration) or poor equipment (or both), I have no idea, but someone needs to be seen to get a grip of the project, because it really isn't fair on the travelling public.
It doesn't seem that anybody on this furum has inside information (to offer) but I don't accept that random personal anecdotes represent a source of useful information either.

Edit: I also hope it is not some vain attempt at virtue signalling for "environmental reasons". They'd just be better-off running a spruced-up 150 (freed-up after the arrival of the 195s).
Trying to address the scandalous practice of operating diesel trains on lines with full OLE is far from 'environmental virtue signalling' and something that will be increasingly needed in the future. Every 769 that runs a Sothport to Alderley Edge diagram is about a 46% saving in diesel burning including not adding to pollution in the Castlefield corridor. The trains are also said to be more economical than the 150s and also according to almost every report, much quieter. 40 year old torque converters are no match for an genset and DC traction motors.

Established Member
Post Covid the electrification options will be; 1. soldier on with what we've got until more tracks are wired up and go straight to electric, 2. convert more old trains to bimode, 3. order new bimodes.

Option 2 involves reliability and performance of old units when converted, cost to convert, maintain and to run, time to produce, and the projected lifespan of the asset.

Options 1 and 3 are the most likely ways we'll go. New trains take time!
I’d be leaning towards options 1 or 2. The question with option 1 is how long will it take to electrify a sufficient number of lines that all 150s can be taken out of service, followed in the next few years by 156s and 158s, leaving all remaining unelectrified lines in the hands of 195s and battery units (some 331s e.g. Windermere or potentially 777s in the case of Ormskirk - Preston and Ellesmere Port - Helsby). Will hydrogen have become mainstream by then to power trains on routes where electrification is uneconomic?

A slightly better bi-mode conversion of either the remaining Northern 319s (when they replaced by West Midlands 323s) or even the 365s (although I am unaware if they have sufficient space for engines that the 319s had) seem like a reasonable stop gap on the condition that progress is being made on electrification. Unfortunately hundreds of miles of electrification of secondary
I presume you know when the first 769 was trialled on the WCML. Answer: a 769 first reached Southport on a test run on 25 February 2020, without any interior fittings present e.g. seats, where the engines failed to start for the return working so it was left there for a few days and they first ran in passenger service to Southport on 17 May 2021.
Not sure if this information is useful, as I haven’t really been following this, but I saw 769 431 arrive at Liverpool Lime Street yesterday (Tuesday 13th)
It appears they reverse there en route from Allerton Depot to Wigan. Apparently it’s also possible to catch an 8 car 769 ECS at Lime Street. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L10550/2021-07-13/detailed#allox_id=0
The last arrival at Southport starts at Blackburn, so is always run by a Sprinter and it arrives at least 40 minutes after the last connecting Merseyrail service has left. At the other end, the last departure that can be a 769 only goes as far as Wigan and is supposed to there long before the last connections leave.
Trying to address the scandalous practice of operating diesel trains on lines with full OLE is far from 'environmental virtue signalling' and something that will be increasingly needed in the future. Every 769 that runs a Sothport to Alderley Edge diagram is about a 46% saving in diesel burning including not adding to pollution in the Castlefield corridor. The trains are also said to be more economical than the 150s and also according to almost every report, much quieter. 40 year old torque converters are no match for an genset and DC traction motors.
The total distance from Southport to Alderley Edge via Bolton and Stockport is 51 miles 75 chains. Of this, the 769s run 27 miles 11 chains on Diesel and 24 miles 64 chains on electric. This equates to a 47.75% saving on Diesel mileage under the wires, however if trains on the Wigan side could stop at Lostock, where the electrification actually starts, this saves a further 3 miles 3 chains under the wires, running 53.6% of the route mileage with the pan up. This does mean that any DMU on a Southport - Alderley Edge diagram is running for most of the distance under the wires. Every 769 eliminates 89.1% of this Diesel mileage. I haven’t done the working out for services that terminate at Stalybridge or Oxford Road, or that run via Atherton, but they obviously aren’t as bad. The Stalybridge electrification changes things though. Buxton and Windermere services are some of the other worst offenders. It should be noted that the engines themselves on 150s are almost 40 years old. The engines fitted to 195s and 769s are brand new and therefore much more efficient and equally less polluting.

Attachments

• B4906D6E-ADA3-4F76-91E3-05034626B640.jpeg
    B4906D6E-ADA3-4F76-91E3-05034626B640.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36

Established Member
A slightly better bi-mode conversion of either the remaining Northern 319s (when they replaced by West Midlands 323s) or even the 365s (although I am unaware if they have sufficient space for engines that the 319s had) seem like a reasonable stop gap on the condition that progress is being made on electrification. Unfortunately hundreds of miles of electrification of secondary

There won't be any more 768s or 769s after the current orders. The powerplant of choice no longer meets emissions standards and there's nothing else available which fits in the space that's available underneath the driving cars of the donor units.

Meerkat

Established Member
There won't be any more 768s or 769s after the current orders. The powerplant of choice no longer meets emissions standards and there's nothing else available which fits in the space that's available underneath the driving cars of the donor units.
As the Hydrogen units are using a model involving losing seats to fit power plants inside the train (as do the Anglia Stadler) is there anything stopping diesel hybrids doing the same?

Halish Railway

Established Member
I presume you know when the first 769 was trialled on the WCML. Answer: a 769 first reached Southport on a test run on 25 February 2020, without any interior fittings present e.g. seats, where the engines failed to start for the return working so it was left there for a few days and they first ran in passenger service to Southport on 17 May 2021.
I have a picture of a 769 at Southport taken on February 20th 2020 with seats fitted, although I do think that they had been going to Southport several times a week for a few weeks before that.

Established Member
As the Hydrogen units are using a model involving losing seats to fit power plants inside the train (as do the Anglia Stadler) is there anything stopping diesel hybrids doing the same?

I'd imagine something in a similar configuration to a 210 should be possible, in theory at least.

AM9

Veteran Member
There definitely were test runs to Southport in the Feb of 2020.
Yes there were, - see post #4461 of this thread for three pictures of 769s. One of 769442, one of 769450 and a third with no number showing but definitely Southport station.

Picture furnished by local boy @LDECRexile who at that time also confirmed that their engines were much more acceptable in noise terms than clapped-out 150s.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member

No, the Northern 769s were not originally ordered for the Southport line.

The original 2016 Arriva Rail North rolling stock plan included 319s to work electric services from both Alderley Edge and Stalybridge to Wigan North Western via Bolton, starting December 2017, per the Northern franchise agreement. These services required 6 diagrams in total, interworked at Wigan.

When electrification of Lostock - Wigan and Victoria - Stalybridge was paused, Arriva and the DfT agreed that 8 of Northern's 319s should be converted to 769s, to work all the Wigan NW via Bolton services. This allowed for 6 units in service with 2 on exams. However, the delays to the 769 programme forced Northern to find DMUs to work these services when they eventually started.

Subsequently, political pressure from Southport users forced Northern to extend both the Alderley Edge and Stalybridge services from Wigan to Southport in 2019, with the previous services from Leeds and Blackburn to Southport via Atherton cut back to Wigan. The extensions required three more diagrams, making a total of nine, five Alderley Edge and four Stalybridge.

This history explains why the Northern 769 fleet is not large enough to work all the southport services. Three of the four Southport - Stalybridge diagrams still have to be worked by DMUs, even with the full turnout of six 769s.

However, the Manchester Recovery Taskforce is proposing (see https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...able-consultation.213089/page-44#post-5221019) to split the Southport - Alderley Edge route at Manchester from December 2022, with separate Southport - Oxford Road and Piccadilly - Alderley Edge services, the latter being worked by EMUs. I guess it might then be possible for six 769 diagrams to cover all the Southport services, with shorter turnarounds and interworking at Southport.

Elecman

Established Member
And that is the problem as even though the engines don’t meet the latest standard environment wise they are much better than the 40 year old Sprinter engines !! So far better to use those and accept they dont meet the standard for the limited remaining life of these converted units

XAM2175

Established Member
Any idea what the (I assume) minor issues were?
The post you quoted is a question, not a statement.

And that is the problem as even though the engines don’t meet the latest standard environment wise they are much better than the 40 year old Sprinter engines !! So far better to use those and accept they dont meet the standard for the limited remaining life of these converted units
It's up to the government to make an exception allowing that.

Senna1210

The ones fitted at the moment are euro 6 sprinters dont even fit into the euro scale

Established Member

I agree entirely, but it is what it is!