• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible end to paper tickets in South East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
My understanding from one of the crossrail papers when Contactless was extended to reading is that as part of this , TfL will develop a stand alone card that can be loaded with season tickets , Railcards and other concessions. That will use CPAY technology to implement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
My understanding from one of the crossrail papers when Contactless was extended to reading is that as part of this , TfL will develop a stand alone card that can be loaded with season tickets , Railcards and other concessions. That will use CPAY technology to implement.
What, like an ITSO smartcard?

bakerstreet

I wondered if we had insiders on here who had any more tangible information regarding the likely future of ticketing in the south east around London.

In particular, a few main areas I’m unclear about from this thread.

1. How likely the planned extension of contactless in the south east would live alongside e-tickets at the same or very similar prices, or where contactless existed between station pairs whether e-tickets would be charged at a premium rate or lose off peak versions as happened in the London area, or e-tickets abolished completely.

2. In the extended contactless area will there be a pre-morning peak off-peak window (eg for journeys tapping in before 0630) as with existing Oyster or would the contactless off peak restrictions be the same as now where mostly peak begins at 0430

3. Do we know if we are any closer to the delivery of railcard discounts to contactless.

4. Will the journey outside the core Oyster area contribute towards any sort of daily cap, or would would the outer fringes be an add on (eg Gatwick Express)
And if there was a south east contactless area cap, would peak journeys in the afternoon peak be capped at the off peak daily cap as with Oyster.

Haywain

Veteran Member
2. In the extended contactless area will there be a pre-morning peak off-peak window (eg for journeys tapping in before 0630) as with existing Oyster or would the contactless off peak restrictions be the same as now where mostly peak begins at 0430
That currently exists at the outer limits so it's not an unreasonable expectation.
3. Do we know if we are any closer to the delivery of railcard discounts to contactless.
No idea, but it would be very welcome.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That currently exists at the outer limits so it's not an unreasonable expectation.
It does but I would imagine that whether it survives the extension will depend on whether they feel it would cost too much in lost peak revenue.

Ultimately any change will need to be revenue neutral or slightly in favour of the Treasury and experience with the existing extensions will no doubt feed into the considerations.

I think any insiders will be reluctant to talk too much about this.
I'm not really sure what the travelling public can do with early information anyway. It isn't as if we are going to start saving or making different plans as a result of knowing train fares are going to increase in 2024.

Fares may well be 15% more than today in 2024 anyway given current and expected levels of inflation.

A GWR press release in March, at the time of the extension of Contactless to Henley and Windsor Central, stated:
  • It is not yet possible to get Railcard discounts or child fares on Contactless. This is something TfL Rail is working on for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.