• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible Route Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

A number of years ago I was on holiday on the Isle of Wight. I met someone who told me that they had flown from Leeds Bradford to Sandown Airport.
Does anybody know whether this was ever possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
This is not really my area of expertise, but I have long understood that Sandown is private flights only, although there were muttering about regular flights a few years ago.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A number of years ago I was on holiday on the Isle of Wight. I met someone who told me that they had flown from Leeds Bradford to Sandown Airport.
Anything is possible if it was a charter for a group of people. Sandown has, I think, never seen scheduled airline service.

Gloster

Established Member
There is a Wight Aviation Museum, which seems to be based at Sandown/Isle of Wight Airport and has a website. (I find it difficult to take seriously somewhere with a grass runway calling itself an airport.)

Skymonster

Established Member
Yes, British Midland operated DC-3s to Sandown on Saturdays during the 60s, mainly from Castle Donington.

hermit

Bembridge Airport has a concrete runway and has been used occasionally for scheduled services (including a service carrying cars from Southampton). None of them lasted for any length of time.
I have heard it said that on at least one occasion a jet plane landed there.

hermit

Yes, nearly. In 1955 a company called BKS ran a service from Leeds/Bradford to Bembridge (not Sandown). It used a Dakota plane. There is a photo in the Bembridge Heritage Centre.
In 1956 there was a service from Liverpool.
Coaches met the planes to take passengers to hotels in Sandown and Shanklin.

pitdiver

Yes, nearly. In 1955 a company called BKS ran a service from Leeds/Bradford to Bembridge (not Sandown). It used a Dakota plane. There is a photo in the Bembridge Heritage Centre.
In 1956 there was a service from Liverpool.
Coaches met the planes to take passengers to hotels in Sandown and Shanklin.
Thanks for that info. Sorry for the misleading info re Sandown Airport. Do you know how long the service lasted

Status
Not open for further replies.