• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-court settlement offer letter has come through the post

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahhhhx

Due to personal reasons I had to leave home and had nowhere to stay. So a family member booked me a train ticket to stay with my boyfriend, not realising they had booked me a child ticket, I did not notice either. Until I was stopped at a train station, I would have been happy to pay the difference on the day but I didn’t have much money on me and needed what I had to live off while I was away from home. I do understand this is unacceptable but the man that spoke to me told me the letter would have the difference on and I was more than happy to pay it, even if there was a fee on as well, but had a letter through and it says I have to pay £194 by 21st December which is just a few days before Christmas. It also states if I do not pay it by this time they will charge an extra £180. This has caused so much stress as I always use trains and have never been in trouble before with anyone and due to Covid I haven’t been able to work much. Am I able to pay this back in instalments? I’m happy to pay it back but paying it all back just a couple of days before Christmas is a bit much.

Note - I would be happy to pay this next month as it’s a bit of a difficult month for money. Does anyone know if they would be reasonable about this considering the timing?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I do understand this is unacceptable but the man that spoke to me told me the letter would have the difference on and I was more than happy to pay it, even if there was a fee on as well, but had a letter through and it says I have to pay £194 by 21st December which is just a few days before Christmas.
It's an unfortunate situation, but that is about typical - the fare due plus administrative fees which are normally between £80 and £150.
Am I able to pay this back in instalments? I’m happy to pay it back but paying it all back just a couple of days before Christmas is a bit much.
The train company is unlikely to accept payment in installments, it's all or nothing. This is because if you fail to make the payments they then have to start a separate debt-recovery case.

Is there any chance you can borrow the money to make the payment and then pay that back in installments?

hannahhhhx

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand this, the man that interviewed me did not make this clear, I would have paid the difference right there and then and left myself short for the week if I knew it would be this much. Anyway, I am waiting for an email back from them, it’s worth asking about. I would happily pay half this month and half next month as well. If not I will have to ask someone to lend me it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand this, the man that interviewed me did not make this clear, I would have paid the difference right there and then and left myself short for the week if I knew it would be this much. Anyway, I am waiting for an email back from them, it’s worth asking about. I would happily pay half this month and half next month as well. If not I will have to ask someone to lend me it.

I would strongly suggest you do that, because instalments are very unlikely to be offered. If the sum isn't paid as requested, the TOC has a clear case for prosecution and you could end up with a criminal record.

It's not just a matter of "paying the difference" because lots of people would try it on all the time and just "pay the difference" if caught.

hannahhhhx

I understand. I will happily pay it, it’s just the timing which is worrying. I know it’s my own fault. I just wish I had a little more time to pay the full thing as it’s right before Christmas. I’d have no problem paying it in Jan. Is there anything else I can do to buy myself a bit more time?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I understand. I will happily pay it, it’s just the timing which is worrying. I know it’s my own fault. I just wish I had a little more time to pay the full thing as it’s right before Christmas. I’d have no problem paying it in Jan. Is there anything else I can do to buy myself a bit more time?
Can you post the journey concerned, stations to and from? - that would help illustrate what you are being asked to pay in terms of the fare unpaid and the costs they are asking for. Or you can look up the fare yourself and post it here if you would rather not state the journey details (find it on National rail website for example)

Although I can't think of anything else you can do to buy more time short of asking them if you can pay in 2 installments (no harm in asking), in your request stress the genuine nature of the error and your circs and a profuse apology - as you have made clear in your posts here sort of thing. I suspect it is a long shot.

I imagine the only way to get payment by instalments (as a court may permit that option) is if it goes to court (you will be found guilty I strongly suspect), but very high chance you will have to pay more overall, and you will have a criminal record which is best avoided if possible, and only real way to garuantee avoiding that is to pay this sum requested.

Given I guess the family member who helped you buy a ticket was maybe muddled up about your age and thought you were of child age, probably a good idea to get a Railcard if you can (or ask for one as a gift even, maybe).

Anyway - sorry good luck with this as no doubt things have not been easy for you re your housing situation.

hannahhhhx

Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand how much they are charging me as I looked on their website and it is the full fare x2. I want to avoid going to court but I’ll have no other option if I’m unable to make the payment, but I should be fine. I just don’t want to leave myself short on Christmas. I will get a railcard, I’ve been meaning to for a while now but totally forgot. Hopefully I will be able to sort an arrangement with them and if not I will have to ask someone to borrow which isn’t really ideal before Christmas but it’s just one of them

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand how much they are charging me as I looked on their website and it is the full fare x2. I want to avoid going to court but I’ll have no other option if I’m unable to make the payment, but I should be fine. I just don’t want to leave myself short on Christmas. I will get a railcard, I’ve been meaning to for a while now but totally forgot. Hopefully I will be able to sort an arrangement with them and if not I will have to ask someone to borrow which isn’t really ideal before Christmas but it’s just one of them
Well, good luck, and feel free to post on this thread if you need more advice. Note there are now various railcards for post 16 years of age with slightly different t&cs so have a good look to see which one best meets your needs.

MotCO

Established Member
Although I can't think of anything else you can do to buy more time short of asking them if you can pay in 2 installments (no harm in asking), in your request stress the genuine nature of the error and your circs and a profuse apology - as you have made clear in your posts here sort of thing. I suspect it is a long shot.

Another long shot maybe setting out why you can pay the second instalment in January - e.g. are you receiving a grant, salary etc in January - to demonstrate that you are serious about paying off the balance and that you are not just stringing them along. The worst thing from the TOC's perspective is incurring additional cost or hassle chasing debts, but if you can demonstrate your honest intentions it might just sway it.

hannahhhhx

I can pay it on 21st (when I get paid) and then again on the 18th Jan if that is possible. It is worth a try anyways.

najaB

Veteran Member
I can pay it on 21st (when I get paid) and then again on the 18th Jan if that is possible. It is worth a try anyways.
There's no guarantee that they'll agree to this (or be able to do it) but if those are your pay dates then they might (and I stress might) agree to a direct debit for the amounts due. At the very least, offering it makes it appear that you are serious about paying the fee.

hannahhhhx

Just had some good news, I am able to pay the full amount by the end of Jan which is better for me. Thanks for your help.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Just had some good news, I am able to pay the full amount by the end of Jan which is better for me. Thanks for your help.
Good outcome! Thanks for update. Would you feel able to mention which train company / enforcement body if they have contracted it out that you are dealing with? - handy for future ref / other readers given some seem more flexible than others.

Veteran Member
Glad you have resolved this. Only you can know, but I wonder if the kind family member who bought you a child ticket might be kind enough to contribute towards it?

RunawayTrain

Good outcome. Also curious about the motives of the family member who bought you a child ticket.

FenMan

Established Member
Good outcome. Also curious about the motives of the family member who bought you a child ticket.

Family members can mean well, but can also get it very wrong.
When I was 17, an aunt's Christmas present was a jigsaw suitable for a 10 year old!

island

Veteran Member
There's no guarantee that they'll agree to this (or be able to do it) but if those are your pay dates then they might (and I stress might) agree to a direct debit for the amounts due. At the very least, offering it makes it appear that you are serious about paying the fee.
They won’t have the facilities to arrange payment by direct debit.

Status
Not open for further replies.