• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-WW2 stock in regular service

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Following my recent trip to the Island Line on the Isle of Wight, which we all know has the oldest rolling stock in the UK (the Class 483, ‘1938 stock’), it has got me wondering if there is anywhere else in the world which has pre-WW2 stock in regular passenger service (well technically, the remaining units operating the Island Line were built in 1940, which was during WW2, not before).
Any thoughts?

Heritage railways largely don’t count, but of course there may be some heritage railways which might have a regular passenger service aimed at commuters, so those ones could count.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
The Harz narrow gauge railways in Germany are mainly operated by 1950s steam locos, but there's several operational locos in their fleet from various designs built between 1897 and 1939. There's also a diesel railcar from 1933. Not sure how often they get used, but they're available, and the railway uses steam on a day-in, day-out regular service basis. I therefore don't consider it a heritage railway.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Following my recent trip to the Island Line on the Isle of Wight, which we all know has the oldest rolling stock in the UK (the Class 483, ‘1938 stock’)...

Even in Southern Railway days the Isle of Wight always seemed to rely on cast-offs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only place in Britain where anything that old is in regular use.

alex397

Established Member
Even in Southern Railway days the Isle of Wight always seemed to rely on cast-offs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the only place in Britain where anything that old is in regular use.

Yes, nothing beats the Island Line in terms of old stock in Britain (excluding heritage railways)

On Moderation
The Schynige Platte Bahn in Switzerland exclusively uses old electric locomotives for its regular services. The newest loco in the fleet was built in 1914.

SeanG

The Scarborough Bay railway is still serving its original purpose, ferrying tourists about, so not sure whether it counts as a heritage railway, a murky discussion for another thread.
But its steam outline diesel hydraulics are rather old.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Isle of Man Railway is still running stuff that predates WWI, never mind WWII. Fenella, pulling my train yesterday, dates from 1894.

Not sure if it fully meets the criteria; whilst it is fairly sensibly marketed as a "heritage" railway, it is nationalised and run by the government, not volunteers or a charity.

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Isle of Man Railway is still running stuff that predates WWI, never mind WWII. Fenella, pulling my train yesterday, dates from 1894.

Not sure if it fully meets the criteria; whilst it is fairly sensibly marketed as a "heritage" railway, it is nationalised and run by the government, not volunteers or a charity.

It's included in the Isle of Man travel pass, so I would say it counts.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Hythe Pier Railway uses WW1 locos.

Lynton Lynmouth Cliff Railway still serves its original purpose since opening in 1888, although not sure of the age of the rolling stock.

Veteran Member
I think that there are some pre-war railcars or DMUs in Romania.
Class 77 Malaxa cars are prewar, if any are still working? Class 78 is fractionally newer.

The RhB Baby Crocodiles go back to 1921, and they were this winter still in irregular "normal" service, and the Rigi lines in Switzerland have some original 30s railcars and shunters (Wikipedia).

SHD

The Petit Train Jaune (Villefranche - Latour de Carol) still operates in France with pre-WWI (!) metre-gauge rolling stock built between 1908 and 1912. Although there are certainly many enthusiast passengers, especially in summer when open top coaches are used in the train consist, it is a regular TER service. Probably the oldest rolling stock in continuous service in Europe, although significantly refurbished at least twice.

Lloyds siding

The Manx Electric Railway probably falls into the 'heritage rail' category of the OP, in that it has always been seasonal and doesn't run in winter. However, AFAIK, it has run every year since opening in 1893: the original cars No.1 and No. 2 date from this year, and, because of the less hectic timetable this year, appear to be undergoing their first really major overhaul and refurbishment! The majority of power cars and trailers are Victorian, and some of the infrastructure is too.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Since Racing Roland in Ruegen uses the same stock as Harz Schmalspurbahn, as do a couple of other narrow gauge railways near Dresden, I presume some of their stock will be pre WWII

Veteran Member
Since Racing Roland in Ruegen uses the same stock as Harz Schmalspurbahn, as do a couple of other narrow gauge railways near Dresden, I presume some of their stock will be pre WWII
Molli, the Bad Doberan-Bad Kühlungsborn line on the Baltic coast, has only one postwar loco serviceable, so is the best German example.

The oldest Harz steam loco in regular use would be 99.6001 of 1939, while neither of the prewar railcars is in normal use.
The ex-Saxon class IV-K Mallets are relatively common, but I am not sure if any of them is used on regular service trains.
Not sure about the coaches - I suspect they are like many former SR EMUs, newer bodies on older underframes!

Moving to France, ISTR the Rhune rack line uses its original locos.

All these are essentially tourist lines, but operating regularly through the year.

MarcVD

Cuba... Hershey railway, if it still runs, has Brill cars built around 1920, and second hand Spanish cars, heavily rebuilt, but originally dating from 1944. Plus may be some sugar cane harvesting railways that still use century old steamers...

In North Corea, the first electrification dates from 1944. It is said (but not verified) that 9 of the locomotives that were built for this electrification by Toshiba in 1943-1944 could still be in reserve or even operational.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
The Mallets on the Harzquerbahn are complicated and not so powerful, Neubauloks from the 1950s are used mostly
One used to work the second (long weekend) steam diagram on the Selketal line, where trains are much lighter (not sure it runs at all now).

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Orient Express stock.

Not used in regular passenger service. Charter stuff doesn't count here.

There is some ex-CIWL stuff still in service with various sleeper companies, the oldest being the AB30s, originally CIWL Type Ps before their rebuilds.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not used in regular passenger service. Charter stuff doesn't count here.

There is some ex-CIWL stuff still in service with various sleeper companies, the oldest being the AB30s, originally CIWL Type Ps before their rebuilds.

Doesn't the stock get used weekly if to different destinations? Pretty sure it goes regularly to Prague.

daodao

Established Member
So trams in Lisbon and Milan count?
Presumably Porto as well: it has 3 heritage regular tram lines.

Other possible examples include the Ferrocarril de Soller and Soller tramway, and the heritage Muni E and F streetcar lines in San Francisco. The Ashmont-Mattapan line in Boston uses PCC streetcars dating from 1945.

Spoorslag '70

The "Gleichenberger Bahn" (Feldbach-Bad Gleichenberg) in Austria still use their original (early) 1930s stock. The line is still public transport until the december timetable change.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some of the older still operational Blackpool trams must date back to the 1930's, but don't think they are ever in regular use.

One used to work the second (long weekend) steam diagram on the Selketal line, where trains are much lighter (not sure it runs at all now).
IMG_20201015_095437.jpgThey were the sole occupants of the Selketalban when I first visited it in 1973. I took this photo when the stasi weren't looking!
[QUOTE="StephenHunter, post: 4819772, member: 50741"
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_095437.jpg
    IMG_20201015_095437.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.