• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonman2014

Unlikely to be more than 100 per lorry; each new concrete sleeper (G44 type) weighs over 300kg. 100 of those is 30 tonnes.

Sorry I meant - seen several lorries containing approx hundred per lorry (so hundreds sleepers over all the lorries).
If that makes sense ?

Next time see a delivery will count them !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amlag

Ah - that’s more like it.

A couple of hundred baseplated new softwood slprs were delivered by Lorry to the NR Okehampton compound last October and then taken by Road Railer to various sites to be inserted into the track adjacent to a rotten slpr to prevent the chances of track spreading, prior to the first planned heavy trains delivering new CWR ( From Scunthorpe Steel Works via Eastleigh Rail welding depot ) on 21/22 Nov 2020 and the first train on 13/14 Jan 2021 of new concrete sleepers made at Trackmol in Doncaster.

Some new 60' BH and FB rails, mostly for replacing defective odd rails in jointed track not planned for relaying by the Track Construction Train in April/May this year, have come by very large lorry from Scunthorpe to Okehampton, to the slight concern of some residents of Station Road in Okehampton.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just listening to a class 70 winding up on its way to Okehampton at the moment (22:44, 25/2/2021). :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That cannot be quiet!
Absolutely agree! As coincidentally just as @Cowley posted last evening one howled past where I reside 1km south of Reddish South Station and they really do make their presence felt both on approach and after passing, can only imagine what they would sound like in the exceptionally quiet environs of mid Devon?

Established Member
Photos on Facebook of 70808 and 70811 at Okehampton. Due for departure approx 1500-1700 this evening back to Westbury.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Absolutely agree! As coincidentally just as @Cowley posted last evening one howled past where I reside 1km south of Reddish South Station and they really do make their presence felt both on approach and after passing, can only imagine what they would sound like in the exceptionally quiet environs of mid Devon?

Yes they certainly make a bit of a noise. I knew it was coming so I was keeping a bit of an ear out.

red cuillen

taken this morning by a friend of mine who lives there, but unfortunately has little interest in the railway. There was some-one else there with a proper looking camera so we might get more pics at some point!

Attachments

• okey1.jpg
    okey1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 243
  • okey2.jpg
    okey2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 243

davetheguard

Established Member
taken this morning by a friend of mine who lives there, but unfortunately has little interest in the railway. There was some-one else there with a proper looking camera so we might get more pics at some point!

Thanks for the pics red cullen & welcome to the forum!

Does anyone know if it's still just a matter of unloading materials at Okehampton station; or has some actual track work started now?

Devonman2014

Thanks for the pics red cullen & welcome to the forum!

Does anyone know if it's still just a matter of unloading materials at Okehampton station; or has some actual track work started now?

Repair works go the existing infrastructure has been done to allow freight train access.

CWR has been dropped along most if not the whole length of the line.
I understand There’s been sleepers delivered to Okehampton (now 2 train loads) and various lorry loads then using RRV’S distributed along the route ready for use.

To best of my knowledge very little if any track and sleepers have been replaced.

fgwrich

Established Member
I wonder if the line will be due a visit from Balfour Beatty's NTC Machine at some point in the spring then, given all the preparation work's we've seen so far.

(For anyone not familiar with the impressive work of the NTC Machine, here's Balfour Beatty's video of it)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wonder if the line will be due a visit from Balfour Beatty's NTC Machine at some point in the spring then, given all the preparation work's we've seen so far.

(For anyone not familiar with the impressive work of the NTC Machine, here's Balfour Beatty's video of it)

It’s possible, but normally that brings the sleepers with it. It sounds like sleepers have already been delivered.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

If they were going to use that machine, why would they be distributing sleepers the way they are?

fgwrich

Established Member
If they were going to use that machine, why would they be distributing sleepers the way they are?

There is that, although I'm sure it can work either by having sleepers and rails delivered to it from behind, or at certain points along the route - I remember seeing it being loaded in such a way while working the A to B project in Scotland, picking up a load of sleepers that had been delivered to Caldercruix. The rails had been dragged to certain points by RRVs.

Either way, it's good to see another delivery.

Yoki

Yes, thats very likely. Whilst the NTC usually brings its own materials it would need replenishing for the required yardage and duration of stay.

pompeyfan

Established Member
How do they go about signalling trains to and from Okehampton? By that I mean will the method be upgraded or will the heritage side still be responsible? Or will Crediton effectively control the train for the duration of the journey?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
View attachment 89610

East of Okehampton masterplan has the station as part of parcel 1 with a contribution from the developer. except for a bit of new road and a roundabout not much has been developed.
(Commenting after a month)
Am I alone in wondering why the 'master plan' has open space and (presumably low density) employment close to the station and most of the new housing as far away as possible?
Are there specific geographic or other features of this part of Okehampton that have led to this? Perhaps the new local residents are all assumed to work in Okehampton and the station would actually be a 'parkway' for the wider area?

DaveHarries

Established Member

Very interesting video. Certainly seems to take much of the hassle out of doing that sort of job.

Dave

Devonman2014

Yes, thats very likely. Whilst the NTC usually brings its own materials it would need replenishing for the required yardage and duration of stay.

From what I been told on site keep an eye out on 16th March ....

Very specific reason why !

REVUpminster

Engineering work to upgrade track closes the whole line between St David's and Barnstaple 10 April and 18 April with trains to Crediton operating from 14 April.

it does say they are extending the platform at Eggesford as well.

It has to be something to do with Okehampton. Maybe using the existing track to renew the old.

Devonman2014

Engineering work to upgrade track closes the whole line between St David's and Barnstaple 10 April and 18 April with trains to Crediton operating from 14 April.

it does say they are extending the platform at Eggesford as well.

It has to be something to do with Okehampton. Maybe using the existing track to renew the old.

There is a new bridge (concrete and steel structure) to replace an existing bridge at Penstone on the Barnstaple line (after the junction) but it is close so I don’t know if trains to okehampton could operate whilst the bridge is going in.

Although I was led to believe it was being done In May not April.

In regards to okehampton line today there was workers at Sampford Courtenay station working with some welfare and storage units on site as well as a porta loo.

Down at former North Tawton station some generator powered floodlights and a digger with a few road rail machines parked up indicating been (or going to be) some night working in the area.

red cuillen

According to my friend (who doesn't understand the interest in the railway - and the fustration from those of us not allowed to travel) there was also a digger up at Meldon removing trees ''from the line'' - I guess they are thinking ahead to bird nesting season which must be pretty soon.

Devonman2014

According to my friend (who doesn't understand the interest in the railway - and the fustration from those of us not allowed to travel) there was also a digger up at Meldon removing trees ''from the line'' - I guess they are thinking ahead to bird nesting season which must be pretty soon.

If this was yesterday I was at Meldon yesterday (working) and they were cutting trees away from the aqua blue lagoon that is apparently not good for swimming in - nothing to do with NR works or opening the line. Was purely to stop trees getting in lagoon ...

Got photos but don’t know how to add to a post.

fgwrich

Established Member
If this was yesterday I was at Meldon yesterday (working) and they were cutting trees away from the aqua blue lagoon that is apparently not good for swimming in - nothing to do with NR works or opening the line. Was purely to stop trees getting in lagoon ...

Got photos but don’t know how to add to a post.
Photos would be great to see if you can - you can add them by hitting the "Attach Files" button, which should bring up a menu either from your phone or tablet etc.

Is the Blue Lagoon the one not far from Meldon station?

Devonman2014

Photos would be great to see if you can - you can add them by hitting the "Attach Files" button, which should bring up a menu either from your phone or tablet etc.

Is the Blue Lagoon the one not far from Meldon station?

Tried the photos but file is this too large ??

The blue lagoon is the man made lake / bund with a number of chemicals in the water that cause it to look aqua blue, few hundred metres from meldon viaduct Stn towards okehampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.