• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think it will open a lot sooner than December and the hourly service will be from the December timetable otherwise it will not happen before May 2022.

I was pleased to see turbos mentioned, presumably 166s unless they use the training 165 on this service. Exeter should have it's full complement of turbos by then being maintained at Exeter and not shipped back to Bristol.

Paignton has to have 3 car turbos or 2X150s for the school run for which they recently ran two 2 car 165s coupled together.

Exeter or any other Depot will not maintain a small fleet (166s) the number of which you could count on one hand. It doesn't work that way. GWR Turbos will all be allocated to PM (or Reading) and there will be services enabling them to rotate between there and Exeter diagrammed to be worked by 166s Currently a 166 works 2306 Bristol TM to Exeter and after it's Devon work returns on 2111 Exeter to Bristol TM. As a comparison, TFW 150s and 153s cover many services in North Wales but they are all allocated to Cardiff Canton and diagrams provide for them to cycle round via Cardiff to receive Maintenance. GWR will enjoy the benefit of being able to do more Maintenance at Exeter which could include work on Turbos but they won't be allocated there.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PhilipW

Is the plan to re-instate Coleford Junction to Cowley Bridge as standard double track operation rather than two single lines operations as I understand it is at the moment ?

D6130

Established Member
Is the plan to re-instate Coleford Junction to Cowley Bridge as standard double track operation rather than two single lines operations as I understand it is at the moment ?
The two parallel single lines run from the site of Coleford Junction to Crediton and then it's one single line from there, through Newton St Cyres to Cowley Bridge Junction.

fgwrich

Established Member
The two parallel single lines run from the site of Coleford Junction to Crediton and then it's one single line from there, through Newton St Cyres to Cowley Bridge Junction.

I'd like to hope, but probably wont happen for a while yet, that Coleford Junction becomes a junction again allowing a longer double track loop from Crediton through to the junction / second platform at Yeoford.

RPI

Established Member
The Okehampton services will be booked a 2 car 150 but a turbo/158 could be used in the event of a failure etc or possibly weekends, but the main service is definitely planned for a 150

24Grange

Just watched it - good shots of the station, particularly liked the overhead "drone" shots. "relaying 11 miles"... so only about five miles were up to spec? Re the hourly - any idea how they are going to increase to every hour? A passing loop 1/2 way along? or make coleford Junction a proper junction again and have proper " double track" between there and Credition for passing?

The dartmoor pony (hauled by the 08) used to run usually between platform 2 ( the down) and meldon ( end of the line). When the GWR service ran, it was timed so that people could connect over the footbridge. Later on they inserted another section specifically between Okehampton and Meldon, so that the GWR service could run crediton/okehampton and the 08 could run okehampton/meldon.

The GWR service used to stop at Sampford and I think they did run very occasionally to the NR boundary, similar to like a beer train and back.

Not sure how DRSA will cope if the Quarry traffic starts again? I guess they don't have a loco now, as the 08 will be sold for creditors ( and any other stock ?? like the polar express coaches in platform 2 ?

davetheguard

Established Member
I could be wrong but I thought it was just a shuttle between Okehampton and Meldon Quarry and didn't venture beyond Okehampton in the Exeter Direction. But then I only visited on the days when the GWR service was running so perhaps they weren't allowed to operate in that direction at the same time as GWR were passing through?

The boundary between Network Rail and the heritage railway's operations was near the former Coleford Junction, i.e. the point where the Okehampton line and Barnstaple lines diverge. Here is a picture of the former boundary marker near the village (hamlet) of Penstone.

Attachments

• DSC08078.JPG
    DSC08078.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 62

21C101

Established Member
Just watched it - good shots of the station, particularly liked the overhead "drone" shots. "relaying 11 miles"... so only about five miles were up to spec? Re the hourly - any idea how they are going to increase to every hour? A passing loop 1/2 way along? or make coleford Junction a proper junction again and have proper " double track" between there and Credition for passing?

The dartmoor pony (hauled by the 08) used to run usually between platform 2 ( the down) and meldon ( end of the line). When the GWR service ran, it was timed so that people could connect over the footbridge. Later on they inserted another section specifically between Okehampton and Meldon, so that the GWR service could run crediton/okehampton and the 08 could run okehampton/meldon.

The GWR service used to stop at Sampford and I think they did run very occasionally to the NR boundary, similar to like a beer train and back.

Not sure how DRSA will cope if the Quarry traffic starts again? I guess they don't have a loco now, as the 08 will be sold for creditors ( and any other stock ?? like the polar express coaches in platform 2 ?
I gather there are issues with platform 2 being used for a heritage service with a full main line service now starting and the track through the down platform may go due to substandard 6'. The Bude bay is apparently to be reconnected to get round this.

I don't think that reinstatement of Coleford is planned, rather that linespeed increase will get the journey time far enough below 30 minutes frpm Crediton to Okehampton to allow an hourly service

davetheguard

Established Member
Anyone know what the ownership of the line to Okehampton now is/will be? Is it now part of Network Rail, or is NR currently just acting as a contractor to bring the still privately-owned railway up to scratch to enable National Rail services to operate over it on a daily basis?

REVUpminster

Modern Railways trackwatch 3 months ago reported Network Rail had taken over by the track from where the line departs from the Barnstaple line to Okehampton.

24Grange

The american company ( pacific something?) that owned the line ( and the quarry?) sold it to Network rail - they then did the renewal. I guess they sold it to help pay off the creditors?

Trainbuff

The american company ( pacific something?) that owned the line ( and the quarry?) sold it to Network rail - they then did the renewal. I guess they sold it to help pay off the creditors?
The line was owned by Aggregate Industries. Iowa Pacific Holdings under the brand Devon and Cornwall Railways merely leased the line

Established Member
Purely out of curiosity, do we know what work will be taking place at Newton St Cyres - eg, track lowering, platform heightening etc? It has to quite possibly be the lowest platform of any station in England at the moment (and that's with a Harrington Hump half way down the platform)

No platform works at Newton St Cyres. Just re sleepering.

Oh.. OK my Bad... so have Aggregate sold it to NR or have they leased it?
As of Feb 2021 it is still shown as non NR metals.

24Grange

"As of Feb 2021 it is still shown as non NR metals."

I did wonder that ages back on the ( or one of the other copious threads :) ) Why would Network Rail spend all the money relaying the track, if they didn't own ( or at least lease) it - it would be like Network Rail renewing all the track on the Severn Valley Railway. In its current form, it would be great for filming - if they could get the gig ( I think Doc Martin did it once?)

It would be a shame if they took out the track through platform 2, as one of the joys of the place is that it still looks like a double track "main line" station ( especially as when they extended the siding back for the storage of the polar express, so you can't see the end of it with a casual glance at the london end). If they took the siding up - that would destroy that illusion. But would "visually" separate the "new" mainline to Exeter into Platform 3 and the possible heritage into Platform 1 to Meldon.

21C101

Established Member
"As of Feb 2021 it is still shown as non NR metals."

I did wonder that ages back on the ( or one of the other copious threads :) ) Why would Network Rail spend all the money relaying the track, if they didn't own ( or at least lease) it - it would be like Network Rail renewing all the track on the Severn Valley Railway. In its current form, it would be great for filming - if they could get the gig ( I think Doc Martin did it once?)

It would be a shame if they took out the track through platform 2, as one of the joys of the place is that it still looks like a double track "main line" station ( especially as when they extended the siding back for the storage of the polar express, so you can't see the end of it with a casual glance at the london end). If they took the siding up - that would destroy that illusion. But would "visually" separate the "new" mainline to Exeter into Platform 3 and the possible heritage into Platform 1 to Meldon.
I agree it would be sad. They will have to reinstate it though when they reopen it to Tavistock :)

The ownership does seem to be mysterious. I assumed the delay in the "big announcement" after the funding was announced in the budget was for the contracts to be exchanged on the trackbed. I assume the station remains in Devon CC ownership though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

The journey time, as planned, would allow for an hourly service from December. However, that will only be delivered next year.

Devonman2014

An industry meeting informs me that ownership change took place effective from last Monday (15 March).

I was informed of that date by a NR contact a few weeks ago - 04:00 that morning to be exact .... why 04:00 I have no idea.

Hence why everything has been preliminary works so far.

In the next few weeks you will see a major step up of work on site.

21C101

Established Member
I was informed of that date by a NR contact a few weeks ago - 04:00 that morning to be exact .... why 04:00 I have no idea.

Hence why everything has been preliminary works so far.

In the next few weeks you will see a major step up of work on site.
Wonder if Aggregate Industries still own the quarry sidings.

There was a post a while back saying to watch out for an announcement on the 16th. That transfer is obviously why.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I was pleased to see turbos mentioned, presumably 166s unless they use the training 165 on this service. Exeter should have it's full complement of turbos by then being maintained at Exeter and not shipped back to Bristol.

Turbos will not be maintained at Exeter, they will remain allocated to St Philips Marsh for all heavy work. Light servicing will be done at Exeter.

As mentioned elsewhere there are trains diagrammed for turbos between Bristol and Exeter to cycle the units.

150 and 158 fleets will he

Devonman2014

Wonder if Aggregate Industries still own the quarry sidings.

There was a post a while back saying to watch out for an announcement on the 16th. That transfer is obviously why.

The quarry is not in NR ownership beyond MP 198.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think it will open a lot sooner than December and the hourly service will be from the December timetable otherwise it will not happen before May 2022.

Paignton has to have 3 car turbos or 2X150s for the school run for which they recently ran two 2 car 165s coupled together.

Any unit, 165 or otherwise, cannot be booked to work a train and for training at the same time

REVUpminster

^They sent a 165 down from Bristol instead of a failed 166 and it was coupled to the 165 already at Exeter used for training to make up a passenger service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
^They sent a 165 down from Bristol instead of a failed 166 and it was coupled to the 165 already at Exeter used for training to make up a passenger service.

What you can diagram and what you can do on the day can be two different things in practice.

I gather there are issues with platform 2 being used for a heritage service with a full main line service now starting and the track through the down platform may go due to substandard 6'. The Bude bay is apparently to be reconnected to get round this.
Surely there are loads of stations on NR where the platforms are in their original positions with two running lines comfortably between them?

fgwrich

Established Member
Surely there are loads of stations on NR where the platforms are in their original positions with two running lines comfortably between them?
Eridge on the Spa Valley being one of them, where there is not just the two operators sharing the station but the short stretch up to the former junction.

No platform works at Newton St Cyres. Just re sleepering.

As of Feb 2021 it is still shown as non NR metals.
Fair enough, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that Newton St Cyres is still useable with a platform that low but who knows. Maybe one day it'll either be replaced (perhaps with a IOW Style set up) or be replaced altogether.

RPI

Established Member
Only for the one trip to Paignton and back though, it then went back onto training diagrams

Eridge on the Spa Valley being one of them, where there is not just the two operators sharing the station but the short stretch up to the former junction.

Fair enough, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that Newton St Cyres is still useable with a platform that low but who knows. Maybe one day it'll either be replaced (perhaps with a IOW Style set up) or be replaced altogether.
Newton St Cyres has a "Harrington hump" and trains only open local door at this station which is stopped adjacent to the hump.

Veteran Member
They have "grandfather rights" which may not apply when NR reopen a station (even though it was had National Rail trains under the previous owner).

Status
Not open for further replies.