• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

REVUpminster

I was pleased to see the recognition given to the volunteers who have kept that station in better condition than many Network rail stations.

I wonder if platform 3 will be weed free in 5 years.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Unless they just brought a 'proper' one along for the photos!
The old one I made was the size of an Annets key and was only meant to be temporary (see upthread for photo). For a proper service under NR ownership it's only right to use a correct type staff.

Irascible

Established Member
I was pleased to see the recognition given to the volunteers who have kept that station in better condition than many Network rail stations.

I wonder if platform 3 will be weed free in 5 years.

I hope they'll let the volunteers continue to keep it looking neat, at least. Is there any regulatory facility for that?

zwk500

Veteran Member
I hope they'll let the volunteers continue to keep it looking neat, at least. Is there any regulatory facility for that?
There's many, many 'friends of x station' and 'Community Railways' up and down the country. Both frameworks are regularly used by both GWR and other TOCs. I can see no reason either framework could not be adapted to help the volunteers keep doing the excellent job they've done for so long.

DDB

I think Duffield station has been officially adopted under the station adoption scheme by the heritage railway that shares it (Ecclesbourne Valley Railway). I assume a similar arrangement could be put into place for Okehampton.

geoffk

Established Member
Just called in at Okehampton station today to see what was going on. Access to platform 3 is barriered off so I drove under the bridge and parked by the YHA. There were contractors working on the track serving platform 3 but no rolling stock at all could be seen apart from the road/rail vehicle in use.

The Dartmoor Railway Association website has a photograph showing the station open to the public on 29th May, with an open-air cafe on platform 2. I suppose the whole station is now a worksite and will remain so until train services begin.

REVUpminster

Just called in at Okehampton station today to see what was going on. Access to platform 3 is barriered off so I drove under the bridge and parked by the YHA. There were contractors working on the track serving platform 3 but no rolling stock at all could be seen apart from the road/rail vehicle in use.

The Dartmoor Railway Association website has a photograph showing the station open to the public on 29th May, with an open-air cafe on platform 2. I suppose the whole station is now a worksite and will remain so until train services begin.
Okehampton scrap train.JPG
I presume all the scrap has gone from the tracks and car park. Picture is from 23 June 2021. When I went (post 498) the Dartmoor Railway Association did not open platform 2 until 11am and you could go on the footbridge but not down to platform 3. One of the volunteers (with HiVi) went over to the signal box where it looks like they keep some stock.

geoffk

Established Member
Still some old concrete sleepers onsite. I was there at 13.00 - perhaps the DRA people had already been and gone or maybe not open on a Monday.

davetheguard

Established Member
I had a walk between Yeoford and Copplestone stations two days' ago. This is the view looking towards Okehampton from Penstone Crossing just beyond the Coleford divergence (where the Barnstaple & Okehampton lines part company). I should point out I was on a public footpath here, and the safe side of the boundary fence when I took the photo.

Note the new 30 over 75 line speed.

Attachments

• Looking towards Okehampton at Penstone Crossing 02 Sept 2021.JPG
    Looking towards Okehampton at Penstone Crossing 02 Sept 2021.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 261

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had a walk between Yeoford and Copplestone stations two days' ago. This is the view looking towards Okehampton from Penstone Crossing just beyond the Coleford divergence (where the Barnstaple & Okehampton lines part company). I should point out I was on a public footpath here, and the safe side of the boundary fence when I took the photo.

Note the new 30 over 75 line speed.

That’s good to see isn’t it? :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Clotted cream.
The best clotted cream I've ever tasted came from a small dairy shop in the centre of Okehampton, which survived the opening of the by-pass but, I suspect, is long gone. Beats the inferior Rodda's any day.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What do 30/75 and 60/75 mean?
Differential speeds, so freight is limited to 30mph with passenger permitted up to 75mph on the first one, and freight up to 60mph with passenger up to 75mph on the 2nd. These differential speeds exists because of the different weight profiles, and therefore wear and braking rates, between heavily loaded loco hauled freight and multiple unit passenger trains.

On this line, the only freight traffic to use it will be the stone trains from the quarry, which won't be up to any speed because of their weight and engineers trains/tampers/etc. So raising the freight speed would be of very limited benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.