• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Someonen reported further back that Warships did it non stop in 35 mins Oke to St Davids before the line shut south of Meldon in 1968 (probably the Plymouth to Brighton.

The line speed was then 85 and it was a fast straight stretch.
If the line speed has been 85 mph in the past, why can't it be that in the future?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
If the line speed has been 85 mph in the past, why can't it be that in the future?
Depends how much money you want to spend on relaying the track.
85 simply meant there were no specific restrictions imposed, I wonder how often it was reached?

21C101

Established Member
One advantage of the alleged return of stone trains is true is that the track, underbridges etc. has to be to a higher standard for such heavy traffic than for a lightweight DMU, which in turn makes said DMU going faster more feasible.

But there are a lot of other things, particularly user worked farm crossings that need an upgrade to have telephones etc if line speed is increased. However there is no need for such installations to have landlines these days, eliminating the need for a continuous trackside cable, the biggest cost headache.

bishdunster

One advantage of the alleged return of stone trains is true is that the track, underbridges etc. has to be to a higher standard for such heavy traffic than for a lightweight DMU, which in turn makes said DMU going faster more feasible.

But there are a lot of other things, particularly user worked farm crossings that need an upgrade to have telephones etc if line speed is increased. However there is no need for such installations to have landlines these days, eliminating the need for a continuous trackside cable, the biggest cost headache.
You are obviously fortunate and take for granted that where you live mobile networks are reliable. Rural Devon has very poor coverage, in places no signal is available from ANY network operator !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

For track that would seem logical, but actually isn’t the case.

The specification for a low speed freight railway is good enough for a low speed passenger railway, but not a medium or high speed passenger railway.

Geometry tolerances reduce as speed increases. Maintenance intervals and componentry increase as speed and tonnage increase. Even then you would need more than 2-3 stone trains a day to get out of the ‘bottom tier’ of that for a (say) 30mph route.

MarkyT

Established Member
For track that would seem logical, but actually isn’t the case.

The specification for a low speed freight railway is good enough for a low speed passenger railway, but not a medium or high speed passenger railway.

Geometry tolerances reduce as speed increases. Maintenance intervals and componentry increase as speed and tonnage increase. Even then you would need more than 2-3 stone trains a day to get out of the ‘bottom tier’ of that for a (say) 30mph route.
Also, stone doesn't really care if 20 miles of a 100+ mile journey are accomplished at an average or even a maximum of 20mph, while that speed for a local passenger journey would probably be highly uncompetitive.

83A

Also, stone doesn't really care if 20 miles of a 100+ mile journey are accomplished at an average or even a maximum of 20mph, while that speed for a local passenger journey would probably be highly uncompetitive.
Stone might not care but I bet “quicksand” would :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is for updates regarding what is actually happening with regard to the works on the Okehampton Line.

If anyone wishes to post ideas, suggestions etc, please use the Speculative Ideas forum section.

We absolutely do welcome any suggestions and speculative posts but we just ask that these are posted exclusively in the appropriate forum section please.

Many thanks :)

Edit: I have moved some posts here:

Edit: other relevant threads include:

Once anyone has any updates relating to the actual works, please report this post (and let us know what it is you'd like to post), thanks :)

Last edited:

Clayton

On Moderation
I’m surprised people aren’t more excited about this! A real branch line into the wilds reopening! It will open up Dartmoor and beyond to rail if they manage to build the parkway.

Amlag

I’m surprised people aren’t more excited about this! A real branch line into the wilds reopening! It will open up Dartmoor and beyond to rail if they manage to build the parkway.

I can assure you as a resident of the area, that there has been a big welcome of this great reopening news ( about the only good news around ) in Okehampton and throughout the large 'rail desert' of West Devon and North Cornwall, with much positive reporting in local and regional newspapers from Exeter westwards.
'The Moorlander' local Okehampton published paper, even produced last week an excellent eight page Okehampton Rail Special souvenir supplement and for only 30 pence.

Tim_UK

You are obviously fortunate and take for granted that where you live mobile networks are reliable. Rural Devon has very poor coverage, in places no signal is available from ANY network operator !

Can trackside phones use GSM-R ? They still need power to work anyway. Sometimes easier to run phone cable than it is to run power cables.

21C101

Established Member
Can trackside phones use GSM-R ? They still need power to work anyway. Sometimes easier to run phone cable than it is to run power cables.
Yes and no they don't need mains power as they can be powered by solar charged batteries.

See example linked to.

They obviously do need GSM-R coverage extended to Meldon from whicever point west of Coleford Junction the coverage from Barnstaple line masts ends.

I can assure you as a resident of the area, that there has been a big welcome of this great reopening news ( about the only good news around ) in Okehampton and throughout the large 'rail desert' of West Devon and North Cornwall, with much positive reporting in local and regional newspapers from Exeter westwards.
'The Moorlander' local Okehampton published paper, even produced last week an excellent eight page Okehampton Rail Special souvenir supplement and for only 30 pence.
I wish they did an online issue for those of us not living locally . Probably not ecomonic to though.

Amlag

Yes and no they don't need mains power as they can be powered by solar charged batteries.

See example linked to.

They obviously do need GSM-R coverage extended to Meldon from whicever point west of Coleford Junction the coverage from Barnstaple line masts ends.

I wish they did an online issue for those of us not living locally . Probably not ecomonic to though.

I suggest anyone wanting a proper (hard) copy of this special souvenir supplement ( they are also available at WHS at Exeter St D ) gives the Moorlander office in Okehampton a call on 01837 357007 and you might be able to buy one over the phone and have one posted to you.

MELVYN

The Network Rail test train made 2 return trips to Okehampton from Exeter Riverside N,Y, during the night of 13th Jan, arrived Okehampton 0318 and departed 0335, arrived again at 0602 and departed at 0618 back to Derby.Top and tailed by 37099 and 37254.

davetheguard

Established Member
The Network Rail test train made 2 return trips to Okehampton from Exeter Riverside N,Y, during the night of 13th Jan, arrived Okehampton 0318 and departed 0335, arrived again at 0602 and departed at 0618 back to Derby.Top and tailed by 37099 and 37254.

Interesting news, thanks for posting. Must have been a bit of a surprise for anyone living near Okehampton station -and awake- to hear a train at that time of day.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Interesting news, thanks for posting. Must have been a bit of a surprise for anyone living near Okehampton station -and awake- to hear a train at that time of day.

Just what I was thinking too; in fact anyone residing along the corridor of the whole route must have found it rather startling to hear the roar of a class 37 in the dead of night shattering the normally peaceful slumber of mid Devon?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just what I was thinking too; in fact anyone residing along the corridor of the whole route must have found it rather startling to hear the roar of a class 37 in the dead of night shattering the normally peaceful slumber of mid Devon?
I was hoping to hear it go past in the night but no joy unfortunately.
I have been woken up them before though which is always nice and if the wind is in the right direction you can hear them right up past Newton st Cyres!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I was hoping to hear it go past in the night but no joy unfortunately.
I have been woken up them before though which is always nice and if the wind is in the right direction you can hear them right up past Newton st Cyres!

Now that is a fair distance, at least a couple of miles perhaps?

Brush 4

The train of concrete sleepers delivered by 70 809 and another at the other end on Jan 14 must have been quite a load on the 1in77 as well.

fgwrich

Established Member
The train of concrete sleepers delivered by 70 809 and another at the other end on Jan 14 must have been quite a load on the 1in77 as well.

That must have made some noise! I'm a good 4 miles from my nearest station and on a still night you can hear them approaching, powering down, then powering up again the other side of the junction!

Great to hear progress is being made. Do we know if the relaying is including speed enhancements and what they'll be?

That must have made some noise! I'm a good 4 miles from my nearest station and on a still night you can hear them approaching, powering down, then powering up again the other side of the junction!

Great to hear progress is being made. Do we know if the relaying is including speed enhancements and what they'll be?

You can hear them whilst stood in Eskdale thrashing away in Ravenglass.

Townsend Hook

Network Rail’s PLPR1 test train was used, I was one of the test crew on board. We had the overhead test vehicle ‘MENTOR’ in the formation, I would guess that that’s the first pantograph-fitted vehicle to ever make it to Okehampton unless anyone else knows different.

Attachments

• D747C9EE-DBBD-4BBA-806D-E9E587EEA447.jpeg
    D747C9EE-DBBD-4BBA-806D-E9E587EEA447.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 202
  • 64DDB611-A36E-4D9A-BB80-684EE9DB8A2F.jpeg
    64DDB611-A36E-4D9A-BB80-684EE9DB8A2F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 196
  • C29FCD76-2EBB-4A1A-8FCC-3D9EC5C6DD1C.jpeg
    C29FCD76-2EBB-4A1A-8FCC-3D9EC5C6DD1C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 197

MarkyT

Established Member
Network Rail’s PLPR1 test train was used, I was one of the test crew on board. We had the overhead test vehicle ‘MENTOR’ in the formation, I would guess that that’s the first pantograph-fitted vehicle to ever make it to Okehampton unless anyone else knows different.
Presumably, that particular car is equipped with a plethora of cameras and other sensors and instrumentation pointing skyward, which could be handy for inspecting and measuring overhead structures of many kinds, regardless of any near-term likelyhood of electrification! Once the line is opened to traffic again, it's quite likely a pantograph fitted 80x might make it up there on an excursion I'd have thought, assuming it will fit in other respects.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Many thanks for posting the shots @Townsend Hook, the train looks quite surreal in those surroundings during the dead of night. Regarding Mentor, I do wonder if there is a slight possibility that it passed through Okehampton at some point in its past life as BSK W34615 on perhaps a diverted WR service as happened on occasion back in the day, that otherwise would normally have operated via Newton Abbot?

Last edited:

Townsend Hook

Presumably, that particular car is equipped with a plethora of cameras and other sensors and instrumentation pointing skyward, which could be handy for inspecting and measuring overhead structures of many kinds, regardless of any near-term likelyhood of electrification! Once the line is opened to traffic again, it's quite likely a pantograph fitted 80x might make it up there on an excursion I'd have thought, assuming it will fit in other respects.

All it’s set up for is measuring overhead line, we just happened to be using the formation it runs in. The only reason that it was powered up was for detection of any vegetation getting tangled up in the pantograph.

MarkyT

Established Member
All it’s set up for is measuring overhead line, we just happened to be using the formation it runs in. The only reason that it was powered up was for detection of any vegetation getting tangled up in the pantograph.
Thanks. A veg detector van!

northernbelle

Another delivery of materials for the forthcoming upgrade last night - 66748 and 66723 worked a Westbury-Okehampton concrete sleeper train.

Do we think that this work is for the potential up and coming Exeter to Okehampton service, or do we think that it’s for when Meldon Quarry re-opens and there are stone trains on it everyday? You can’t run heavy freight on old track.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Do we think that this work is for the potential up and coming Exeter to Okehampton service, or do we think that it’s for when Meldon Quarry re-opens and there are stone trains on it everyday? You can’t run heavy freight on old track.

this is for the Exeter to Okehampton passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.