• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
Generally, bare earth without vegetation is more prone to slipping - not only because the root system can hold things together, but also because the tree cover disperses rain more evenly and makes it less likely that channels will be gouged in the bank.

Personally I think the side with the trees is massively more attractive; the other looks awful. And as for opening up view for passengers ... not from down in a cutting like that! As a passenger, I like the attractiveness of tree cover in that sort of situation, as well as having longer distance views in places too.
The running of a railway requires banks clear of trees. Until the end of steam these banks were grass with no trees due to fires. With the cuts after Beeching trees were forgotten and we learnt about leaves on the line.

It is a sad state of affairs if trees along railway line are the only trees we have left.

Trees on banks are a double edged sword. Their roots both hold the bank together and block land drainage that causes the slips, the vegetation both absorbs the rain but softens the soil causing slips and of course leaves on the line.

In the end, it is about running a railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
It’s a common misconception that tree root systems hold embankments / cuttings together.

Grass helps.
Yep, where's the like button.

So many people keep parroting the GCSE/O-Level geography "tree roots stop soil erosion in natural environments" line when it doesn't apply to man-made structures like cutting and embankments. Root systems tend to create nice fault planes.

reddragon

Established Member
Yep, where's the like button.

So many people keep parroting the GCSE/O-Level geography "tree roots stop soil erosion in natural environments" line when it doesn't apply to man-made structures like cutting and embankments. Root systems tend to create nice fault planes.
A lot of this is down to root types. Many trees have shallow root structures that cause slips as you say but some do help.

When trees are cleared the soft soil on top will slip and as natural drainage paths & original drainage channels are blocked by roots / debris they slip.

Ideally when banks are cleared, the filter drains need renewing.

Generally, bare earth without vegetation is more prone to slipping - not only because the root system can hold things together, but also because the tree cover disperses rain more evenly and makes it less likely that channels will be gouged in the bank.

Personally I think the side with the trees is massively more attractive; the other looks awful. And as for opening up view for passengers ... not from down in a cutting like that! As a passenger, I like the attractiveness of tree cover in that sort of situation, as well as having longer distance views in places too.
It's likely to be broadleaved trees that are self seeded that have established on the cutting/embankment . (Sycamore etc. )

However looking at the photo there is agricultural land and there will be stretches along the lineside where shelter belts of conifer trees will possibly have been planted by adjoining land owners using grant schemes.

In my experience, broadleaf trees need more regular maintenance due to their irregular growth form and being more prone to failure in severe weather events. They are also the ones that cause most of the issues for the railhead adhesion.

It's all about striking a balance between taking everything out or leaving it all alone till it causes a problem. Both end up costing money due to either low adhesion on the track & delays or closing the line and getting in a tree gang to clear fell long stretches of lineside and stump treating with herbicides.

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm very glad to see Brush 4's photo of vegetation clearance; I'm all for trees -and more of them- but in the right place, and not on a railway line causing all sorts of problems.

When I last went on the special Summer Sunday service up to Okehampton, the side of the train was constantly being rubbed against by vegetation, and by the time we arrived at Okehampton, the floor of the DMU was littered with leaf debris that had come in through the open hopper windows.

InOban

Established Member
I suspect that they will attach steel mesh with soil nails to that embankment. Of course all the cut stumps will regrow!

WesternBiker

A lot of this is down to root types. Many trees have shallow root structures that cause slips as you say but some do help.

When trees are cleared the soft soil on top will slip and as natural drainage paths & original drainage channels are blocked by roots / debris they slip.

Ideally when banks are cleared, the filter drains need renewing.
It also depends on the underlying geology/soil type and the drainage at the top of the slope.

I have read studies that suggest trees help to stabilise shallower slopes, but for steep slopes – which railway cuttings typically are - grass and/or shrubs are better. Newly deforested slopes can be vulnerable to erosion until some vegetation grows back, or artificial stabilisation is used.

As ever, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye…

That will depend on if they have been Ecoplugged or not.
You would think that they are being treated. Unless someone is trying to save money in the short term. Or if there is some ecological constraints to using them that have been highlighted by the NR Ecologist.

As an aside inoted that Network Rail were busy recruiting more Ecologists for the NW region just before Covid. I assume in part to be more 'hands on' with lineside activities, so I guess there are more in the SW too!

Parham Wood

I would imagine that the bank is mainly rock based as I don't think earth banks can be that steep, also it is in the Dartmoor area.

Tavistock Times

THE Dartmoor Line between Okehampton and Exeter will officially reopen for year-round services on Saturday, November 20, ahead of schedule, Network Rail has revealed.

For the first time in nearly 50 years, regular passenger services will run on the Dartmoor Line, connecting Okehampton to Exeter. Services will launch on Saturday, November 20, marking the first reopening under the Government’s Restoring Your Railway programme which is exploring ways to return old lines and stations to service across the country.

Tickets will go on sale on October 12 for trains running every two hours, increasing to hourly from May 2022. The journey time between Exeter and Okehampton will be approximately 40 minutes. Passengers travelling between Crediton and Exeter will also benefit from an increase in service frequency

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Mikey C

Established Member
A very impressive project, a pleasant change for something to go so smoothly that it can open early

Brush 4

Really good news and so speedily yet thoroughly done. A result of Project Speed perhaps, although that name hasn't been heard much recently. Only 1 year after physical activity commenced and 8 months after the funding announcement, although I'm sure it was in place much earlier than actually announced.
The Dartmoor Line - Opens 20 November

The above shows that the station will not have all of its facilities open until 2022. No matter, getting the line open is the priority and they have. When Parkway is built, it will be an extra incentive for those in places like Launceston. A fast dual carriageway direct to within less than a mile from Parkway. Accessing the current station is a bit slow via traffic lights in the town centre, which Parkway avoids.

The first reopening under the Restoring Your Railway scheme, looking forward to the others.

Iskra

Established Member
It’s excellent to see a railway re-opening come to fruition. A very pleasant line too. Congratulations to all involved.

Hopefully it’s a roaring success and we can see a few more lines re-open to passengers too.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Dept of Transport press release

government-restores-the-dartmoor-line-as-services-resume-for-first-time-in-half-a-century-from-20-november-2021

For the first time in nearly 50 years, regular passenger services will run on the Dartmoor Line, connecting Okehampton to Exeter. Services will launch on 20 November, marking the first reopening under the government’s Restoring Your Railway programme which is exploring ways to return old lines and stations to service across the country.

The route will connect Exeter St Davids, Crediton and Okehampton providing a launchpad for visitors to explore Dartmoor and regional links for local commuters. Around half of services, including at peak times, will also carry on to Exeter Central. The reopening of the route is expected to boost local businesses and the tourism sector while providing greater access to education and work for thousands of people who live locally.

The Department for Transport (DfT) and its partners have accelerated the reopening of the railway, delivering passenger services in only 9 months from the original funding being approved to entry into service and saving money at the same time. As the government continues its overhaul of the railways following the Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail, more lines and stations will be reopened.

anthony263

Established Member
If Boris on holiday how much do.you want yo to bet he'd be down.there the first day trains start running for the publicity

davetheguard

Established Member
Contractors were hard at work at Okehampton station yesterday resurfacing the platform & painting the canopy.

DSCN4372.JPG

83G/84D

Established Member
150233 has received special Dartmoor branding and a clean up and will be used on the special services to Okehampton today.

RPI

Established Member
Tim Dunn amongst others are there today for a special event, I believe Bojo is going too

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Tim Dunn amongst others are there today for a special event, I believe Bojo is going too
The cynic in me has no doubt Boris Johnson will use the reopening to trot out the current line on the 'Levelling-up' agenda,

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The cynic in me has no doubt Boris Johnson will use the reopening to trot out the current line on the 'Levelling-up' agenda,
The cynic in me says Labour would do exactly the same, but unfortunately we have very little evidence because they never reopened anything for years…

Starmill

Veteran Member
The cynic in me says Labour would do exactly the same, but unfortunately we have very little evidence because they never reopened anything for years…
Technically Labour governments presided in England over new openings at Corby, and Ebbsfleet International and Stratford International on HS1, in Scotland over the Airdrie - Bathgate line in 2010, and before that Larkhall line in 2005, and in Wales the Ebbw Valley line in 2008.

Mikey C

Established Member
It's perfectly normal for a politician to take credit for such an opening/reopening

In this case the credit is reasonably deserved, as the project wasn't one started under a previous government. Or the one before that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.