• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to Grimsargh line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I passed, while going from Bolton to Lancaster, what I presume was the junction for this line, just north of Preston station on the right hand side, with the track passing through new-ish buildings that I suppose are part of UCLAN.

What is the current situation regarding this line? Is it the one that used to serve a Mental Hospital...or was that another line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Yes, it passes through the UCLan buildings which now occupy what was Maudland Bridge station and then up through Deepdale and Ribbleton, the stations at both places still extant but now derelict and privately owned respectively.

The trackbed is built on past Ribbleton but it would have continued north to Grimsargh where the line to Whittingham mental asylum branched off and Longridge.

I think the idea is to use the Ribbleton - Preston stretch for trams as this stretch was still being used for freight until the mid 1990s.

EDIT: More info here: http://www.prestonstation.org.uk/longridge.html

Lampshade

Established Member
Is this line formation still in the plans for the tram system for Preston?

Not quite, the tram line would run on street level from the railway station down Fishergate (the high street) and Church Street, then up Deepdale Road, meeting the existing line just after Miley Tunnel, so trams won't be going through there. The trams would then call at presumably rebuilt stations at Deepdale Street and Gamull Lane as well as other intermediate stops in Ribbleton before heading out towards the industrial estates at Red Scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.