• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, aged 99, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT

Established Member
How do they count viewer numbers? With many houses having multiple occupants, there will be many cases of multiple people watching one television, so does 14 million mean 14 million people, or 14 million households? If the latter, the true number of individual people watching it will easily be well above 14 million. The UK population covers babies/young children/those without access to a TV, so really you want to compare number of people watching to number of people who have the ability to voluntarily watch it.

I was under the impression that viewer numbers were mostly calculated by using a representative panel and then scaling that up. The panel report how many people are watching each device in each household, which can then be used with the statistics they get from the streaming platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
How do they count viewer numbers? With many houses having multiple occupants, there will be many cases of multiple people watching one television, so does 14 million mean 14 million people, or 14 million households? If the latter, the true number of individual people watching it will easily be well above 14 million. The UK population covers babies/young children/those without access to a TV, so really you want to compare number of people watching to number of people who have the ability to voluntarily watch it.
I did it years ago.
You have a box that plugs into the mains and phone line.
Each member of the household carries around something that looks like a pager, this susses out what TV channel or radio station you are watching/listening too (don't ask me how! something to do with digital watermarks I think). It would also clock what device you were watching/listening on (I guess by the broadcast digital watermark).
So it didn't matter if you were in the car listening to the radio or in the pub watching the match it would still pick it up.
When you went to bed you plugged these devices into the box and it uploads overnight, if you forgot they are on the phone first thing!
It was also a secret thing, you weren't supposed to tell anybody or they would kick you off the panel.
You got paid in vouchers.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Diana’s funeral was tasteless, ghastly and very harmful to William and Harry.

Philip’s was the best funeral I have ever seen. Done and dusted in 75 minutes with exquisite taste.
Absolutely, and probably what the man would have wanted and probably never dreamed he could have. The first absolute Covid plus I've come across. I've always enjoyed a good funeral since my church choirboy days, except ones which in which I was personally emotionally involved.

birchesgreen

Established Member
The piper at the end, something so mystical and timeless about it.

Gave me a few ideas for my own funeral, probably have to make do with an MP3 in my case through.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The piper at the end, something so mystical and timeless about it.

Gave me a few ideas for my own funeral, probably have to make do with an MP3 in my case through.

I’ll probably have to make do with someone playing the recorder...

Status
Not open for further replies.