• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PRIV tickets available on-line from 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

According to the Rail Delivery Group, you will be able to buy Priv tickets online from next year

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member

According to the Rail Delivery Group, you will be able to buy Priv tickets online from next year
Picked that up from the newsletter for retired staff.

Will be interesting to see the details.

(Since we often choose our destination only when we get to the station can't see us using it much.)

Alex365Dash

Looks like it’ll also do sleeper bookings. At least Caledonian Sleeper won’t have to worry about trying to add a PRIV discount to berths through their own site again! :lol:

trek

Good that it does sleepers, but according to the FAQ it won't be accepting American Express cards which makes it pretty useless for me...

RJ

Established Member
Good that it does sleepers, but according to the FAQ it won't be accepting American Express cards which makes it pretty useless for me...

These days you can get cashback cards paying up to 16% on general spend - makes Amex a bit less exciting!

c1995

This will be very handy. Will tickets require collection / printing at machines or can they be displayed on a smartphone?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This will be very handy. Will tickets require collection / printing at machines or can they be displayed on a smartphone?
From the FAQs it looks like they will initially be ToD (i.e. collection) only, and that eTickets will come later.

I suppose they wouldn't be able to roll it out nationwide otherwise, as there are still several TOCs (Greater Anglia, TfW etc.) that don't allow flows involving 'their patch' to be retailed as eTickets.

That said, Merseyrail doesn't allow ToD bookings to be collected at most of their TVMs either, plus ToD has much higher retailing fees and makes ticket reuse/fraud etc. harder to detect.

I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am reliably informed that the site will launch on Monday 4 April.

Edit: the RSTL FAQs were also updated a few days ago to include more information on the capabilities of the online site. eTickets will be offered (where possible) from the launch date.

The ability to order season tickets and Flexi Seasons, as well as to make reservations without buying a ticket (e.g. for holders of "boxes" and Status Passes), will be added at a later date.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From the FAQs it looks like they will initially be ToD (i.e. collection) only, and that eTickets will come later.

I suppose they wouldn't be able to roll it out nationwide otherwise, as there are still several TOCs (Greater Anglia, TfW etc.) that don't allow flows involving 'their patch' to be retailed as eTickets.

That said, Merseyrail doesn't allow ToD bookings to be collected at most of their TVMs either, plus ToD has much higher retailing fees and makes ticket reuse/fraud etc. harder to detect.

I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Merseyrail now offers ToD at the booking office, though it took them long enough.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Merseyrail now offers ToD at the booking office, though it took them long enough.
Ah ok. That will leave just a handful of journeys with no fulfilment option (e.g. Scotrail and TfW flows from stations with no ticket machine).

Status
Not open for further replies.