• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems caused by pigeons roosting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What can be done (legally) to alleviate the problem of pigeons roosting and cr*pping everywhere, in and around a non-domestic building, such as at a railway station?

(Installation of anti-roost spikes must be a possible solution, but presumably this isn't permitted whilst the little blighters are still nesting).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I remember years ago, there were a load of pigeons roosting right over a cafe/buffet at Paddington Railway Station, the stench was awful, that combined with the diesel fumes from the trains, no electric then, apart from the Met Line as it was at the time, must have made the place a very unhealthy place to work in.

Typhoon

Established Member
What can be done (legally) to alleviate the problem of pigeons roosting and cr*pping everywhere, in and around a non-domestic building, such as at a railway station?

(Installation of anti-roost spikes must be a possible solution, but presumably this isn't permitted whilst the little blighters are still nesting).
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - you cannot disturb a nest either being built or in use. We have collared doves (welcome anytime), and this year, a pair of crows in a tree. I cannot move the latter on. Mind you, a near neighbour has herring gulls nesting on the roof. Now they ARE a problem!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - you cannot disturb a nest either being built or in use.
Aren't feral pigeons deemed to be a pest species, and so a licence can be obtained to get rid / move them on?

DelW

Established Member
At a domestic level, when I'm in the conservatory and see pigeons around my bird feeders, I take pot shots at them with a children's Nerf gun firing foam plastic missiles (other brands are available). It deters them in the short term, though possibly not for long - I don't think pigeons have long memories. It's quite fun though, and I don't think it would hurt a pigeon even if I were to hit one, which is unlikely.

Ostrich

On the other hand - and it really is horses for courses - we have feral pigeons (rock doves) and wood pigeons in the garden. The jackdaws and sparrows on our bird feeders are messy eaters, and there's loads of uneaten seed on the ground. The pigeons happily hoover it up, and they're very welcome because if they don't - we get rats. We have a breeding colony nearby.

DelW

Established Member
On the other hand - and it really is horses for courses - we have feral pigeons (rock doves) and wood pigeons in the garden. The jackdaws and sparrows on our bird feeders are messy eaters, and there's loads of uneaten seed on the ground. The pigeons happily hoover it up, and they're very welcome because if they don't - we get rats. We have a breeding colony nearby.
That's a valid point. I try to deal with the spillage problem by leaving the feeders empty for half a day every couple of days, at which point the sparrows get down on the ground and do some cleaning up themselves. But the pigeons do indeed contribute to their efforts.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting stuff, but we seem to be drifting off topic by talking about bird feeders in someone's back garden.

Was hoping to ascertain more about how to (legally) sort out the problem(s) caused by feral pigeons at non-domestic premises, such as at railway stations.

Typhoon

Established Member
Aren't feral pigeons deemed to be a pest species, and so a licence can be obtained to get rid / move them on?
RSPB reckon that they are protected under the Act https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/woodpigeon/ BUT as you suggest there is provision for dealing with 'pest' species -
An authorised person (eg a landowner or occupier) may kill or take, in certain situations and by certain methods, so called 'pest species' and destroy or take the nest or eggs of such a bird. This is permissible under the terms of General Licences issues by government departments (see Licences).
Emphasis is mine. This almost certainly means putting your hand in your pocket to engage someone who knows what the situations and methods are. Would the Local Authority Pest control officer be able to help?

EDIT: I've looked up my area using https://www.gov.uk/pest-control, the answer is 'no'. Hopefully, you will have better luck!

You are right. As I posted previously, we have collared doves (same family), rather precarious but tidy nest (not like the crows who chuck stuff they don't want out) and I like their call. rather soothing, not like crows or gulls. If I am half awake, I can hear them - time to get up. They also help themselves to fruit which is rotting on the tree and the flowers that self seed under the tree seem to benefit from their droppings. There aren't that many, the local cat and fox population sees to that.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
RSPB reckon that they are protected under the Act https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/woodpigeon/ BUT as you suggest there is provision for dealing with 'pest' species -

Whilst I'm no ornitholigist, the problem pigeons are certainly not woodpigeons. The ones I'm thinking about are often otherwise referred to as 'city doves', 'city pigeons' or 'street pigeons'. Scientific name is 'Columba livia domestica'.

(These are the ones that you might imagine congregating in somewhere like Trafalgar Square).

Would the Local Authority Pest control officer be able to help?

Good shout! :)

Domh245

Established Member
Whilst I'm no ornitholigist, the problem pigeons are certainly not woodpigeons. The ones I'm thinking about are often otherwise referred to as 'city doves', 'city pigeons' or 'street pigeons'. Scientific name is 'Columba livia domestica'.

(These are the ones that you might imagine congregating in somewhere like Trafalgar Square).

Indeed - feral pigeons are also known as rock doves(/are a descendant of), which are also protected

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Plastic Hawks are I believe available. You have to move them around now and again otherwise you'll find pigeons will get used to it and even sit on it. I think the one at Penzance station was an Owl that never moved,it was plastered in droppings.

DelW

Established Member
Interesting stuff, but we seem to be drifting off topic by talking about bird feeders in someone's back garden.

Was hoping to ascertain more about how to (legally) sort out the problem(s) caused by feral pigeons at non-domestic premises, such as at railway stations.
Oops, guilty as charged, sorry! But the spillage angle might not be entirely off-topic, as I suspect one of the things that encourages pigeons into stations is spilt or discarded fast food. I wonder if the closure of so many on-station food outlets, and hopefully better cleaning of stations, has actually reduced pigeon numbers by making them less attractive places?

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member

Sorry, missed the word 'wild' in the RSPBs description of rock doves.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Plastic Hawks are I believe available. You have to move them around now and again otherwise you'll find pigeons will get used to it and even sit on it. I think the one at Penzance station was an Owl that never moved,it was plastered in droppings.
There's one atop the Wharfside Shopping Centre (a finer collection of empty shops has never been seen) within sight of Penzance Station, been there since the opening c twenty years ago. Maybe seagulls are brighter than pigeons, but a deterrent it is not! You can just about make it out under the encased droppings.

Welly

I noticed that the starter signal at Chinnor has a plastic bird of prey behind the arm, presumably to scare off the pigeons under the bridge whenever it goes off.

Established Member
Clacton station had a particular problem so netting was put up years ago which required an isolation and a replacement bus service from Thorpe-le-Soken. The special traffic notice usually had a picture on the front relevant to timetable alterations, so a pigeon appeared on the cover.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, anti-roost spikes, protective netting, Harris's hawks and/or a call to the local authority pest control team.

But maybe not a shotgun! (Thanks anyhoo @DarloRich ). ;)

Anything else worth investigating?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So, anti-roost spikes, protective netting, Harris's hawks and/or a call to the local authority pest control team.

Puff pastry? ;)

*Edit* I have collared doves and wood pigeons that come down to feed in my garden and they're nothing but seed-hoovers. The wood pigeons in particular are getting rather plump and I often wonder if I should try to get a return on my investment!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Typical @DarloRich response there! I suppose some would say that the same solution could be used to solve a multitude of problems ;)

Schrodinger's pigeons?

You dont need a shot gun. An air rifle will do. I have shot plenty of pigeons they are fairly stupid and easy to hit!

Although if in the town i might call in the local environmental health!

A hawk is a good idea but harder to arrange.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How many people had heard of Schrodinger before Big Bang Theory?
Probably not that many. And probably even fewer would be able to make a decent stab at explaining the meaning of his famous 1935 'cat-in-a-box' thought experiment. :rolleyes:

lxfe_mxtterz

Roosting and cr*pping everywhere? That's nothing...! ;)

The other day, at the stables, I noticed a dead pigeon wedged into a narrow gap between two wooden panels at the top of the indoor arena. Spoke to the yard manager and turns out it's been there for over a week but nobody can actually reach to remove it due to how high up it is!

So now we've got a lovely new "decomposing pigeon" decorative feature to greet the clients...!

Status
Not open for further replies.