• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiff123

Established Member
So, is 769426 just... not coming then?
I personally have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't now. It's no secret now that TfW want shot of the 769s asap, with speculation on FB groups that TfW are looking to deploy their new Stadler Flirt 231s onto Rhymney services asap to displace the 769s until the 756s enter into service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Overnight testing of the class 231s between Cardiff and severn tunnel junction starting soon theres even Overnight paths on the rhymney branch

Bob Price

Overnight testing of the class 231s between Cardiff and severn tunnel junction starting soon theres even Overnight paths on the rhymney branch
Any idea of when? I will scour the schedules. I wonder if the idea is one will do STJ and the other Rhymney.

Better ride a few 769's as their days may be numbered

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I personally have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't now. It's no secret now that TfW want shot of the 769s asap, with speculation on FB groups that TfW are looking to deploy their new Stadler Flirt 231s onto Rhymney services asap to displace the 769s until the 756s enter into service.
Has 426 even been converted yet or is it still as a 319?

Kyle2

Makes sense, they're basically the same as 756's right, just without batteries? I'd imagine training Rhymney Valley drivers on 231's now will save a bit of time when the 756's are delivered, i can't imagine the 756 training course taking too long if they're (drivers) already familiar with an almost identical unit.

And as someone who regularly travels to and from Caerphilly, anything to be shot of the 769's. I was hoping TFW would rush the intro of the 197's to bring more 150's down to South Wales to cover the Rhymney diagrams, so that there's less disruption once a 769 inevitably breaks down.

Philip

On Moderation
Is a class 175 out of service for repair? A few TfW services towards Chester have been cancelled over the last couple of days with one reason being that some trains are being repaired.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Oh nice, I shall look forward to seeing them with my own eyes in due course. Don't get me wrong, I like the 769s, but the unreliability of them is frustrating.

Still, I hope I will be able to get 769006 and 769421 underlined in my book before they go. 769426 I really don't care about, if it had been in active passenger service then that would have been different!

craigybagel

Established Member
And as someone who regularly travels to and from Caerphilly, anything to be shot of the 769's. I was hoping TFW would rush the intro of the 197's to bring more 150's down to South Wales to cover the Rhymney diagrams, so that there's less disruption once a 769 inevitably breaks down.
In theory, I think the only 150s actually booked to be in the North these days are the two Bidston units, which will be replaced by 230s. 153s have taken over the rest of their booked work in the North. That said, they do still appear almost daily covering for other units, or as they are today, the 67 and MKIVs.
Is a class 175 out of service for repair? A few TfW services towards Chester have been cancelled over the last couple of days with one reason being that some trains are being repaired.
At least one got clobbered by a tree, as did a few Sprinters.

berneyarms

Established Member
I see there is a working to & from Chester and Alsthom in Widnes tomorrow - this should be the final class 175 (175 112) heading in for refurbishment and 175 114 returning.

Any word on 158 836 completing its refurb, and if so, what’s replacing it at Crewe?

Caaardiff

In theory, I think the only 150s actually booked to be in the North these days are the two Bidston units, which will be replaced by 230s. 153s have taken over the rest of their booked work in the North. That said, they do still appear almost daily covering for other units, or as they are today, the 67 and MKIVs.
150's are still used on the Blaenau line.
I see there is a working to & from Chester and Alsthom in Widnes tomorrow - this should be the final class 175 (175 112) heading in for refurbishment and 175 114 returning.

Any word on 158 836 completing its refurb, and if so, what’s replacing it at Crewe?
158827 went in over a week ago. 158836 left around the same time.

Philip

On Moderation

Unless all the 175s leave TfW at the same time late next year, it seems they'll only be operating the full refurbished fleet in their own livery for around 5 months.

If there are no technical problems or delays in crew training for 197s, perhaps it's reasonable to assume that TfW are hoping for the May timetable as a start date for 197s on the Manchester-North Wales services.

wobman

On Moderation
Unless all the 175s leave TfW at the same time late next year, it seems they'll only be operating the full refurbished fleet in their own livery for around 5 months.

If there are no technical problems or delays in crew training for 197s, perhaps it's reasonable to assume that TfW are hoping for the May timetable as a start date for 197s on the Manchester-North Wales services.
The first route you will see the 197s in service will be the Chester to Liverpool Lime Street services, they are on mileage accumulation and testing along the N Wales coast.

berneyarms

Established Member

I would not be assuming that.

Given that every single new class of train has experienced issues and delays, I wouldn’t be holding my breath about rapid deployment across the network.

craigybagel

Established Member
150's are still used on the Blaenau line.
Interesting. Last I'd checked it had gone over to 153s - or in the case of today, a Llew Jones operated bus....

Given that every single new class of train has experienced issues and delays, I wouldn’t be holding my breath about rapid deployment across the network.
Exactly. I wouldn't worry about the 175s leaving any time soon.

Philip

On Moderation

Using the 195s as a comparison, it was just less than a year between testing starting and the first few going into passenger service; and these had numerous problems. Not saying this will definitely happen but I think it's fairly realistic to think that a good few will be in passenger service by next summer, as it will be a year by then since testing started.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Makes sense, they're basically the same as 756's right, just without batteries? I'd imagine training Rhymney Valley drivers on 231's now will save a bit of time when the 756's are delivered, i can't imagine the 756 training course taking too long if they're (drivers) already familiar with an almost identical unit.
A 231 is not just a 756 without batteries, there's no pantograph on a 231 either. I'm also expecting the 4-car 756s to have an extra set of doors on each side compared to 231s although the artist's impressions haven't been consistent on that so I may be wrong. According to Wikipedia, there is also a difference in top-speed (75mph for 756s vs 90mph on 231s) between the two types.

Is staff traction knowledge (or rather lack of it, due to COVID restricting ability to train staff) the reason for not being able to run the mark 4s?

craigybagel

Established Member
According to Wikipedia, there is also a difference in top-speed (75mph for 756s vs 90mph on 231s) between the two types.
I've noticed that in Wikipedia but I've not been able to find any official sources about it. The defacto top speed for the 756s will be 75mph anyway given the limitations of the Valleys network but it wouldn't surprise me if both 756 and 231s are actually specced for 100mph like the similar Anglia units.
Is staff traction knowledge (or rather lack of it, due to COVID restricting ability to train staff) the reason for not being able to run the mark 4s?
It's part of the reason. The backlog of training isn't anywhere near as big as it once was, but each round trip involves several traincrew and it only takes one to be missing for the entire round trip to require a unit instead.

Sometimes there are also technical problems - it's still early days and not all of the bugs have been ironed out just yet, and there aren't any spare sets at present.

Domh245

Established Member
I've noticed that in Wikipedia but I've not been able to find any official sources about it. The defacto top speed for the 756s will be 75mph anyway given the limitations of the Valleys network but it wouldn't surprise me if both 756 and 231s are actually specced for 100mph like the similar Anglia units.

Will Stadler's own reference sheets do?

Trimodal (756)

Diesel (231)

Class 231Class 756 (4)Class 755/4
Max Speed (mph)9075100
Max Power (kW)1500 (1920 installed)2600 (/1300 Battery)2600 (1920 installed)
Maximum Wheel T.E. (kN)160200200
Max starting acceleration (m/s2)0.91.11.1 (0.9 Diesel)
Doors (on 4 car unit)674

It would seem that the units are similar "under the skin", at least in terms of physically installed equipment with differences being software limits

craigybagel

Established Member
Will Stadler's own reference sheets do?

Trimodal (756)

Diesel (231)

Class 231Class 756 (4)Class 755/4
Max Speed (mph)9075100
Max Power (kW)1500 (1920 installed)2600 (/1300 Battery)2600 (1920 installed)
Maximum Wheel T.E. (kN)160200200
Max starting acceleration (m/s2)0.91.11.1 (0.9 Diesel)
Doors (on 4 car unit)674

It would seem that the units are similar "under the skin", at least in terms of physically installed equipment with differences being software limits
Thanks, that's definitely a more reliable source! And yes, it does look like it's more of a software tweak than anything else.

Domh245

Established Member
so theoretically if tfw wished in the future any these specs could relatively simply be improved?

Not quite, the only spec that could easily be tweaked are the top speeds as it would seem to just be a software limiter that does this.

Power, tractive effort & acceleration are all limited by the kit onboard, the 755s and 756s already operate at the apparent limit when powered from OLE. The 231s are limited by the output of the engines but it would seem that if fitted with 25kV equipment should also be able to match the peak acceleration & T.E. of their sisters

Anonymous10

Established Member
currently on one the last unrefurbished 158s which is operating the Pembroke dock branch today numbers to follow makes me appreciate the tfw units a little more.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
It's part of the reason. The backlog of training isn't anywhere near as big as it once was, but each round trip involves several traincrew and it only takes one to be missing for the entire round trip to require a unit instead.

Sometimes there are also technical problems - it's still early days and not all of the bugs have been ironed out just yet, and there aren't any spare sets at present.
Thanks; good to know that the suituation should improve in future.

craigybagel

Established Member
so theoretically if tfw wished in the future any these specs could relatively simply be improved?

Not quite, the only spec that could easily be tweaked are the top speeds as it would seem to just be a software limiter that does this.

Power, tractive effort & acceleration are all limited by the kit onboard, the 755s and 756s already operate at the apparent limit when powered from OLE. The 231s are limited by the output of the engines but it would seem that if fitted with 25kV equipment should also be able to match the peak acceleration & T.E. of their sisters
And from what I understand over at Anglia, the performance of these units, even for the 231s on diesel, is going to be mind blowing compared to what they're replacing.

There's really no point in tweaking their top speeds unless TfW change the routes they're allocated to. 75mph is the maximum speed on the Valley lines, and even that's only for a relatively short distance. Most of the time the 756s will be at 60 or less - and given the short distances between stations there seems little reason to improve that (the acceleration of these units should provide better journey times by themselves).

The maximum speed for the 231 routes is 95 if they're allowed to run at HST speeds - otherwise 90. Again, the improved acceleration over the units they're replacing should provide a decent upgrade without needing any changes to top speed.

Thanks; good to know that the suituation should improve in future.
Indeed it should. There are another 3 drivers finishing off their training this very week, and experience with dealing with the stock itself is growing every day.

The numbers of loco trained crew at both Crewe and Cardiff depots is due to be effectively doubled through next year to account for the Swansea - Manchester services so that should have a positive impact on the reliability of the Holyheads when there's a larger pool of both crew and stock available for both routes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.