• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Under the new timetable, does anyone know which TfW services out of Manchester (either towards Chester or South Wales) are booked for a 2 coach unit Mon-Fri?

Some of the Manchester to South Wales services inparticular seem very hit and miss as to whether a 2 or 3 coach unit turns up.

I don’t believe there’s any TfW Manchester services that are actually ‘booked’ a formation. Ideally they’ll all be 175s, but whether that’s a /0 or a /1 is anyone’s guess.

There is/was a service on Sunday, either the 13:30 or 14:30 out of Manchester booked a combination of 150s and 153s, but other than that, any combination (within reason) of 150, 153, 158, or 175 can turn up.

craigybagel

Established Member
I don’t believe there’s any TfW Manchester services that are actually ‘booked’ a formation. Ideally they’ll all be 175s, but whether that’s a /0 or a /1 is anyone’s guess.

There is/was a service on Sunday, either the 13:30 or 14:30 out of Manchester booked a combination of 150s and 153s, but other than that, any combination (within reason) of 150, 153, 158, or 175 can turn up.
Everything is booked, and diagrams for 2 and 3 car 175s are separate.

However, given the constant changes between engineering work and temporary timetables, and then on the day disruption, it's not exactly rare for units to end up in the wrong place.

Armchair Bob

The last two class 153s to be refurbished, 918 and 982 still in EMT livery, transferred from Canton to Landore last friday afternoon. As far as l know, 968 and 972 are yet to be released back into traffic from there. Supposedly acquired for spares, 374 is still parked in a siding adjacent to the works; it doesn't appear to have been cannibalised so l wonder whether it may end up reinstated at some point as a bike carrier for HOWL?

animationmilo

The last two class 153s to be refurbished, 918 and 982 still in EMT livery, transferred from Canton to Landore last friday afternoon. As far as l know, 968 and 972 are yet to be released back into traffic from there. Supposedly acquired for spares, 374 is still parked in a siding adjacent to the works; it doesn't appear to have been cannibalised so l wonder whether it may end up reinstated at some point as a bike carrier for HOWL?
That sounds good, do we know if 968 and 972 have the big toilets?

Anonymous10

Established Member
so thats the 153 i saw outside landore on Monday

berneyarms

Established Member
Have either 158 825 or 158 828 headed to Crewe for refurbishment since the start of the new year?

Looks like the final refurbished Class 175 (175 112) will return to Chester on Friday from Widnes.

Thank you
I thought TFW were keeping 8 x 153s from Angel for HOWL trains?
303, 312, 327, 353, 362 and 318 and 382 only make 7? Unless thats all they need?
Well they own nine sets if you include PRM lite sets 153 968 and 153 972 - they can run coupled up to a full PRM unit.

sw1ller

Established Member
I was shunting 828 last night and it was an absolute mess. I didn’t realise how run down they had become now I’ve gotten used to the refurbished units.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I was shunting 828 last night and it was an absolute mess. I didn’t realise how run down they had become now I’ve gotten used to the refurbished units.
any of the atw interior units feel drab and run down now not to mention unloved i know they are being refurbished but would be nice if they were kept a little cleaner

animationmilo

175002 seems to have gone to widnes transport tech, Maybe it needs updating. It was the first TFW refurb to be done back in July 2019 so maybe its going to have a polish up outside and inside?

wobman

On Moderation
175002 seems to have gone to widnes transport tech, Maybe it needs updating. It was the first TFW refurb to be done back in July 2019 so maybe its going to have a polish up outside and inside?
Some refreshed 175s carpets have started lifting in places, plus seat covers a loose in areas. Maybe they first ones just need a little tidy now.

Cardiff123

Established Member
TfW press release on the completion of the 175 refurb project

Transport for Wales (TfW) is celebrating the completion of work to refurbish its fleet of Class 175 long-distance trains.
Train manufacturer Alstom has been working to refurbish the 27 Coradia trains at their Technology Centre in Widnes, Cheshire, as part of TfW’s £40 million investment in its current fleet of trains.
Since the first train re-entered service in the summer of 2019, customers have been benefiting from improved facilities, including USB and electric charging points, brand new toilet seats, re-covered seats, new carpets and new interior fittings. The trains have also been rebranded on the outside with TfW’s grey and red livery.
The Class 175s form the backbone of TfW’s express services, operating services across the Wales and Borders network through South, North and West Wales and the Borders. The refresh of these trains is one part of TfW’s £40 million refurbishment programme – work to refurbish the Class 153 and 158 fleets is nearing completion, and work is also ongoing to refurbish the Class 150 Sprinter trains.
TfW are also investing over £800 million on a fleet of brand new trains, which will begin to enter service across the Wales and Borders network later in 2022.

Envoy

Established Member
So, the Welsh have shelled out £40 million on the refurbishment of a fleet that will gone over the next year. I suppose that due to the state they were in they had little choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.