• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTE-liveried multiple units - unusual services/locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It's me again lol

Recent discussion on the Preserved stock in PTE livery thread over in Railtours & Preservation ended up bringing forth a few examples of PTE-liveried multiple units on services outwith that PTE's geographical scope, namely Strathclyde PTE Orange/Black-liveried Class 107s on Fife Circle duties in the 1980s & SPT Carmine/Cream-liveried Class 156s on Newcastle-Stranraer services in the 2000s. These got me thinking: how many more examples of this have there been across the country over the years, and what was the most unusual/far flung of them all?

PS: Works/refurbishment & scrap moves are excluded.

This should be a interesting rabbit hole to dive into, so let's have at it. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Merseytravel and GMPTE liveried 142s and 150s ended up all over what was Regional Railways North West's network; the "random unit generator" is nothing new. The only thing that ever seemed to stay where it was meant to be was 101s and LHCS.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Definitely pre-privatisation and maybe a little during privatisation, Scotrail 156s ended up in a variety of places.

As said in the other thread, some SPT 156s ended up in Cumbria very frequently, even going as far as Whitehaven and I think maybe Lancaster?

Iskra

Established Member
WYPTE Red Class 158's Ended up in Glasgow regularly around 2003-2004 when they were used on the Arriva Trains Northern Leeds-Glasgow Central express services over the Settle and Carlisle.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Definitely pre-privatisation and maybe a little during privatisation, Scotrail 156s ended up in a variety of places.

As said in the other thread, some SPT 156s ended up in Cumbria very frequently, even going as far as Whitehaven and I think maybe Lancaster?
While not nearly in the same ballpark distance-wise, they also regularly ended up in Edinburgh on Shotts Line turns, as did SPT 334s on Airdrie-Bathgate duties. Going back to the National Express era, 318s were on-again/off-again regulars* (alongside 90s & Mk3 sets) in Edinburgh on North Berwick duties between the demise of the 305s & the return of the 322s under First's tenure.

*: linked image copyright of Flickr's Ewan (maccookie).

WYPTE Red Class 158's Ended up in Glasgow regularly around 2003-2004 when they were used on the Arriva Trains Northern Leeds-Glasgow Central express services over the Settle and Carlisle.
Seems it happened infrequently prior to 2003/04, as this pic by Paul Bigland of 158910 at Glasgow Central in March 2001 proves, with a SPT 156 parked in the background for good measure. ;)

E: Scratch the first part of the above, @Neptune has set us both right on this below lol

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
PS: Works/refurbishment & scrap moves are excluded.
Although related to a works move, this actual working wasn't one...

Back in Summer 1984, one of the first sets to be repainted into Strathclyde PTE orange/black, which had been done at Swindon, was commandeered by Tyseley depot and put into service on the Cross City line. Photos of the set - a mixed 107 DMBS+107 TSL+101 DMCL - leaving Birmingham New Street appeared in the railway press at the time.

Also in the West Mids, some WYPTE liveried 308s were used in the early days of electrification of the Cross City in around 1994 when there were problems with the 323s.

I also remember Strathclyde liveried 101s being used in the North West in the early 90s, having been cascaded south from Eastfield.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I started a thread about 141s a few years ago, asking how far from West Yorkshire they got in service. They obviously made it to places like York and Sheffield on a daily basis but there were mentions of them making it to Manchester (both Vic and Picc) and even Blackpool once they'd been refurbished and could multi with other 14x and 15x sets.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Although related to a works move, this actual working wasn't one...

Back in Summer 1984, one of the first sets to be repainted into Strathclyde PTE orange/black, which had been done at Swindon, was commandeered by Tyseley depot and put into service on the Cross City line. Photos of the set - a mixed 107 DMBS+107 TSL+101 DMCL - leaving Birmingham New Street appeared in the railway press at the time.

Also in the West Mids, some WYPTE liveried 308s were used in the early days of electrification of the Cross City in around 1994 when there were problems with the 323s.

I also remember Strathclyde liveried 101s being used in the North West in the early 90s, having been cascaded south from Eastfield.
Very interesting. I'll allow it. ;)

As to the last point, that of course reoccured in the early 2000s, when some Strathclyde-liveried 101s ended up with First North Western after ScotRail (Nat X) had finally dispensed with the type's services in November 1999, supplementing the ones already in use there. This included the uniquely-liveried 101692 (linked images copyright of Flickr's 6089Gardner). One of the Orange/Black sets ended up being used on the classes' farewell tours in December 2003, if my memory isn't failing me.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I started a thread about 141s a few years ago, asking how far from West Yorkshire they got in service. They obviously made it to places like York and Sheffield on a daily basis but there were mentions of them making it to Manchester (both Vic and Picc) and even Blackpool once they'd been refurbished and could multi with other 14x and 15x sets.
WYPTE 141s, 144s and 155s have all been regulars on the Blackpool - York services.

In the late 80s unrefurbed 141s also worked the York - Darlington shuttle in green/cream.

I'm also sure I read 143s were once the booked units on Windermere services. Presumably some T&WPTE ones worked the branch.

Edit: T&WPTE livery 143s did work to Windermere. Thee is at least 1 photo on Flickr.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
The Leeds - Glasgow service ran from 1999-2003 and was booked for a 158/9 although TPE 158’s turned up plus some other classes.

Taunton

Established Member
South Yorkshire had some classic Derby dmus painted in their brown/cream colours. I don't think there's a single service just within their area, but also there was no dmu depot there either, so it had to be a Lincoln unit, which would turn up in Skegness, Nottingham, Hull, wherever.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yeah. Yeah, that very much does count! Was this a byproduct of the post-Hatfield fallout or a seperate incident entirely? Have seen a few members talking about this, but this is the first photo I think I've ever seen that 100% confirms it.

There was another incident in BR days (pre Hatfield) where all Mk4s had to be withdrawn, and so whatever EMUs could be cobbled together were used to run a skeleton service, a bit like on GWR when the 80x all had to be withdrawn.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Very interesting. I'll allow it. ;)

As to the last point, that of course reoccured in the early 2000s, when some Strathclyde-liveried 101s ended up with First North Western after ScotRail (Nat X) had finally dispensed with the type's services in November 1999, supplementing the ones already in use there. This included the uniquely-liveried 101692 (linked images copyright of Flickr's 6089Gardner). One of the Orange/Black sets ended up being used on the classes' farewell tours in December 2003, if my memory isn't failing me.

To add to this and my original info, I've since remembered that Tyseley also had some Strathclyde sets (101688-690) in 1992/93 - they were outshopped from Doncaster in orange/black after refurb, in readiness for their move north (for the new service to Whifflet?), but ran from Tyseley in their new colours before moving north.

And yes you are correct re the farewell tour - 101693 was the middle set in the rake, with 676 (RR) and 685 (Green) either side of it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
South Yorkshire had some classic Derby dmus painted in their brown/cream colours. I don't think there's a single service just within their area, but also there was no dmu depot there either, so it had to be a Lincoln unit, which would turn up in Skegness, Nottingham, Hull, wherever.
Just the one unit, a class 114 set.
There was another incident in BR days (pre Hatfield) where all Mk4s had to be withdrawn, and so whatever EMUs could be cobbled together were used to run a skeleton service, a bit like on GWR when the 80x all had to be withdrawn.
That was after the Sandy derailment when all mk4 sets were stopped for checks. Was quite a surprise being on a DayRover and seeing a pair of 317s in Leeds!

Falcon1200

Established Member
When allocating Class 156 sets at Corkerhill (the only place a large number of them finished each night) to diagrams the criteria we used were;

RETB-fitted sets to RETB diagrams
Sets due Exam the next day onto a Corkerhill-finishing diagram
Sets getting close to Exam onto diagrams with suitable mileage
Sets due Heavy Clean the next day onto a suitable diagram

Whether a set was orange or not played no part in allocating them at all !

Ianigsy

A couple of instances come to mind...

Merseytravel liveried 142 from Mirfield to Wakefield

GMPTE liveried 150 from Chester to Holyhead

WYPTE liveried 144s working Morecambe-Lancaster shuttles before returning to Leeds; I believe three-car 144s were allocated to the Whitby line for a while to cover school traffic.

WYPTE 155s and 158s working the late lamented Liverpool-Calder Valley-York service

Strathclyde liveried 101s were a regular sight in the North West for a few years either side of 1990 as they were sent to Chester to cover for the various Pacer issues.

Centro liveried 150s working out of Leeds after reallocation from Tyseley; particularly notable was 150126 which had one vehicle in Centro green and the other in Network West Midlands blue and white.

I think I'm right in adding that before ERTMS, Centro 150s occasionally made it onto the Cambrian Coast.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Wasn't a Strathclyde 156 involved in the Ais Gill accident in 1995? Either directly involved or used as a "rescue train"? I vaguely recall seeing the orange on photos and news reports at the time.
Or is that another false memory?

Neptune

Established Member
Wasn't a Strathclyde 156 involved in the Ais Gill accident in 1995? Either directly involved or used as a "rescue train"? I vaguely recall seeing the orange on photos and news reports at the time.
Or is that another false memory?
No. 156468 & 156490 were the units involved and have never seen anything about a rescue unit.

gka472l

No photo evidence unfortunately but I do recall Merseytravel liveried 150211 was borrowed for a service from the north west to Cardiff, and actually worked down to Paignton, before presumably returning north fairly swiftly....the report of it was either in one of the railway magazines or the Railway Observer (which my Dad got delivered monthly being in the RCTS, and still does...). I'm assuming it must have been the early part of the 90's

HTH

Iskra

Established Member
The Leeds - Glasgow service ran from 1999-2003 and was booked for a 158/9 although TPE 158’s turned up plus some other classes.
Thanks for the correction, for some reason I had it in my mind it was just for one year they ran to Glasgow.

Neptune

Established Member
Just the one unit, a class 114 set.

That was after the Sandy derailment when all mk4 sets were stopped for checks. Was quite a surprise being on a DayRover and seeing a pair of 317s in Leeds!
Pairs of 321/9’s ran to Kings Cross too bringing WYPTE to the capital!

nw1

Established Member
Weren't there some NSE-liveried 101s operating out of Manchester, or perhaps Chester, for a time in the mid-late 90s?
Presumably allocated somewhere (not sure where?) in NSE-land before being moved.

(Sorry, re-read thread title: I realise that's not PTE but it's still 'out of area')

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Weren't there some NSE-liveried 101s operating out of Manchester, or perhaps Chester, for a time in the mid-late 90s?
Presumably allocated somewhere (not sure where?) in NSE-land before being moved.

(Sorry, re-read thread title: I realise that's not PTE but it's still 'out of area')
If they were NSE livery, they could possibly have been released by the Royston-Cambridge in-fill electrification in 1988 but more likely cascaded from Reading/Didcot/Oxford (and environs) Turboification in the early 1990s.

Neptune

Established Member
If they were NSE livery, they could possibly have been released by the Royston-Cambridge in-fill electrification in 1988 but more likely cascaded from Reading/Didcot/Oxford (and environs) Turboification in the early 1990s.
It was sets L835 and L840. L835 eventually received RR livery.

D6968

Would the Chocolate and Cream ‘Skipper’ 142’s count when they moved from Devon and Cornwall up to the North East?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Would the Chocolate and Cream ‘Skipper’ 142’s count when they moved from Devon and Cornwall up to the North East?

I was just about to mention that one, I remember doing a double take when one pulled across the viaduct into Knaresborough station around 1992!

YorksLad12

Established Member
Yeah. Yeah, that very much does count! Was this a byproduct of the post-Hatfield fallout or a seperate incident entirely? Have seen a few members talking about this, but this is the first photo I think I've ever seen that 100% confirms it.
Honestly I've no idea; but that looks like one of WYPTE's 321s so...
Pairs of 321/9’s ran to Kings Cross too bringing WYPTE to the capital!
... is probably the answer.

randyrippley

Established Member
For a few years Lancaster was the place to see out-of-area Pacer liveries..
Class 142 in two types of Provincial blue, Manchester orange, Liverpool yellow, GW chocolate & cream.
Class 144 in West Yorkshire red
And not a lot of logic to what went where

Status
Not open for further replies.