• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTE-liveried multiple units - unusual services/locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
That's not Merseytravel, that's Tyne and Wear PTE livery. As you suggest, not an uncommon sight, as while most of the former 'Skippers' allocated to Heaton were repainted into the Tyne and Wear yellow and white livery, 142025 and 026 retained their original chocolate and cream livery until privatisation.
Got those two mixed up; cheers for the correction. :) Will go back and correct the original post.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Falcon1200

Established Member
As already mentioned, Strathclyde Red Class 156 sets were daily visitors to Carlisle, but I also recall an occasion when, pre-privatisation and when Corkerhill Drivers still had route knowledge for the WCML, due to disruption to Inter-City services we ran a 6-car Class 318 from Glasgow Central to Carlisle.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Strathclyder

Established Member
Class 318s also ran to Carlisle when they were being tested, but that might not comply with the OPs criteria re "works" movements:

Photo by David Ford on Flickr

I meant to include test runs in my OP under excluded workings, but I'll allow your example (primarily because I've done a lot of miles on 318s over the years lol). :)

Last edited:

dubscottie

All the Fife Circle services on a Sunday were booked for SPTE 156s until about 1992.
The usual 150s were heavily diagramed and Sunday was used as a maintenance day.
If I remember right, the 156s were spare as there was no Edinburgh - Glasgow via Shotts service on a Sun at the time.

They were also used on Edinburgh - Aberdeen trains around 1990 during the period between the 47/7s going and the introduction of the 158s

LowLevel

Established Member
How about this:-

A GMPTE 323 at Birmingham New Street.

They had booked worked to Birmingham at peak times from Manchester as extensions of the Stoke services throughout throughout the 90s.

The Centro 323s had booked work to Liverpool too in the late 90s.

The Centro WMPTE 150s were pretty much common user - they'd turn up everywhere from Skegness to Pwllheli, local services in Lincolnshire, even the odd jaunt to Norwich.

365 Networker

They had booked worked to Birmingham at peak times from Manchester as extensions of the Stoke services throughout throughout the 90s.

The Centro 323s had booked work to Liverpool too in the late 90s.

The Centro WMPTE 150s were pretty much common user - they'd turn up everywhere from Skegness to Pwllheli, local services in Lincolnshire, even the odd jaunt to Norwich.
Thanks for the info.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting, cheers for that. As for what they would've been refurbished for, the reopening of the Whifflet Line (or releasing 156s from Barrhead duties to enable the Sprinters to strengthen Kilmarnock services) makes the most sense date-wise.

Cheers for the reminder, knew I wasn't going nuts. Just looked did a bit of digging and RailwayMedia.co.uk bears gold once again.

Double checking has confirmed it was the Whifflet line opening in October 1993. One thing I'd not remembered was that when first outshopped from Doncaster in orange/black and based at Tyseley, 101688-690 did not carry the Strathclyde PTE branding/logo.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Double checking has confirmed it was the Whifflet line opening in October 1993. One thing I'd not remembered was that when first outshopped from Doncaster in orange/black and based at Tyseley, 101688-690 did not carry the Strathclyde PTE branding/logo.
Cheers for the extra details. :) Aye, the Whifflet Line opening makes the most sense given the dates.

When Bathgate first (re) opened, I think it was operated with 143s sent from Newcastle - were they T&W PTE or Provincial/Regional Railways?
From photos I've seen, I believe that was solely Provincial liveried units. There's more information on this page here:
One of the few times any member of the Pacer family was seen in regular service north of the border (barring the occasional 142 vice 156 on the irregular Northern*-operated Carlisle - Dumfries services; linked image copyright of Flickr's 6089Gardner).

*: In this context, this is a blanket term to refer to the operator of the Northern franchise at the time the photo was taken.

Neptune

Established Member
I was tempted to say Arriva Trains Northern, but that clearly would have been way off the mark date-wise lol Cheers. :)
No probs.

Northern Spirit ran from April 1997 when the RRNE franchise started through to April 2001 when it was renamed Arriva Trains Northern some months after Arriva’s takeover of MTL.

Strathclyder

Established Member
No probs.

Northern Spirit ran from April 1997 when the RRNE franchise started through to April 2001 when it was renamed Arriva Trains Northern some months after Arriva’s takeover of MTL.
Ta. :)

As per my avatar, I've grown up with the various ScotRail franchises, so most of the early ones south of the border draw complete blanks with me lol

lakeland844

I remember Class 142 pacers in GM and Merseyside liveries working the Cumbrian Coast line through Workington 1994/1995 time - not a rare sight in Carlisle during that period

DazrahT

Recollections over the years from here in the Midlands from the early 90s and into the 2000s

Network SouthEast Class 308s (ex LTS) and NSE Class 310s, 308s in WYPTE 'Metrotrain' livery - these were mainly to supplement the existing WM 304/310/312 fleet following the X-City Electrification but having a lack of Class 323s due to issues with them initially. I guess even the West Midlands 'Midline' livery Class 310s made it to some far flung places, Bletchley definitely before Soho Depot as that's where they were officially based.

Class 150's in Centro Livery on New Street/Coventry - Nottingham - Lincoln Central's and out to far flung exotic places like Hereford (Well out of Centroland!)

RRNW/FNW Class 309s on a morning B'ham Intl - Man Picc service (I only ever did it once, and that was in it's final weeks), but sometimes got replaced with a GMPTE Class 323

Class 150's in Centro livery in the mid-2000s on late night services New Street - Euston when they were tinkering with the West Coast Route Mod, assuming it was to do with OHLE work going on on the southern part of the WCML

Helvellyn

Established Member
I think it's been mentioned but the Tyne & Wear liveried Class 143s (143020-143025) would regularly turn up at Carlisle on Tyne Valley workings, as seen here > https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5881015246

There's also a photo on flickr of an original GMPTE orange and brown Class 142 at Carlisle from 1994 > https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/8095166629

And even a Merseyrail example from 1994 as well > https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/8190561703

It has also been mentioned that the original Strathclyde liveried Class 156s (156501-156514) weren't strangers at Newcastle. Regional Railways North East and ScotRail used to run some joint through services from SW Scotland to Newcastle, one of which was named each way (I'm sure there was a "Tyne Enterprise" that ran Stranraer to Newcastle); others weren't named such as this 07:05 Girvan-Newcastle service from 1989 > https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/8003635821

Neptune

Established Member
It has also been mentioned that the original Strathclyde liveried Class 156s (156501-156514) weren't strangers at Newcastle. Regional Railways North East and ScotRail used to run some joint through services from SW Scotland to Newcastle, one of which was named each way (I'm sure there was a "Tyne Enterprise" that ran Stranraer to Newcastle); others weren't named such as this 07:05 Girvan-Newcastle service from 1989 > https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/8003635821
Yes I remember them naming it Tyne Enterprise. I’m fairly sure the reverse working was called the Galloway Enterprise.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Slightly OT, but 156503 looks very shiny there (being brand new obviously lol)! Shows how smart the SPTE Orange/Black livery could really be, despite it being considered very bold and brash by some. I personally prefer it overall with the later ScotRail 'Swoosh', but I digress lol

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
On the subject of Strathclyde units, has 156502's visit to Utrecht been mentioned yet?
Mentioned in post #36 of this thread. ;) More details plus pictures in the link below.

Just stumbled across this on Martyn Hilbert's Flickr's stream and thought it appropriate for this thread.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
A trio of SPT livery 156s worked to carnoustie during the British open golf championship in 2007, which is the last time 156s were seen north of dundee/perth in regular service
Speaking of SPT 156s to Dundee, not long after finding this while looking for something else...

(156436 & 170470 at Wormit with a Dundee to Leuchars ECS for an additional service to Edinburgh - 16th July 2005. Copyright of Jim Ramsey)

The first picture I've seen of a SPT 156 & 170 running in multiple I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.