• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchasing national rail tickets at stations where ticket issuing facilities are only provided by London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
I noticed in London earlier this week that at some stations shared between National Rail and London Underground (Moorgate, Old Street and Amersham are the three I noticed this at), all ticket issuing facilities are in the form of London Underground operated TVMs. Whilst they do sell tickets to some National Rail destinations, they don’t sell tickets to a large number of them, therefore what would be a customer’s rights should they begin they’re journey at one of these stations and the London Underground TVM won’t sell the ticket they need? I can’t see TFL staff allowing people in such a situation through the gateline without a ticket, despite that presumably being what the passenger is entitled to do.

I also noticed that Amersham is offered as a collection location for ticket on departure, despite the London Underground TVMs not having this feature. I assume anyone who had a ticket on departure collection from Amersham would have to be allowed to board a train at Amersham without collecting their ticket?
Edit: The issue with TOD at Amersham appears to be specific to the LNER app.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Amersham is definitely NOT on the TOD collection list. We're correctly telling customers that they'll need to collect from another station.

DanNCL

Established Member
Amersham is definitely NOT on the TOD collection list. We're correctly telling customers that they'll need to collect from another station.
LNER offered it as a TOD location for me yesterday. Knowing that I wouldn’t be able to collect the tickets at Amersham, and LNER’s app refusing to offer an e-ticket, rather than buying online I opted to buy at the station to save problems, but many people if they saw this wouldn’t realise that you can’t collect pre purchased tickets at Amersham and would select the TOD option, which is partly what prompted me to start this thread.

Good to know that Trainsplit correctly omits Amersham from the TOD list, shame LNER don’t!

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Strange I’ve just checked and it’s not on the list. It asks where you want to collect the ticket from, normally the origin would be populated in that box. Ah just seen it’s the app, just emailed the product owner to point this out.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
It used to be that the NRCoC suggested in this situation one should purchase a ticket to allow them to commence the journey and then use it in part payment for the desired ticket at a more fully equipped station en-route.

This process was never very well-supported and has been removed from the NRCoT. As a result, there is now somewhat of a lacuna for those wishing to buy this kind of ticket.

DanNCL

Established Member
I’ve just had a look at the LNER app for a dummy booking from Amersham, the example here being Amersham - Great Missenden, this is what is displayed, bit different from what I remembered from yesterday but still gives the impression of TOD being available from Amersham, which it isn’t. Clicking on station info takes you to National Rail enquiries, which doesn’t load properly on my phone. No alternative to ticket on departure is offered by the LNER app for this journey, and no doubt other similar journeys from Amersham (likely also Chalfont & Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth and Harrow-on-the-Hill too).
E6DA6DE1-F100-457D-B182-2026F86B2804.jpeg

Strange I’ve just checked and it’s not on the list. It asks where you want to collect the ticket from, normally the origin would be populated in that box. Ah just seen it’s the app, just emailed the product owner to point this out.
Thank you for looking into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.