• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver64276

Hi

I am a qualified driver and would eventually like to change to another company.
I have seen alot of the new trainee driver jobs, such as Lner asking for A to C grades in English and maths to even be considered for the role.
When I got my job all that was required was 5 gcsc A to C or equivalent, which I had due to a gnvq.
Now if I was to go apply for someone like Lner would I be ruled out for not having a c grade in English, or are they not so bothered when you are already a qualified driver.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Bishop

I don’t think you can apply for a trainee job if your qualified. You would need to wait for a suitable Qualified vacancy to come up.

Driver64276

I don’t think you can apply for a trainee job if your qualified. You would need to wait for a suitable Qualified vacancy to come up.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not after applying for a trainee role. I am trying to find out if companies would require the same gcse standards for a qualified role, as they currently are asking for new trainees.

Jericho

Absolutely not. As a qualified driver, TOC's are not interested in your academic qualifications. Safety of the line record is what counts.

marty1977

I got the grand total of 3 GCSE's with poor grades. However I've moved TOC's twice, I'm a good driver with a very good record, thats all you need when you're qualified.

TJ123

Like others have stated, as a qualified driver changing TOCs the main thing they will look at is your safety of the line record.

How I understand it and from what I've been told, trainee drivers will now be apprenticeship drivers, and because it is an apprenticeship you have to have the required GCSEs. If you dont have the required grades it is my understanding that the TOC you are applying for can make you do key skills (I.T, numeracy) to compensate (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Unlike years ago where apprenticeships were targeted at school leavers etc, its now targeted at anyone really, who meets the criteria.

It seems like most TOCs are going this way with trainees, I believe for each apprentice the TOC will be paid a certain amount. And beside a driving qualification trainees get another qualification from it as well.

Stigy

Established Member
The only reason TOCs/FOCs sometimes require grades A to C in English and Maths is if the driver course forms part of an Apprenticeship (because GCSE grades are a requirement for an Apprenticeship). So this wouldn’t apply to a qualified role.

notadriver

Established Member
A qualified driver with a good safety record particularly with relevant route and traction knowledge is worth a lot more than a few good GCSE’s

Status
Not open for further replies.