• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query about SE & Southern Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was on a steam charter a few days ago around Kent and whilst travelling around, I noticed what appeared to be either new or refurbished South Eastern rolling stock, (or maybe Thameslink?). They were all dark blue and above the small first class area there was the traditional Yellow stripe, (I was pleased to see that reinstated, many TOCS have done away with that easy to see banding.)

I also noticed on adjacent carriages there was a red stripe, I wonder what that signified,? originally the red stripe designated a catering vehicle, buffet, restaurant, griddle or kitchen car, however I am sure that this won't be the case here. :) (I think I also recall some of slam door suburban stock in southeast London also having red stripes on the enclosed 12 seater individual compartment coaches.)

When travelling from VIC to CLJ after the steam charter, I noticed on the Southern unit which was going to Dorking, that the door open buttons on one side of each set of doors had been covered over with a metal strip, so you can only open the doors from one side, on my normal SWT suburban services you can open the doors on either side. I wonder why southern had made this alteration.? Not sure what south eastern do in this respect?

(The steam charter with Bruanton/Lord Dowding was good.)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Refurbished South Eastern 375s were the blue units you saw, 1st Class in one of the middle coaches, the red area is for the wheelchair space.

No idea about the Southern unit you spotted reference door buttons

Last edited:

MrB

On the refurbished SE 375s the red/purple stripe signifies the area with the accessible toilet and seating space for wheelchairs.

physics34

Established Member
I was on a steam charter a few days ago around Kent and whilst travelling around, I noticed what appeared to be either new or refurbished South Eastern rolling stock, (or maybe Thameslink?). They were all dark blue and above the small first class area there was the traditional Yellow stripe, (I was pleased to see that reinstated, many TOCS have done away with that easy to see banding.)

I also noticed on adjacent carriages there was a red stripe, I wonder what that signified,? originally the red stripe designated a catering vehicle, buffet, restaurant, griddle or kitchen car, however I am sure that this won't be the case here. :) (I think I also recall some of slam door suburban stock in southeast London also having red stripes on the enclosed 12 seater individual compartment coaches.)

When travelling from VIC to CLJ after the steam charter, I noticed on the Southern unit which was going to Dorking, that the door open buttons on one side of each set of doors had been covered over with a metal strip, so you can only open the doors from one side, on my normal SWT suburban services you can open the doors on either side. I wonder why southern had made this alteration.? Not sure what south eastern do in this respect?

(The steam charter with Bruanton/Lord Dowding was good.)

One of the sub classes of 377s were built like that... door buttons on one side only. I cannot remember which ones though.

aleggatta

Might have been a Southern 455 with one side of door buttons plated over. The only(theoretical) reason I can see is that it pushes the 'outgoing' traffic to the left to allow space for the incoming traffic, but this standard isn't kept on 377 units, with the only positions where buttons are only on the left is where the guards panel is situated on the right.

Bigfoot

Swt did for a while (last two years or so) have only one door button on quite a few of their 455s. Think it is back to two now.

On Moderation
Swt did for a while (last two years or so) have only one door button on quite a few of their 455s. Think it is back to two now.

Back to two now the PRM work is almost complete: one side is a button only, the other has button and door opening sounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.