• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query around services from Guildford to Waterloo services on 19/09/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This Saturday (19/09) there are x34 Guildford to Waterloo services and x39 Guildford to Waterloo services. The latter originally come from Portsmouth. They are stopping at the same stations. These being Worplesdon, Woking, Clapham Junction and Waterloo

Does anyone know why? It seems odd for them to run 2 services 3 minutes apart. As an example, the 8:34 is shown in Real Time Trains as reservable but I don't remember one being able to get reservations from Guildford to Waterloo. Has this changed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Seems to be the back working of an xx45 WAT GLD and is apparently running on 26th too. Lots of engineering work alterations, so it may be connect with that or an attempt to cater for socially distanced leisure travel.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Weymouth trains diverted via Guildford, so maybe less trains on through Portsmouth services?

(didn’t check in detail though...)

Kieran1990

Weymouth’s and Alton’s are diverted via Guildford this weekend- adding an extra 3 services an hour- meaning 7 in each direction between GLD-WOK. One of the Harbours is terminating short at GLD with the southsea stopper extended to the harbour.

strimmer

I went out to see 9P19, 08:30 off Waterloo, just in case, it was 8 x 450.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Is it possibly an aid to signallers at Guildford in particular to distinguish a particular service each hour for regulation purposes? Or alternatively they just ran out of 1Pxx headcodes for example (signallers don’t tend to like 1Zxx being used in any quantity as theyll end up constantly referring to TRUST.)

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Is it possibly an aid to signallers at Guildford in particular to distinguish a particular service each hour for regulation purposes? Or alternatively they just ran out of 1Pxx headcodes for example (signallers don’t tend to like 1Zxx being used in any quantity as theyll end up constantly referring to TRUST.)

The 9P refer to trains which in the WTT are planned to be formed of 442s, they have been STP’d to other stock but the headcodes not changed seemingly.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. I figured in the end it was due to engineering works. Just seemed odd for the service to be running 5 minytes ahead of the other one and stopping at precisely the same stations!

I don't remember that being the case previously during engineering works. I did wonder if it was to enable passengers who'd arrived by coach from Basingstoke to board the train and not take up space on the x39 services.

I was on the 8:38, which departed slightly late at 8:40. Don't know if it was due to the 8:34 but I wasn't sure why it wasn't booked to depart at 8:39 like the other hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.