• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quick query - Severn Valley Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Is this railway only pre-book at the moment or can you turn up on the day. There seems to be nothing available tomorrow (Thu 28th).
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Aren't Severn Valley Railway tickets only bookable online up to 3.00 p.m. before the day of intended travel? Either way, could be busyish given that it's half term in many places this week.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Other than some special events such as the Halloween trains you can turn up on the day. As per the website

https://www.svr.co.uk/ said:
Saturday 23rd - Sunday 31st October. Steam and Diesel trains running all week! Click for Timetable here.
Tickets are available online until 3pm the previous day, or at the station on the day."

johnnychips

Established Member
Other than some special events such as the Halloween trains you can turn up on the day. As per the website
Thanks. I didn’t see the 3pm bit on the website when I tried to book about an hour ago. I was particularly perplexed when the weekend availability was good but tomorrow was seemingly sold out. Now looking forward to a visit.

Ridercross

I was there today. As others have confirmed just turn up at the Booking Office and pay. Trains were busy but not as rammed as I have known them in the past. All station facilities at Kidder and Bridgnorth open.

1955LR

Same here, although I had a Shareholder ticked , but walk up tickets available . Some trains fairly busy but not overtly so.

paul1609

Established Member
Can't speak for the SVR or others but both the K&ESR & RH&DR down here in Kent were very close to full on morning departures at the beginning of the week. I'd recomend booking in advance where possible. Our Santa specials (K&ESR) are all but fully booked despite hiring in an extra coach from another heritage railway.

peteb

No public walk up service now till boxing day though Santa trains and other special events on sale up to Xmas

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I visited yesterday and, although I booked a rover ticket in advance, they were selling day tickets as well.

The timetable on the website advertised two steam and one diesel services, but in the event it was the other way around. The GWR Pannier 7714 was the steam loco, with 50035 and 40106 providing diesel haulage. The Clayton (8568) was also active, providing some shunting duties at Highley. I would have liked more steam, but it wasn't a problem at all.

The rest of the locos visible (among them Standard No. 75069, Class 08 No. 13201, Class 50 No. 50007, Class 14 No. 9551) all seemed to be inactive; there were also quite a few diesels under cover and in various stages of repair. The sheds were all closed, so I couldn't see what was in them.

The line was very busy, with most of the trains being pretty full. Most of the coaches are compartment stock, which is fine for me and meant that I didn't have to wear a mask during the journeys.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day out!

The timetable on the website advertised two steam and one diesel services, but in the event it was the other way around. The GWR Pannier 7714 was the steam loco, with 50035 and 40106 providing diesel haulage.

According to the locos in use, 1501 (steam) should have been hauling the 10:50 from Kidderminster
40106 operating the diesel turn (11:30 from Kidderminster)
7714 operating the north end (10:10 from Bridgnorth)

I cannot see anything amiss with 1501 online (a little too far away to see properly), but that seems the most likely explanation. (with a class 50 a lot easier to get going than get an additional steam loco up to full pressure from light steam)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
According to the locos in use, 1501 (steam) should have been hauling the 10:50 from Kidderminster. I cannot see anything amiss with 1501 online (a little too far away to see properly), but that seems the most likely explanation.
1501 was parked in the siding parallel with the platform at Bewdley when I came back yesterday evening. I didn't see it in the morning on my way up, but the station took me by surprise and I wasn't on that side of the train. It was stabled with the DMUs and "Taw Valley".

According to the rota for yesterday, 1501 should have worked, but was a failure due to a "fusible plug", but was due to be available today.

It looks like I may have chosen the wrong day to visit, as "Taw Valley" was out and about today - I'd have liked to have seen (and heard) that!

kje7812

1501 failed early wednesday morning with the leaky fusible plug. Such a short notice failure meant it wasn't possible to light up anything else for use. Fortunately 1501 was repaired late afternoon. The SVR is somewhat short on steam locos at the moment, though several (4930, 7812, 13268) are expected back next year from overhaul.
The mild weather also helped as the second KR train (S2) was unheated with 50035 in use (40106 is the only diesel with steam heat and none of the stock has ETH).

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks for this, very useful.

I agree with you about the weather ... it was very mild, and indeed quite light until mid afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.