• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L+Y

I've seen rumours on Facebook of a Freightliner operated flow to somewhere on the Wigan-Southport line. A driver training LE move ran last week- does anybody know anything about this?

Freightmaster

Established Member
I've seen rumours on Facebook of a Freightliner operated flow to somewhere on the Wigan-Southport line.
Back in the 1980s, the Manchester 'binliners' used to run to Appley Bridge,
but I was under the impression that the sidings there had since been
disconnected from the Southport line?

MARK

L+Y

Back in the 1980s, the Manchester 'binliners' used to run to Appley Bridge,
but I was under the impression that the sidings there had since been
disconnected from the Southport line?

MARK
They have been, which is why I was puzzled. The FB poster talks about being told in confidence about a regular Freightliner working (IE, not engineering works) down the Southport line for which the visit of the 66 last week was a driver training exercise. Quite where any working would go is a mystery to me!

The best guess on FB is that it could potentially be something to do with hauling the 507/508 sets away for scrap somewhere. An alternative suggestion is bringing in materials for upcoming heavy works around the old quarry site at Parbold, but the lack of siding space would seem to argue against.

palmersears

Established Member
I've seen rumours on Facebook of a Freightliner operated flow to somewhere on the Wigan-Southport line. A driver training LE move ran last week- does anybody know anything about this?
Is it not the potential trial of Heinz related-produce at Gathurst? Trial run last night:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Is it not the potential trial of Heinz related-produce at Gathurst? Trial run last night:

According to RTT, neither the outbound working nor the return continued to Parbold or Southport to reverse. Yet there is no crossover at Gathurst and I do not believe Wigan to Gathurst is bi-directionally signalled (Absolute Block section). Special working arrangements?

L+Y

According to RTT, neither the outbound working nor the return continued to Parbold or Southport to reverse. Yet there is no crossover at Gathurst and I do not believe Wigan to Gathurst is bi-directionally signalled (Absolute Block section). Special working arrangements?

How interesting! That could be it.

I'll assume that any working would have to be loaded/unloaded on the main line though, as I'd guess adding a loop anywhere purely for a trial would be far too much of an expense?

So, load after the last service train has run, run forward to Southport to run round as the binliner trains did at the very end (92/93?) and then return to the WCML?

Oxfordblues

Is there still a siding at Gathurst? We had commercial explosives out of there in the 1970s.

stantheman

On Moderation
Does anyone know if this is going to be a permanent fixture or just a one off service?
Looking at the news tonight , there are stories of a shortage of containers due to ships being stuck abroad with COVID .my guess it these containers are spare on a Sunday so are being utilised . Surprised if this is a permanent flow .

palmersears

Established Member
Loco detached at Gathurst and ran round light engine via Parbold.

wallan

Looking at the news tonight , there are stories of a shortage of containers due to ships being stuck abroad with COVID .my guess it these containers are spare on a Sunday so are being utilised . Surprised if this is a permanent flow .
Using The Loco / Flats from the Mon - Sat Mossend - Inverness Service

stantheman

On Moderation
The new Doncaster to Eldeslie was supposed to be full time from this week but has not run . Strange as it was full nearly all the time when it was twice weekly ?

Class 170101

Established Member
The new Doncaster to Eldeslie was supposed to be full time from this week but has not run . Strange as it was full nearly all the time when it was twice weekly ?

Might be due to issues getting freight into the country. Don't forget Felixstowe isn't working well at the moment and there are issues with empty containers being in the wrong place and goods in different places.

stantheman

On Moderation
68007 on Mossend to South Bank , today it has reporting code 4E65 , was 4Z previously , does this not suggest its a regular runner ?

stantheman

On Moderation
Grangemouth to Sinfin via WCML tonight and Hexham but why are tanks then booked to go to Eastleigh ?

Donny_m

On Moderation
Anyone know why I just saw a gbrf pulling hoppers up the Avon gorge?

Back to Acton later it says on RTT

First time I’ve seen signs of life here in years and I’m here daily!

Dr Hoo

Established Member
It's been mentioned before, recently.

Stone brought down from the Glensanda quarry in Scotland for HS2, apparently.

bnsf734

Glensanda stone would be granite, stone from the mendip quarries is limestone. Looks like HS2 need the hard stuff!

In another post tonight on this forum I read that the Bedworth Murco terminal has been sold and is due for demolition this spring. Its been a while since the last train ran, any idea how long ago? I have not seen any trains or tankers there for a good while.

A quick search of the planning application shows the new owner is a tool hire business who is planning to use part of the site and develop the rest, but it is probably the end for the sidings.

Last edited:

Donny_m

On Moderation
Were they Engineering or Freight Hoppers?
They were either full size silver coal hoppers or shortened ones, couldn’t see through the trees. 100% not an engineering train.

6B58 colnbrook - portbury auto terminal gbrf

6A58 portbury - Acton yard gbrf

72C

Glensanda stone would be granite, stone from the mendip quarries is limestone. Looks like HS2 need the hard stuff!

In another post tonight on this forum I read that the Bedworth Murco terminal has been sold and is due for demolition this spring. Its been a while since the last train ran, any idea how long ago? I have not seen any trains or tankers there for a good while.

A quick search of the planning application shows the new owner is a tool hire business who is planning to use part of the site and develop the rest, but it is probably the end for the sidings.
Perhaps this why there is rail based interest in Meldon Quarry - Granite ballast

Donny_m

On Moderation
It's been mentioned before, recently.

Stone brought down from the Glensanda quarry in Scotland for HS2, apparently.

Would make sense. Shipped stone is the most logical option. Going to go and bench it tomorrow at 4.30 it runs right by my house.