• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailAdventure Power Cars

DelW

Established Member
If the Rail Advent report is true then I can't wait for 31106 and 50008 to appear in RailAdventure livery, that really will bring a flood of 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' fury
I think the two power cars look very smart, and it's good to see a new livery on the network. If it does happen, it'll certainly be interesting to see the 31 and the 50 in a new livery too, and it's not as if they haven't appeared in plenty of other colour schemes earlier in their lives. Keeping "classic traction" in main line action and earning its living has got to be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
That would make the vehicles far less useful as a delivery from the continent would need a translator van and loco swap. I think it is more likely they’ll run as back-to-back pairs. Interesting to see what happens though!
With the back to back pairs needing something better than plain draw hook (no chain / screw currently) and some multi-working connectors on the point ends as a minimum.

Gag Halfrunt

I wonder if they're offering faster delivery using the class 43s or is it simply because the powercars were available at a decent price?

RailAdventure is run by German enthusiasts who like to operate classic locomotives. They also claim that there is a practical benefit to using old locomotives for rolling stock delivery, because it avoids embarrassing situations in which new stock is hauled by a locomotive from a rival manufacturer.

What we want to avoid is […] using a current product of a locomotive manufacturer to transport the prototype of another competing company, which can lead to conflicts of interest with our customers.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
RailAdventure is run by German enthusiasts who like to operate classic locomotives. They also claim that there is a practical benefit to using old locomotives for rolling stock delivery, because it avoids embarrassing situations in which new stock is hauled by a locomotive from a rival manufacturer.
I do think that’s only an embarrassing situation if you make it one. It’d be nice to think most major companies weren’t that petty.

XAM2175

Established Member
A quick Google reveals that a Habfis is what we would more commonly know as a Cargowaggon or ferry wagon. Basically a long box wagon with two twin axle bogies. These are often used as translator vehicle on the continent.

TOPS code IWB, I believe.

Rail Blues

They also claim that there is a practical benefit to using old locomotives for rolling stock delivery, because it avoids embarrassing situations in which new stock is hauled by a locomotive from a rival manufacturer.

That seems a bit of a stretch given that the general public will rarely if ever see the delivery of new rolling stock, let alone differentiate between manufacturers. I doubt the train manufacturers care either, I doubt say, Honda or Ford much care that their new cars are delivered on a car transporter that's hauled by a Renault Lorry.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm not sure why we always have to refer to things by their former operator? Might just as well say ex-British Rail/InterCity/Virgin/GNER power cars!

And the numbers are in the article above...
Surely because it helps give a bit of context to the recent history of the locomotives.

Skie

Wonder if they’ll be bidding for the 777 movement contract that was recently listed for tender? Stadler have been using Rail Adventure for the 777 deliveries on the EU side too.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This may be where the Habfis coupling adapter car comes into play. One end having an HST compatible coupler and the other compatible with the unit being moved.

A quick Google reveals that a Habfis is what we would more commonly know as a Cargowaggon or ferry wagon. Basically a long box wagon with two twin axle bogies. These are often used as translator vehicle on the continent.

these vehicles?

Fenny Stratford by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

alexl92

Established Member
I've no objection to the colour scheme, but the application of it - full light grey cab, dark green body - makes the cab look like it's been cut-and-shut on. Doesn't do justice to the lines of the HST in my opinion.

On Moderation

Dunfanaghy Rd

It's just been pointed out to me, in another place, that the EVN markings are incorrect in that GB is the code for 70, not D (which, of course, is 80). I often noted when at work that wagons repainted by Arlington were marked incorrectly in one way or another (usually using styles that had been superseded years previously). Nothing has changed, it seems.
Pat

TRAX

Established Member
It's just been pointed out to me, in another place, that the EVN markings are incorrect in that GB is the code for 70, not D (which, of course, is 80). I often noted when at work that wagons repainted by Arlington were marked incorrectly in one way or another (usually using styles that had been superseded years previously). Nothing has changed, it seems.
Pat

That’s very common, normal even, on the continent, so it’s nothing to worry about and a change isn’t to be expected. You can totally have non-matching country indications.

mpthomson

The article describes the HST power cars as a 'double locomotive', so I take that to mean they will run as back to back pairs. There would still need to be a translator wagon between power car and stock being hauled.
It's quite possible but just to point out that the article has been translated into English with a moderate level of success (you can tell by the sometimes awkward phrasing in English), so it's possible that what they actually mean is different.

XAM2175

Established Member
That’s very common, normal even, on the continent, so it’s nothing to worry about and a change isn’t to be expected. You can totally have non-matching country indications.
Indeed - the country shown in the Vehicle Keeper Marking is the country in which the keeper has its registered place of business, while the country shown in the European Vehicle Number is the country in which the vehicle is registered. Obviously in the majority of cases the two countries will be the same, but it's permissible for them to be different.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Very interesting project. There is of course room in the former brakevan area to install brake translator kit similar to that installed on some of the Europhoenix locos, and probably the capability of fitting the inner ends of the power cars with Dellner Tightlock interchangeable couple heads similar to those 37s and 47s. It all depends what Rail Adventure / H&H / DCR want to spend I guess. The only issue if power cars are intended to top and tail stock will be the lack of a connection with the power cars for multiple of power.

Be interesting to see what else is done to them before they enter service.

ExRes

Established Member
I'm unsure whether this has actually been confirmed as fact yet or is just guesswork

Reported that the first pair of 43s are due out on demonstration and driver training during May or June and the second pair should also be ready at the same time

They will be operated from Willesden TMD and will have DCR drivers until H&H gain an operators licence

As an aside, 50008 should be outshopped in RailAdventure livery by the end of April and 31106 in September

We'll see how accurate this info is over the next few weeks or when an official announcement is made