• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard incorrect form information

Status
Not open for further replies.

belles

I am applying for a mature Railcard, if there was miss information on the form, but all information was there, lets say, just wondering what happens to the form once it is filled in, do the forms get checked by Railcard or the University to see if the information is accurate?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You need to elaborate what sort of misinformation you are talking about before more meaningful answers can be given.

belles

Thank you.

Basically all of it, is any of it checked, checked further than the point of the ticket office.
Followed up Railcard or crossed checked with the Uni?

Thanks

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, they may be.

You only need to be eligible at the time of purchase. Your Railcard remains valid until expiry even if you cease to be a student during its validity, in case you are wondering.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am applying for a mature Railcard, if there was miss information on the form, but all information was there, lets say, just wondering what happens to the form once it is filled in, do the forms get checked by Railcard or the University to see if the information is accurate?

Many thanks

Why would you be concerned about this?

There was a widespread fraud involving mature students in Coventry a few years back. Ever since, more stringent checks have been undertaken.

They will check that you are really a mature student satisfying the attendance criteria.

It's not worth it...

Master29

Established Member
Why would you be concerned about this?

There was a widespread fraud involving mature students in Coventry a few years back. Ever since, more stringent checks have been undertaken.

They will check that you are really a mature student satisfying the attendance criteria.

It's not worth it...

Hm. I agree. Sounds like someone`s testing the water a bit.

shredder1

Established Member
I renewed my senior railcard last year on line and ticked all the boxed for it to carry on after the old one had ran out, when I received the new one there was a month missing, they`d renewed it a month earlier. On principle I mailed them back and told them that it hadnt run on, and they said there was nothing they could do about it and blamed the online system, so I wrote in to them and and receive an apology and a £10 travel voucher for the hassle.

belles

Rest assured I have decided this is a bad idea now, I might enroll in a course, how do they know if you are FT or PT or even check that?

Thanks

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Rest assured I have decided this is a bad idea now, I might enroll in a course, how do they know if you are FT or PT or even check that?

Thanks

Your institution needs to be on the approved list of colleges to start with.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Rest assured I have decided this is a bad idea now, I might enroll in a course

Seems like a time-consuming and expensive way of getting a 34% discount on train fares to me.

I'm glad we dissuaded you from committing blatant fraud, if only by explaining you'd get caught. <(

headshot119

Established Member
Your institution needs to be on the approved list of colleges to start with.

Don't you also have to get the form stamped by the institution ? I seem to remember one of my course mates having to get various bits signed by one of our admin staff.

Agent_c

Seems like a time-consuming and expensive way of getting a 34% discount on train fares to me.

I'm glad we dissuaded you from committing blatant fraud, if only by explaining you'd get caught. <(

Oh well, there's always dressing like Zaphod Breeblebox and claiming that as you have a second head you're entitled to use a 2 together railcard, but only need one ticket as you only need one seat...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There will be checks. As bb21 said, if your course and college is not on the approved list, you will get found out. It's possible that a charge of fraud might follow. I reported such an application myself when I worked in the ticket office, and BTP got involved. The person in question were trying to claim that they were a full time student when they were not.

I'm glad you've decided that this is a bad idea!

MichaelAMW

There will be checks. As bb21 said, if your course and college is not on the approved list, you will get found out. It's possible that a charge of fraud might follow. I reported such an application myself when I worked in the ticket office, and BTP got involved. The person in question were trying to claim that they were a full time student when they were not.

I'm glad you've decided that this is a bad idea!

This list is only a few years old but it seemed to coincide with a general tightening up of student status, particularly where dodgy English-language "colleges" were a route to getting a temporary visa. A chum of mine was doing a full-time degree awarded by a bit of the university of London but delivered through another institution and he lost his otherwise apparently legitimate entitlement to the railcard because that institution wasn't on the list. I tried to help him out as it seemed reasonable that he should have the thing but there was apparently little wriggle room.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh well, there's always dressing like Zaphod Breeblebox and claiming that as you have a second head you're entitled to use a 2 together railcard, but only need one ticket as you only need one seat...

Oi, don't let everyone know about this trick!

Kentish Paul

Many thanks

Excuse my ignorence, but what is a mature railcard?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
This list is only a few years old but it seemed to coincide with a general tightening up of student status, particularly where dodgy English-language "colleges" were a route to getting a temporary visa. A chum of mine was doing a full-time degree awarded by a bit of the university of London but delivered through another institution and he lost his otherwise apparently legitimate entitlement to the railcard because that institution wasn't on the list. I tried to help him out as it seemed reasonable that he should have the thing but there was apparently little wriggle room.

There was no list in my day, you are quite correct about that. I knew myself, though, that the 'educational establishment' in question did not offer the type of full time courses that were needed to be eligible for a railcard.

If I remember rightly, that particular college was helping it's students gain financial advantages in a number of ways, despite being involved in distance learning with only very occasional attendances at their somewhat limited premises. I believe they closed down shortly after being investigated by the authorities. I don't recall if any further action was ever taken against them or their proprietors.

najaB

Veteran Member
16-25 Railcards are also available to qualifying mature students :smile:
To quote from the railcard website:
A mature student?

To be eligible as a mature student and buy a 1-year Railcard, you will need:
  • To be attending a recognised college or university, for over 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year. Unfortunately, Open University, distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify.
  • To have the mature student section of the 16-25 Railcard application form completed by your College or University.
  • Have an NUS card or College/University photocard as proof of identity.

philthetube

Established Member
To quote from the railcard website:

A mature student?

To be eligible as a mature student and buy a 1-year Railcard, you will need:
To be attending a recognised college or university, for over 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year. Unfortunately, Open University, distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify.
To have the mature student section of the 16-25 Railcard application form completed by your College or University.
Have an NUS card or College/University photocard as proof of identity.

If they thought it was unfortunate they would change it, this is not to say they should.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
When I was a mature student there was no requirement for a photocard from either the NUS or the educational establishment. It was the same when I was issuing them a few years later, so things have definitely become much tighter.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ok fine. What does it say on the card? 16-25 or mature?
Issued exactly the same as a 16-25, however I believe in place of a date of birth on the photo card the words "Mature Student", or words to that effect, are written.

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.