• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rails Of Sheffield no longer trading with Hornby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
From
:
We regret to inform you that after over 35 years of trading with Hornby, with immediate effect, we are unable to fulfill any orders for forthcoming release or out of stock Hornby products.
Therefore, over the coming days, we will be cancelling pre-orders and informing customers personally. We apologise unreservedly for the inconvenience that this will cause. We would like to make it clear that this only affects Hornby products that are on pre-order or [are] out of stock. All our other extensive range of brands are unaffected.

Please note that I've transcribed the above statement from the linked YouTube video so it may not be perfect. Watch the video for more information.

Rails Of Sheffield are no longer trading with Hornby. I don't think anyone apart from those at Rails or Hornby know the full details so speculation is pointless at this stage - Jenny Kirk says in the YouTube video above that Rails are not in trouble at this time (to her knowledge).

Just thought I'd share this as it may affect some people. It will affect all of those wishing to buy Hornby products from Rails in the future so I'd say get your orders in for Hornby products on there now because when they're gone, they're gone!

-Peter

EDIT: Statement also available from https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3528-important-statement

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was this not to do with Rails commissioning their own models? There was a documentary series on the recent trials that Hornby had faced, and I recall that there was one particular model that both were working on, but one organisation got there first and royally hacked the other one off.

TheEdge

Established Member
Was this not to do with Rails commissioning their own models? There was a documentary series on the recent trials that Hornby had faced, and I recall that there was one particular model that both were working on, but one organisation got there first and royally hacked the other one off.

Something along those lines if I remember rightly. Maybe a Terrier? Combined with Bachmann refusing the trade with Hattons it feels like the manufacturers are starting to get short with retailers producing their own models but still trying to get wholesale prices for box shifting.

Peter C

Established Member
Something along those lines if I remember rightly. Maybe a Terrier? Combined with Bachmann refusing the trade with Hattons it feels like the manufacturers are starting to get short with retailers producing their own models but still trying to get wholesale prices for box shifting.
It was the Terrier IIRC. To be honest in my opinion the whole model world is full of manufacturers making duplicate models of classes others have done but that's a topic for another thread :D

-Peter

Last edited:

cbrianc1962

I doubt it is the Terrier. Hornby announced their Terrier more than 18 months ago. Hornby didn't stop trading with Rails because they also made a Terrier and Rails didn't stop trading with Hornby at that time. I don't know why Hornby would stop trading with one of its biggest customers, so I tend to think it was a Rails of Sheffield decision. It may have to do with the cancelling of orders for the centenary Tinplate.

Peter C

Established Member
I don't think anyone apart from those involved fully understand what's going on. There's no point speculating at this point in time - we'll probably find out what's gone on in due course.

-Peter

Peter Kelford

I would guess it was that blue Liverpool and Manchester coach that Rails started releasing which Hornby significantly undercut which was perhaps the final issue?

reddragon

Established Member
Its a pity that they are fighting over making models that I don't want when there are many I do want that are out of stock or not made that I do want.

Ridiculous that I can't get HSTs, class 800/802s, class 165/166, S-stock or many new units - class 185, 700, 378, Aventura, 755, Electrostars, new TP or Northern trains etc

Not all modellers want very old stuff, as seen by very high prices of the modern scene second hand market. Come on , 30 year old Lima modern wagons going for £20-30 each!

Peter Kelford

Ridiculous that I can't get HSTs, class 800/802s, class 165/166, S-stock or many new units - class 185, 700, 378, Aventura, 755, Electrostars, new TP or Northern trains etc
I'd agree in principle here, and frankly some huge series like the Electrostars, 190s etc are unproduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.