• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No refreshments today at Edinburgh as reported by my sister - and only the disabled loo in use.

Apparently they're only able to provide any refreshments with a permanent staff presence which they're unable to guarantee.

from LNER on Twitter said:
We are unable to provide refreshments in the First Class Lounge at Edinburgh under local restrictions without a continual staff presence which unfortunately isn't currently possible

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Has anyone been in an Avanti Lounge recently ?

I just wondered if Standard Premium has made them quieter places bereft of freeloading Advance 1st Class clientele like myself ?

Have there been any improvements as part of the new 1st Class package ?

Megabus

Paddington first class lounge now (from a quick passing peer through the window on Wednesday) offers a full range of hot and cold drinks. Unclear what if any snacks are available.
Just biscuits yesterday (Sunday) morning.

furgus2

I was on the Euston lounge at lunchtime today for the first time in a year or so and, in my opinion, is a much nicer atmosphere than it used to be. Once admitted, you wait to be seated and then it’s an at seat service with a range of snacks and drinks available. Alcoholic drinks are still chargeable. I had mini scones with jam and cream which was very pleasant. There were a steady stream of people coming in but much quieter than it used to be.

raveon

The FC lounge at Runcorn is no more (looking through the window, it looks like it is being refurbished as a standard waiting room). Another retrograde step from Avanti.

Vespa

Established Member
The FC lounge at Runcorn is no more (looking through the window, it looks like it is being refurbished as a standard waiting room). Another retrograde step from Avanti.
Quelle suprise ! ...Avanti seemed determined to get rid of 1st Class by reducing the facilities.

Vespa

Established Member
...and Virgin didn't? How many first-class lounges did they close?
I don't know as I never travelled first class regularly with them until 2 years before Virgin lost their franchise so cannot compare.

Can you or you're just being a contrarian ?

I will say one thing, Virgin First Class experience is way better than Avanti.

vlad

I'm not being deliberately awkward - I'm just saying that a lot of people in this forum seem to be looking at Virgin through rose-tinted spectacles.

I can think of at least two first-class lounges they closed - Stoke and Coventry - and people were saying here that Runcorn wouldn't last much longer.

Regarding the on-board experience, if you ignore the rolling stock, which hasn't changed, the VT first-class experience wasn't anything to write home about. If you went for the full meal in the evening then the portions weren't particularly big - and the dessert was served in a pot you couldn't actually fit a dessert spoon in. During the day they didn't do hot food. I think the absolute worst was the time they choices were a half-inch diameter pork pie and some leaves or some carrot sticks and hummus. I saw someone complain on Twitter about that so it can't just have been a bad experience

Anyway - I recognise people's love of Virgin Trains so I'll keep silent now. I've got into arguments on this forum about GNER customer service before and don't want to start all that again.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Regarding the on-board experience, if you ignore the rolling stock, which hasn't changed, the VT first-class experience wasn't anything to write home about. If you went for the full meal in the evening then the portions weren't particularly big - and the dessert was served in a pot you couldn't actually fit a dessert spoon in. During the day they didn't do hot food. I think the absolute worst was the time they choices were a half-inch diameter pork pie and some leaves or some carrot sticks and hummus. I saw someone complain on Twitter about that so it can't just have been a bad experience
I quite agree with your analysis. All the inevitable by products of making the stuff (theoretically) "free" IMHO. A shame.

But I do think Std Premium from Avanti is good value - other TOCs could, I think, increase 1st class seating use by offering their equivalent daily (instead of just w/e 1st).

Howardh

Established Member
I don't know as I never travelled first class regularly with them until 2 years before Virgin lost their franchise so cannot compare.

I will say one thing, Virgin First Class experience is way better than Avanti.
Agree 100%. Said all along first class just seems to be getting in Avanti's way. Admittedly I only used them when services were limited due to covid, but even so the experience drove me back to standard class. I do miss Virgin, travelling with them was fun first or second class, even when delayed!

Vespa

Established Member
Agree 100%. Said all along first class just seems to be getting in Avanti's way. Admittedly I only used them when services were limited due to covid, but even so the experience drove me back to standard class. I do miss Virgin, travelling with them was fun first or second class, even when delayed!
I have found Virgin First Class to be friendlier, lounge access no problem, a second or third coffee no problem another bottle of beer ? Yes please.

Avanti getting another coffee or beer is like pulling teeth, lounge access is like crossing the Iron Curtain, I don't feel any joy with Avanti, I just feel like I'm being ripped off for a sub standard service with a grimace.

Howardh

Established Member
I have found Virgin First Class to be friendlier, lounge access no problem, a second or third coffee no problem another bottle of beer ? Yes please.

Avanti getting another coffee or beer is like pulling teeth, lounge access is like crossing the Iron Curtain, I don't feel any joy with Avanti, I just feel like I'm being ripped off for a sub standard service with a grimace.
My experience too. Euston - Manchester, got a glass of wine just around Watford (that's OK). The second one arrived just after Stoke, hardly time to finish (I don't gulp wine down...not unless I really have to!!). On many a late-night Virgin trains with just a few in first class they came round with a third..fourth drink...unasked for...!!

Also throughout Avanti they don't serve ice. Dunno if that's a covid thing/excuse, but if you get a soft drink from the cabinet (at a high price, I might add) it's usually luke-warm in my experience, and needs ice. A remarkable omission, even Ryanair will serve you ice...for free!!

Voyager lad

I’ve had very similar experiences with Avanti too. Tried the Euston lounge for the first time a couple of weeks ago - after a security like ticket inspection, I was told to wait to be seated (even though the lounge was empty). A lady then eventually shouted from somewhere “table for one” before awkwardly pointing me to a table right in the middle. To cut a long story short, the service was poor. And the lounge staff seemed highly frazzled by any order, as if it was a Michelin Star Restaurant.

With tickets costing so much, the lounge should be a relaxing start to the journey. But if anything, I just felt unwelcome and picked up on the tension between staff. Wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Under Virgin I used lounges in Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham and Crewe, almost always feeling highly welcome!

backontrack

Established Member
I'm travelling London to Edinburgh in LNER First Class in January. I'll nip into the lounge at King's Cross, and likely not nip into the lounge at Edinburgh. (I mean, I'd like to - but it'd probably just be shut. And empty.)

Also throughout Avanti they don't serve ice. Dunno if that's a covid thing/excuse, but if you get a soft drink from the cabinet (at a high price, I might add) it's usually luke-warm in my experience, and needs ice. A remarkable omission, even Ryanair will serve you ice...for free!!
I mean to be fair, Ryanair serve you ice so that they can give you less soft drink. :lol:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
and Virgin didn't? How many first-class lounges did they close?

Virgin Trains during their tenure shut the FC lounges at Stoke, Wolverhampton and Coventry.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’ve only used the Euston lounge once and I’ve always hated it. I find First Class lounges better as it’s a quieter space to wait. The Euston lounge is always extremely busy and extremely noisy.

There were hardly any snacks either which was a shame. This was January 2020. The service on both trains to/from Euston was subpar with the crews not even being friendly or warm, just asking what you wanted and that was it.

Granted it was a Euston to Birmingham service but still… good customer service costs nothing.

On the contrary, I enjoyed the lounge at Birmingham New Street. Quiet and helpful staff on hand.

Vespa

Established Member
In Manchester airport there were a few non airline tied independent lounges that you can pay for online, to date you can't pay at the door, you have the use of the lounge, unlimited drinks and food, reading materials and of course the usual quiet lounge style furnishings.

If such an independent lounge can be set up for Euston and other major railway station, I would visit it as prices for Avanti first class is too much for what you get and having to fight to gain access to the lounge only to be met by a lacklustre service, fighting to get 2nd helping of coffee.
You're paying Harrods price for a Primark service.

If the independent lounge within Euston can offer superior service and facilities I would be happy to pay for it.

Birkonian

Can I use the Avanti 1st class lounge at Euston after my journey? It used to be the case with Virgin.
I'm on the 11:47 from Lime Street. The 1st class lounge at Liverpool is closed and there is no 1st class catering on the train

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I use the Avanti 1st class lounge at Euston after my journey? It used to be the case with Virgin.
I was turned away around a month in the early afternoon after arriving at Euston. To be fair they did let me in to use the toilet (which was all I was after) but was initially told that they didn't offer it anymore.

Vespa

Established Member
I was turned away around a month in the early afternoon after arriving at Euston. To be fair they did let me in to use the toilet (which was all I was after) but was initially told that they didn't offer it anymore.
I had that experience when I arrived in Euston and I forcefully argued my point that I'm entitled to a first class service as I paid for it and I insisted on it, eventually I was let in.

It never used to be a problem either under Virgin or initially when Avanti took over, since Covid they jacked up the prices and reduce the offerings.

Since then I stopped using first class as I refused to be ripped off with overpriced poor service, went either Standard Premium or LNWR which isn't too bad for the price.

Birkonian

In other words you have received the Standard Premium service, at twice the price.
Exactly. Couldn't get to the toilets because of people sitting on the floor - huge queue anyway. At Euston I asked an Avanti employee on the concourse. He said he'd phone the 1st class lounge to let me in. No answer so he have me his name and to me to say that he sent me. Receptionist wasn't I pressed and sad that he shouldn't have done that. Was very grudgingly allowed in for 30 mins. Had no intention of staying that long anyway.

BJames

Established Member
Are EMR planning on reopening the St Pancras lounge at all? I don't travel first class that often but I arrived quite early for my train today and it would have been nice - especially considering LNER over the road have theirs

All Line Rover

Established Member
Exactly. Couldn't get to the toilets because of people sitting on the floor - huge queue anyway. At Euston I asked an Avanti employee on the concourse. He said he'd phone the 1st class lounge to let me in. No answer so he have me his name and to me to say that he sent me. Receptionist wasn't I pressed and sad that he shouldn't have done that. Was very grudgingly allowed in for 30 mins. Had no intention of staying that long anyway.

Pathetic.

The opening hours of the Liverpool and Crewe lounges have been compressed. They used to open around 5am, now they open at 7:30am - after all the morning business departures to Euston! They used to close at 7pm/8pm, now 6pm. The one time I decided to buy a first open ticket for the busiest morning departure, I ended up sat trying to balance a laptop in Upper Crust. Ever so premium. Another time I tried to use the Crewe lounge and it was closed because of "staff shortages". Why!? It's unstaffed!

Also re Crewe, it was brought to my attention that Avanti is trying to prevent XC and LNR first class ticket holders from using the facility despite this being the one lounge on the WCML whose construction was funded by the local business development authority, not Virgin Trains. Unacceptable behaviour, but not particularly annoying considering the lounge never seems to be open nowadays.

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
(..)

Also re Crewe, it was brought to my attention that Avanti is trying to prevent XC and LNR first class ticket holders from using the facility despite this being the one lounge on the WCML whose construction was funded by the local business development authority, not Virgin Trains. Unacceptable behaviour, but not particularly annoying considering the lounge never seems to be open nowadays.
I'm not defending Avanti, but...

The Manchester Piccadilly lounge was also West Coast passengers only, and if you had an ambiguous ticket (i.e. you could be travelling on a XC or WC train) the staff asked which service you were going to use.

When I asked why I was told that XC had refused to contribute to the running costs. In the case of Crewe the construction may have been paid for by a local organisation but presumably the day to day costs of staffing and snacks/drinks are paid for by West Coast. However, I may be wrong and the b.d.a. stumps up an ongoing payment.

Trackman

Established Member
Don't know if it's a covid thing, like only a hour before departure now (was it 2 before?), but they are hoping to bring back the lounge service back at Euston for arrivals 'soon'. .. so they say.