• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Forums donation to 125 Group

theblackwatch

Established Member
After our busiest and most successful year to date which has seen us generate an operating surplus again, the forum staff are delighted to announce that we have been in a position to make a donation £4,100.01 towards the 125 Group's HST Depot Appeal. The full press release, issued by the 125 Group today, reads:

125 Group’s Depot appeal has been given a huge boost after a receiving a sizeable donation from an online railway forum. RailUK Forums has agreed to donate £4,100.01, bringing the total raised to £78,142.96, over ¾ of the way towards the target of £100,000.

125 Group, the High Speed Train preservation society and registered charity based at Great Central Railway (Nottingham), requires £100,000 for the development which will protect its InterCity 125 HST rolling stock from the ravages of the English weather.

RailUK Forums – www.railforums.co.uk – was founded in 2005 and has grown to be one of the largest internet railway forums in the country, members discuss on-line a wide spectrum of interests relating to railways as well as other forms of transport.

Since its introduction over 40 years ago, the InterCity 125 has been popular with enthusiasts, passengers and railway staff alike and is a frequent topic of conversation. With some of the fleet now destined for withdrawal, interest in HSTs has grown further, also helped by the work of 125 Group restoring Mk3 coaches and the National Railway Museum’s prototype power car 41001 to working order.

With the prospect of production power cars becoming surplus and available for preservation in the near future, 125 Group launched its HST Depot Appeal in June with the objective of constructing a small depot facility at its Ruddington base at Great Central Railway (Nottingham), where necessary maintenance and restoration work of these important vehicles and its existing fleet can be made under cover.

RailUK Forums spokesman Mike Wooldridge said “After our busiest and most successful year to date, we are delighted to be able to assist 125 Group by donating our surplus advertising revenue towards the group’s HST Depot Appeal. The InterCity 125 has an important place in railway history, and these trains are a favourite among many of our members. The new depot will provide a facility that will help ensure that people are able to experience the sight and sound of an HST for many years to come.”

Gary Heelas, Chairman of 125 Group Limited said “It is great to see such an active forum organised such that money is raised by members simply using it. 125 Group is very honoured to have been chosen by RailUK Forums and this gives our HST Depot Appeal yet another massive boost.”

Weblinks:
125 Group - https://www.125group.org.uk/
Press release - https://www.125group.org.uk/railuk-forums-boosts-hst-depot-appeal/
Depot Appeal - https://www.125group.org.uk/depot/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
A fantastic gesture and made to a fantastic cause. The HST has been an integral part of the railways for many years and it is very important that groups such as the 125 Group are supported in their quest to ensure these beasts are never forgotten.

Well done to all involved in making this donation

big all

On Moderation
no other traction can boast as being in wide spread front line service for most or all off the life off a rail uk forum member;)
but as said nice touch:D

Last edited:

On Moderation
Absolutely splendid!
:D:D:D

Been a great couple of months for this appeal with both this fabulous donation and the profits from the BLS/East Midlands Trains "Screaming Valentas" tour.

CC 72100

Established Member
Indeed excellent news - a very worthy cause amongst many enthusiasts, and encouraging to see that the forum was/is in such a position to do so.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A very worthy cause that should hopefully enable us to travel on these superb trains long after they pass from main line service :)

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent news.

And very well done for generating such a surplus in the first place.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks all for the feedback.

Years ago I never would have imagined that we could be in a position to do something like this, but here we are :) it's thanks to everyone for all their contributions that this has been achieved.
That's brilliant, what a wonderful thing to be able to do. I am curious about the .01p though! :lol:
It's to get as close as possible to the number 41001
https://www.125group.org.uk/our-fleet/41001-prototype-hst-powercar/
In 2011 The 125 Group under the Project Miller banner became custodians of 41001 taking it on a long term loan from the NRM with the view of restoring the vehicle to an operational condition.
:)

krus_aragon

Established Member
That's brilliant, what a wonderful thing to be able to do. I am curious about the .01p though! :lol:
Might it be the result of rounding up some tax-deduction-style calculation (e.g. giftaid)? Or perhaps one of the administrators found it down the back of the sofa...

NORMAN471

Might it be the result of rounding up some tax-deduction-style calculation (e.g. giftaid)? Or perhaps one of the administrators found it down the back of the sofa...
or maybe even under the seat of a MK3 HST carriage.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Might it be the result of rounding up some tax-deduction-style calculation (e.g. giftaid)?

Unfortunately gift aiding our donation was not possible. However, if any members would like to make a donation to the appeal themselves and are UK taxpayers, this should be possible and I am sure the 125 Group would be most pleased to hear from you. :)

big all

On Moderation
Thanks all for the feedback.

Years ago I never would have imagined that we could be in a position to do something like this, but here we are :) it's thanks to everyone for all their contributions that this has been achieved.

It's to get as close as possible to the number 41001
https://www.125group.org.uk/our-fleet/41001-prototype-hst-powercar/

:)
absolutey brilliant
a sense off humor and a sense off purpose
initially lost on me but as someone who saw the prototype in waverly with the inspector on a milk /beer or irn bru crate siting behind the driver as a seat its magic lol

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
Where's the Like button? ;)
The like button is never going to be enabled; it's just always going to be a running thing on here :D

But yeah, where's the like button...? I have some real respect for this forum now this very generous donation has been made!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was either a donation to the 125 Group or a like button we couldn't stretch to both :lol:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Unfortunately gift aiding our donation was not possible. However, if any members would like to make a donation to the appeal themselves and are UK taxpayers, this should be possible and I am sure the 125 Group would be most pleased to hear from you. :)
I suspected that was the case, but I hadn't spotted the reference to 41001.

judethegreat

Excellent :)

Forgive my ignorance, but how was this money raised - donations from members, advertising, or what?

nat67

Established Member
Absolutely brilliant guys. I love the HST so much and I cant wait to see what happens over the next year or so.

theblackwatch

Established Member
And if anyone is desperate to use a like button, we have posted about the donation on our Facebook page... :p

big all

On Moderation
as i don't do face book can i please have a thanks button :D
just out off curiosity what is the reason for avoiding a thanks button :D