• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway books discussion

LUYMun

I've read London's Overground by John Glover a short while ago before discovering this thread. A lovely read, giving an intriguing insight into the planning and operations of a joined-up suburban network, even if the book is a decade old, with much progress occurring since then. Still, gives plenty of food for thought when looking at the bigger railway network as a whole.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
There recently came my way by chance in a charity shop -- price there, of a very few pounds -- Peter Johnson's Illustrated History of the Welsh Highland Railway, published 2002 and with data re the revived WHR, as at that date. A bargain -- and containing some mouth-watering photographs -- which I, a lover of the Welsh narrow gauge, could hardly do other than snap up. Will admit, though, that there are factors to make unlikely my having purchased this work, for anything exceeding the charity-shop knock-down price.

I'm not over-keen on the works of this author, Peter Johnson -- re which matter, have "discoursed" previously on these Forums -- am aware that there are posters here, who have a high opinion of his writings. For me, he has something of a "reverse Midas touch" -- find that he can make the most interesting and appealing material, dull. I do realise that some of this view of him on my part, is unfair to him -- coloured by slightly odd associations from times past. I've reminisced on this site, on past occasions -- possibly ad taedium -- about the quarterly, issued to Ffestiniog Railway Society members, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine during the period of a couple of decades in the later parts of the 20th century, in which it was edited by Dan Wilson with the assistance of Norman Gurley. This pair of talented and fanciful wordsmiths produced a magazine which was in my view, far more witty, quirky and entertaining -- sometimes provocative -- than the rather stodgy general run of rail-preservation-society "mags" (no "rubbishing" of these journals, intended -- in the main, the preservation movement is what those who write these, are "about": they neither possess, not lay claim to, a high degree of literary talent. Wilson and Gurley were decidedly rare birds.).

Not every reader was always or invariably delighted by the output of this duo: there were sentiments at times, of annoyance at their perceived using of their writing in the Magazine to behave like self-indulgent, precious clever-dicks; rather than carrying out preferable straightforward recounting and expounding of what was actually going on on the railway. There came a time when "higher authority" deemed Wilson to have pushed supposed humour too far, getting into the realm of libel: politicking and pretexts suspected here -- but result was, it was seen as necessary for Wilson and his "sidekick" to resign from the editorship; which duly happened. The editorial position was taken over by Peter Johnson: a perfectly literate and competent writer, but in comparison with his predecessors -- who were indeed a hard act to follow -- a drab and unimaginative one: the Magazine was never, for me, anything like as much fun again. Additionally -- perhaps unfairly -- I had from the first an inkling that Johnson had ambitions re becoming a successful railway author: he was no doubt a genuine enthusiast for the FR; but, perhaps more than this, using his editorship as a step upwards toward ambition-achieving. My sentiments here, along the lines of "seek another calling, chum -- you're essentially not cut out to accomplish great things in this one".

Having read or at least dipped into, this author's books on the history of the Ffestiniog Railway; now likewise, concerning his on the Welsh Highland; I find his "product", fundamentally dull and non-enthusing. This is possibly an indictment of me rather than him; could be that I'm a mental lightweight, wishing for pre-digested whimsical and sentimental froth, rather than gritty factual "how things came about" history. However -- the North Wales Narrow Gauge / Welsh Highland: one of the most classic cases of narrow-gauge romantic and delectable hopelessness; story thereof in Johnson's hands, comes to feature in my view, many pages concerning voluminously detailed legal / financial / proprietorial / "prospectual" doings: more of this, than of anything else (and dull-ly and ploddingly recounted). Of course, "Acts of Parliament" or equivalent, for governmental assent, are an important part of railway history; but there are other, less "heavy", aspects of the subject -- it's legitimate to beseech mercy on those such as myself, juvenile train-spotters who never grew up... Even such matters as the line's motive power and rolling stock -- generally considered to be of importance and significance in railway history -- would seem to take second place in the book, to the super-heavily-dwelt-on "admin stuff". Concerning motive power -- I get the paranoid feeling that Johnson has it in for me: anything that I like, he minimises, and vice versa. I am rather highly taken with the phenomenon of "two-foot-gauge" US-built steam locos for World War I Western Front service, ending up post-war on assorted British lines of that gauge -- one such having been the Welsh Highland's Baldwin 4-6-0T No. 590: a prominent participant in service on the line, told of in lively fashion in that capacity, by many who experienced the WHR in its brief inter-World-Wars lifetime, and featuring in many photographs from that era. Johnson dismisses this loco, summarily and seemingly with contempt, in a brief paragraph.

As mentioned earlier: the book -- however lacking I may find it textually -- contains many fascinating photographs taken during -- and, in disuse, after -- the working careers of the NWNGR and WHR. A few of these pictures, "classics" already familiar from other works; more, highly-interestingly new to me. Again as mentioned -- there is some dealing with the railway's renaissance, re so far as it had come about as at 2002.

I am, likely, cruelly hard on poor Mr. Johnson -- my prejudice against him is so great, that I should probably refrain from commenting on anything written by him.
Still -- as mentioned above, he has his devotees; and I doubt whether my maunderings will dissuade many people who might feel an interest in his Welsh Highland book, from following that interest up.

Calthrop

Established Member
Always useful to know which author(s) to steer clear of.
The late Robert Adley was always on my "nuke-'im-from-orbit" list -- always suspected his claimed railway enthusiasm (with ghastly books focusing on same) was bogus: assumed, in an effort to make political capital for his hyper-ambitious-and-egotistical self.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Indeed. Sometimes wonder which railway book titles were "commercially" produced, and which are essentially "vanity press" / self published and perhaps best avoided.

With Christmas coming up soon, there are potentially a lot of 'turkeys' out there!

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed. Sometimes wonder which railway book titles were "commercially" produced, and which are essentially "vanity press" / self published and perhaps best avoided.

With Christmas coming up soon, there are potentially a lot of 'turkeys' out there!
Paradoxically -- I sometimes (at the risk of being guilty of snobbery and elitism) wonder whether some of the commercially-produced wares are garbage, and in private acknowledged as such by the publishers: just, can be relied on to sell to the less-knowledgeable-and-discerning, and flush-with-cash, railfan hordes. Mind goes to something read many years ago -- a comment on dubiously-accurate stuff published, for the "popular" audience, about gangster doings in the Prohibition-era USA: words to the approximate effect of "maybe the target readership resembles the railway enthusiasts, Civil War buffs, and other gentle maniacs; in that they're not really bothered about what an author actually says, so long as he just mentions [various luminaries on that particular criminal scene]". "Gentle maniacs" seems a bit harsh; but I have to feel that the comment is, to some extent, "on the money" -- many in our "fancy", are fairly undiscriminating in that way. Perhaps some of the "vanity / self-published" material, is actually among what is worthwhile -- well-researched and -documented labours of love, about stuff too arcane to have any chance of being bought by tens of thousands of "punters"?

For me, he has something of a "reverse Midas touch" -- find that he can make the most interesting and appealing material, dull.

That could almost be me! While I seem to have a knack for researching material, I'm quite willing to admit that I simply can't compose articles that make for interesting reading. Perhaps too much research by me in Victorian newspapers has partly contributed to this.

On the subject of charity shop finds, in Grange-over-Sands earlier this month, I found 'The Day The Trains Came' by Helen J. Simpson, a short history of early Herefordshire railways, for £1. Another recent charity shop find was a DVD for 50p, 'The Cumbrian Coast: Driver's eye view.'

shredder1

Established Member
Just reading these volumes at the moment, some very good reading,

South Wales Valleys, Railways and Industry on the Brecon & Merthyr, Bassaleg to Bargoed and New Tredegar/Rhymney B&M, Volume 1, (2022), John Hodge & Ray Caston, Pen and Sword.

South Wales Valleys, Railways and Industry on the Brecon & Merthyr, Bargoed to Ponsticill Junction, Pant to Dowlais Central, Volume 2, (2022), John Hodge & Ray Caston, Pen and Sword.

South Wales Valleys, Railways and Industry on the Brecon & Merthyr, Merthyr-Ponsicill Junction-Brecon, Volume 3, (2023), John Hodge & Ray Caston, Pen and Sword.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm not over-keen on the works of this author, Peter Johnson -- re which matter, have "discoursed" previously on these Forums -- am aware that there are posters here, who have a high opinion of his writings. For me, he has something of a "reverse Midas touch" -- find that he can make the most interesting and appealing material, dull. I do realise that some of this view of him on my part, is unfair to him -- coloured by slightly odd associations from times past.

I am, likely, cruelly hard on poor Mr. Johnson -- my prejudice against him is so great, that I should probably refrain from commenting on anything written by him.
Better abstain -- as per my post, I have a greater "down" on the poor so-and-so, than he probably rationally deserves.
As quoted above from self, re posts a little upthread: my conscience sometimes smites me as regards my strong, and not really fair, aversion to this hapless guy's writing. However, I feel it, and it's not easy for me to "un-feel". The latest issue of the Colonel Stephens Society's quarterly journal, mentions a new book, publication due early next year: The Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway -- The rise and fall of a rural byway: by Peter Johnson. Although I'm fascinated by the wonderfully crazy S & M Lt. Ry. -- this is one book about it, which I will not be seeking to acquire.

izvor

I've only read two books by Bryan Morgan but The End of the Line (1955) is probably my favourite railway book of all time: his wanderings along minor railways around France, Italy and Germany are wonderfully portrayed in prose that is evocative and almost haunting.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I’ve been looking for books about the South Wales mainline principally from Severn Tunnel Junction to Cardiff Central. I have the Middleton Press books but am looking for something a bit more in-depth. Are the John Hodge books any good? I seem to remember there were plenty of pictures of trains but not much about the signalling or infrastructure that I am interested in.

Calthrop

Established Member
I've only read two books by Bryan Morgan but The End of the Line (1955) is probably my favourite railway book of all time: his wanderings along minor railways around France, Italy and Germany are wonderfully portrayed in prose that is evocative and almost haunting.
Heartfelt agreement -- The End... , very definitely my favourite railway book. (I've made over the years on these Forums, numerous highly-approving posts concerning it, and Bryan Morgan's literary talent.) I find him truly a poet in prose; and with a marvellously impish sense of humour, and a keen (benign) eye for the weird and ridiculous. In TEOTL, I also find his writing at times poignant enough almost, for me, to bring tears to the eyes; when matters of one-time copious light-railway delights, now vanished, are involved. This is the case for me in the book, above all in his chapter on France -- a country which he, in numerous aspects (not just trains !) plainly loves most dearly: he laments the circumstance of how, well under a generation before his travels in the first half of the 1950s, minor railways had been open and running nationwide; at a far, far greater extent than had become the case by the time he got there. (And at the present day, there remains active in any way or shape: I would guess something under 10% of that which Morgan put on his list as at his 1955 publication -- and being realistic, we're lucky to have even that much.)

As well as the countries which you mention, TEOTL has chapters on Switzerland, Austria, and the Low Countries -- in this last, only a very few "rags and tatters" seen by Morgan in his terms, as worthwhile survivors in '55. For me: while the author's style is irresistible, the subject-matter of some countries / chapters has more appeal than others. A bit of a tendency for me to relish more, scenes which he covers where minor railways were "up against it", hence poignancy and regret; than those where they were still, relatively, flourishing. The latter description applies particularly, re the book, to Italy and Switzerland: neither of which countries, or their railways, appeal greatly to me (never visited either -- in the unlikely event of my doing so, I don't totally rule out being happily surprised). Just my personal "take" -- other readers may well feel otherwise.

Is it all right for me to ask which is the other book by Morgan, that you've read? I have read two -- perhaps three (this may seem a bit foolish, but thus it is) others by him -- one, I loved; the other for-sure one (one of his novels) was for me, to tell the truth, a bit "meh".

izvor

I did search this thread for a mention of TEOTL specifically, but found nothing (despite your and others' frequent mention of the author) which is why I decided to post. Sadly I've not opened the book for many years so I really must revisit it. I found it by chance in a second-hand bookshop and, decades ago I read it cover to cover at least twice, plus dipping into the (many) juicy bits many more times. So serendipitous. I agree with most of your comments, especially on France, and as you say, there must be only a couple of lines remaining there that come anywhere near evoking the atmosphere of those earlier days. (The Blanc-Argent probably comes nearest and is still going). His description of Perugia is another memorable passage for me, though I have never managed to get there myself. There are still railway byways in Italy that come close, on Sardinia for example, and I really would recommend a visit! Switzerland is more "efficient" (for better and worse) than the wonderful (and sometimes infuriatingly) ramshackle ways of Italy but, in my view, is well worth a visit for its fine array of minor railways, but I guess if BM has not tempted you to visit then I am unlikely to do so! I do prefer the Suisse Romande (French speaking zone) which somehow seems more relaxed than the rest of the country. And the scenery is quite good too…

I think the other book by BM that I have read is called "Early Railways" or similar but I am not at home at present so cannot confirm. I think it is a large format book – must try and locate it. Not touched the novel. Talking of which, the late, great John Snell (who you also reference above in reference to Mixed Gauges) wrote a railway-based novel, have you read and is it any good?

Calthrop

Established Member
I made a bit of a mention of Morgan / End of... in post #171 of this thread -- allusion prompted by the post's essential subject, The Trains Now Departed by Michael Williams; my other, rather numerous, mentions of the guy and the book have been mostly elsewhere than "M,M & P". Italy and Switzerland: as mentioned, I try to keep an open mind to counter my instinctive prejudices. In part, my feelings about Italy stem from a natural contrariness -- anything or any place which the switched-on people, in the main, rave about; I tend to experience an automatic distaste for. (Much about Italy's railways indeed seen as potentially appealing; but at second-hand, the way things are, they largely fail to do much for me.) With Switzerland, I find myself among the many people whose sentiments -- again second-hand -- are re the country's (including its railways) seeming extremely spectacular; but otherwise, very much on the dull side. As ever, I recognise possibility of changing of mind, were I to find myself there.

The Bryan Morgan book which I may have read, but am not certain: I suspect was, as with you -- title for it that I find from the Net, is Railway Relics. I found it readable, but not an outstanding work: that "take" backed up by my remembering only one thing from it -- the author's drawing a jocular parallel between Brunel's 7ft. gauge, and the biblical "broad road which leadeth to destruction". Of the others by him "under my belt" -- one is Fastness of France (a delight for me): in very much the same authorial tenor as The End of the Line, and in the same quirky format as that book; not, however, a railway book as such (though rail-related material repeatedly creeps in), but a historical / social / geographical in-depth coverage, done with much love, of the Massif Central area of that country.

And his novel which I've tried, The Business at Blanche Capel: a mystery / detective tale, as were -- I gather -- his various fiction works. Ably written, and with a pleasing "period" (1950s) feel; but it didn't engage much enthusiasm on my part -- don't actually remember for sure, whether I managed to finish it. This one's writing had for me, only the faintest suggestion of the magic of Morgan's best, in my experience, non-fiction "product". This lukewarm reaction probably contributed to by my not being -- save with a very few authors -- much of a fan of detective / whodunit fiction; my feeling thus, in part, from a perception that far too much of such, is published: plot-wise, an easy and undemanding fall-back for authors, plus the truism of Sturgeon's Law -- "90% of everything, is c**p".

Snell's novel, Jennie (the bearer of that name being a locomotive with a very rare and unusual, valve-gear / motion if I recall correctly) I have read -- know that I'm hard to please, but reckoned it a good enough read, but in all respects a very considerable way short of a work of genius (and he wrote it as a very young man). The narrative of the working life of a Welsh narrow-gauge railway, imagined by the author; and the several generations of a family who were workers on the railway through its life. In his fiction here, Snell presents to the north-eastern part of the Principality, on and immediately inland from the coast: a public narrow-gauge line, none of which ever served that sector of the land in real life. Per his narrative, the line opens in the first days of British narrow-gauge steam -- circa 1870, I think; and -- after some years of lean times for it -- closes on the eve of World War II: this, by coincidence -- nothing to do with the coming conflict, but as the result of a bad accident on the line.

Last edited:

nanstallon

A propos Calthrop's latest contribution, I have Bryan Morgan's 'Railway Relics' in my collection. A Christmas present from a girlfriend of long distant memory, back in university days in the late 60's, this was a book that I warmed to, and these days forms an interesting look back to our hobby as it was all those years ago. Still pretty good on railway 'prehistory', it is one of the 'top 30' in my huge library that I would keep if I had to move into a home in my dotage.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
it is one of the 'top 30' in my huge library that I would keep if I had to move into a home in my dotage.
Hmm, famous last words, and all that! I'm being forced into having to consider such, and my library is being divested of books as I speak, though mostly fiction at present.

izvor

Oh dear! Of course, I have Fastness of France, which I remembered shortly after making my last post. Although not cover-to-cover, I have read substantial chunks, mainly concerning parts of the Massif that I have visited. I agree with all your (Calthrop's) comments: it's a superb work, in his best style, and shows his deep love for the region.

The other work by Bryan Morgan that I referenced is actually titled Early Trains. It's an oddity, undated (1980s?), a large format picture book that almost looks like it is aimed at children. However, on closer look the reproductions of early engravings and photos are rather good, and the text is quite scholarly. Also strangely, although produced and published in the UK, the spelling throughout is American. Is this the same Bryan Morgan? Was he commissioned to write it? I can find no clues.

[edited to clarify names]

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Various rooting about does not provide a definite answer (sources could be wrong), but it does look as though it was the same author. Early Trains may have been a joint commission by British and American publishers in some way, which would explain the American spelling. Though this is all balance of probabilities: I can’t find anything definite.

Taunton

Established Member
Bryan Morgan's classic book is Railway Lovers Companion, a compendium of various articles and extracts, possibly the first such ever done, and quite a success for the publisher. Morgan seemed to get it just right, he has just a couple of his own works included, it's a big book and most of what is there is just a page or two. Closely printed, no photographs, it must have been a tremendous task to find and assemble it all. Quite a number of secondhand ones still around.

Several similar ones followed, seeing its success, some with a few of the same articles, but this is the best one. It's where I discovered the writing style of another chap, John Betjeman.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I have just bought BR 1970s Coaching Stock by Hugh Longworth, now this is a wonderful book, probably the best railway book i've bought for years. Its quite interesting to see how many different types of restaurant and buffet coaches there were back then compared to now where if you are lucky you might get a trolly. A more civilised age.

AndrewE

Established Member
I can't believe that I haven't mentioned this book before (and I have done a search...) Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy Maclean is excellent. I first read it because it was recommended as an introduction to the country in the "Rough Guide" to Yugoslavia about 30 years ago, but it is very readable throughout. He starts off in the 1930s en route to the UK embassy in the Soviet Union and continues to explore the country however he can, but mostly by rail. In the 2nd World War he ends up as liaison officer to Tito, but the only rail interest here is attacking the German lines of retreat! The whole book is gripping though.

P1010897-r.JPGP1010898-r.JPG

nanstallon

I have the Narrow Gauge World magazine going back to 2010; very nice but I never get round to re-reading them, and I need to clear out some space. Would someone who wants them care to give a donation to the Talyllyn Railway, plus postage or collect in person? I live in Cornwall, so may be a bit difficult to call in.