• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway books discussion

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As an idea discussed between @Calthrop, @yorkie and myself we thought it might be worth starting a thread off to discuss anything you might have read recently and whether you’d recommend it, what was interesting about it, or how well it was written etc.

There’s been a few similar threads over the years especially around Christmas, but it would be good to have one going all year round to share the knowledge about, and because it might encourage us to dip into the odd book that we might not have previously considered or heard about unless someone on this thread had recommended it to us.

Feel free to discuss books about international or UK railways on here no matter how niche it is, and let’s see how or if this develops into something useful and we’ll take it from there.
If you have any ideas that you think could be useful to incorporate then please send me a pm and we’ll have a chat about it.

Over to you folks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
All Aboard with E M Frimbo, the World's Greatest Railway Traveler, by Rogers E M Whittaker and Anthony Hiss.At the time of writing he had covered 2 390 671 miles
The Kingdom by the Sea, by Paul Theroux
That is good to motivate one to go travelling in the UK, if one needs motivation

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Excellent idea for a thread if I may say so! I'll have a dive into my collection later on and see if I can come up with a few things that might be of interest.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I do buy a lot of railway books, though mostly these days Middleton Press ones which i love. I have just picked up the Intercity 125 Haynes book, very enjoyable read.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Without hesitation the best book I have read recently is “Overhead Line Electrification for Railways” by Garry Keenor.

Also The Classic Steam Collection by Stephen Crook ( I bought this one because he taught me Latin at Grammar School)

Taunton

Established Member
All Aboard with E M Frimbo, the World's Greatest Railway Traveler, by Rogers E M Whittaker and Anthony Hiss.
(I have this as well).

This is the style of American enthusiast writing that just doesn't happen over here. Whittaker wrote (probably 1950s to 1980s) short railway items under this nom-de-plume for decades in the mainstream New Yorker magazine as one of their staff writers (he also did a lot of other subjects there under his normal name, such as about American football). Items regularly came forward into Trains magazine later as well. Typical American fascination with the detail of food (on and off the train).

Calthrop

Established Member
I have been reading a book titled Engines That Bend (published 2012); by one David Joy -- presumably no connection with the namesake 19th-century inventor of a particular type of valve gear ! It gives essentially a fairly succinct overview of articulated steam locomotives and their history and deployment, from the concept's first realisation to the present day -- with gauges only of 3ft. 6in. and narrower, being covered. Some adverse sentiments which I had been inclined to entertain about the book, "had their teeth drawn" on belated reading of the author's rather disarming Introduction. The "narrow gauge only" coverage -- which had at first seemed to me oddly invidious, in the light of the frequent incidence of at any rate the Garratt, Fairlie, and above all Mallet, types, on railways worldwide of gauges greater than "three-six" -- is explained by the author's having edited for a spell the magazine Narrow Gauge World, and discovered then a very high level among the magazine's readership, of interest in (of course in this case predominantly narrow-gauge) articulated steam locos.

Author goes on to characterise the book as a "readable narrative", not a "ponderous definitive history" -- with which I (especially with my being a highly non-technical type) am entirely happy -- it's written definitely in "layman's language". (He cites respectfully, a learned tome published very long ago, but acclaimed as truly the definitive work on "artics"; recommending that, to those who might wish to explore the subject in depth.) Concerning different types of steam-loco articulation -- of which very many were created, and ran, in the course of a century-plus, ranging from the highly effective and widely-adopted, to the distinctly weird and not-very-effective -- the author claims to restrict himself to "a relatively few successful types": re the less "mainstream" among same, I'm inclined to see those words as code for "it's my book, and I'm going to cover / omit what I want to". Still, that's his right: he makes no pretence of being all-inclusive.

We thus get coverage of the acknowledged stars of the "articulated" show -- Fairlie, Mallet, Garratt, and (Kitson-)Meyer; plus, with some brevity, the fair span of "also-rans" which take the author's fancy. Among these: fixed-wheelbase machines with axle-swivelling gear, of the Klien-Lindner / Luttermoeller / Klose ilk (some surprise occasioned to me by reading here, that certain loco classes which I'd thought myself well aware of, were thus-equipped "unbeknownst to me" -- I'd either never realised this, or had learned of it in the past, and subsequently forgotten); geared steam locos mounted on separate articulated powered trucks, of the Shay / Climax / Heisler persuasion; the Pechot-Bourdon "mutation" of the Fairlie type; and briefly, the few and largely abortive attempts at articulated Sentinel-type geared locos.

The book is copiously illustrated -- essentially, more than one picture for each of the 120-odd pages. I find in the pictures, a good balance between material from prior to the last-decades-of-the-20th, and 21st, century (a few of such done by hand -- drawn or painted -- as opposed to photographed); and that from the half-lifetime or so up to 2012 -- this latter, of genuine commercial steam action in the last countries to use articulated locos for such duties (largely, and unsurprisingly, featuring Garratts in South Africa), and of assorted "heritage" scenes -- active, and static -- and of derelict locos.

The author's style is lively without being "gimmicky", and indeed highly readable. While the book had for me a downside or two, as told of above; I would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes steam locos (and does not find articulated ones off-puttingly grotesque), and does not totally write off as of no interest, railways further afield than those of Britain. Re this last: in the nature of things, the book is overwhelmingly about doings in a great variety of foreign lands, from France to New Zealand -- though Wales gets a look-in a propos Fairlies on the Ffestiniog, from the 1860s to the present day; and in recent times, ex-South African Garratts on the Welsh Highland.

Peter C

Established Member
I've been reading, on and off, rather a good book about the design of GWR express locomotives. It's called "GWR Stars, Castles, and Kings" by O.S. Nock. It's a tad long-winded in parts, but overall I've found it very interesting for learning how different bits of engines were designed over the years.
The omnibus edition combining parts one and two is the one I've got (I've not seen another version) and it is a medium-sized book but contains quite a bit of technical detail regarding GWR engine design practices.

-Peter :)

Calthrop

Established Member
(I have this as well).

This is the style of American enthusiast writing that just doesn't happen over here. Whittaker wrote (probably 1950s to 1980s) short railway items under this nom-de-plume for decades in the mainstream New Yorker magazine as one of their staff writers (he also did a lot of other subjects there under his normal name, such as about American football). Items regularly came forward into Trains magazine later as well. Typical American fascination with the detail of food (on and off the train).

I read, very many years ago, All Aboard with E.M. Frimbo; loved it at the time -- but to my regret and, rather, embarrassment, now remember very little detail indeed, of its content (I never owned the book). Impression certainly remains, that the author experienced much very enviable long-ago rail stuff in the Americas.

It came across to me, that Mr. Whittaker was very definitely "a man of parts" -- as well as above-mentioned, one gathers that he moved in New York high society, with sundry show-business connections. The very antithesis of the well-worn contemptuous stereotype of the railway enthusiast as one-track-minded socially-awkward ridiculous "loner / loser"...

(Continuing on Sat. 12/9)

Another prominent American chronicler-of-his-rail travels, much liked by me, is Charles S. Small. His classic book, Far Wheels, published 1959 -- about experiences generally through the 1950s, of railways in a globally wide assortment of countries (he did a good deal of "railwaying" in his homeland, but chose mostly for his writings, places further afield). He was one of those few lucky enthusiasts 60 -- 70 years ago, who had jobs which took them all over the world; in the course of which they could at least look in on the railways of the countries to which they were sent. Small had if I recall correctly, a high-ranking position in the oil industry; he had a British contemporary and counterpart in Peter Allen, who worked for ICI.

Small appears to have been in the main, keen on quirky and interesting railways of less-than-main-trunk-line level: Far Wheels tells of an assortment mostly of such, in -- broadly -- Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas "south of the Border". He wrote further books: Rails to the Setting Sun -- which I've read: essentially "more of the same" as Far Wheels -- very interesting, but it struck me as done with less care than was Far Wheels -- a bit hastily slapped-together; and, Rails to the Rising Sun -- concerning railways in Japan, of which he was a devotee (one chapter in Far Wheels, is about assorted idiosyncratic Japanese lines). I've rather "skimmed" RttRS : in honesty, it's about a milieu which I do not much cotton to. At all events, Small got to some fascinating places and railways: among them -- as told of in Far Wheels -- Eritrea long before its railway was wrecked; and then revived, on what has turned out to be a solely "heritage" scene.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
It's not so much a normal book as just a book full of pictures, but it's quite good so I thought I'd mention "Lure of Steam" by Eric Treacy. Full of amazing photos he took of all sorts of engines and bits of engines. Quite interesting to see some now-preserved engines in BR (or earlier) service!

-Peter :)

Taunton

Established Member
I archived a lot of my book collection up to the attic (at least on proper bookshelves, getting those up there in sections and assembling them there being the principal task), but kept a couple of shelves down below, and a smaller even more select group in the sitting room bookcase.

If I had to pick one (a "Desert Island Discs" book) it would be Railway Lovers Companion, 1962, edited by Bryan Morgan. Nearly 60 years old now, but a marvellous and substantial compendium of fine railway writing that the editor had managed to unearth, picked out from all sorts of places. It's where I first discovered Tuplin, John Betjeman, Roger Lloyd, Rogers E M Whitaker (above), and a whole string of others, including Morgan himself.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Platform Souls by Nicolas Whittaker, like 'Fever Pitch' but about trainspotting

Old magazines can be very interesting

As for railway true stories, the Barry Phenomenon with Dai Woodham is one of my favourites, where would the heritage rail movement be without him? The story would make a great film

birchesgreen

Established Member
My favourite railway book bought within the last few years is Night Trains of British Rail, Alan Whitehouse's photos of BR operations during the early hours, mostly the TPO and newspaper trains. I can't recommend it enough.

Calthrop

Established Member

I've taken considerable delight in this one. One comment in it, strikes a particularly poignant chord with me -- re BR everyday steam's ending at the very beginning of August 1968: "If there had been any poets on the British Railways Board they might have let the lads enjoy one last glorious trainspotting summer, two more of those long hot months of [steam's various delights]." If only, indeed... one can feel that as regards any delectable thing on the rail scene which, regrettably, has to come to an end; the least bad time for that to happen, is around the end of September / transition time as used to be, approximately, between summer and winter timetables "back in the day": giving the lovers of whatever-it-might-be, one final full summer. The Southern Railway in abandoning the Lynton & Barnstaple in 1935, had at least the minimal decency to schedule that act for the last days of September.

(Posted 15/9)

If I had to pick one (a "Desert Island Discs" book) it would be Railway Lovers Companion, 1962, edited by Bryan Morgan. Nearly 60 years old now, but a marvellous and substantial compendium of fine railway writing that the editor had managed to unearth, picked out from all sorts of places. It's where I first discovered Tuplin, John Betjeman, Roger Lloyd, Rogers E M Whitaker (above), and a whole string of others, including Morgan himself.

I have this one: I agree, it contains much superb material. In the "Americana" department: a splendid few pages there, by Lucius Beebe -- railfan who exhaustively travelled the USA, doing his stuff in the very broad time-frame of three-quarters of a century ago -- if I'm right, part of the foreword or "appetiser" from his book Mixed Train Daily, published 1947. That is a wondrous tome -- I once owned a copy, but alas, no more. Goes on from preamble as above: to detailed, masterfully written, coverage of a multitude of small private -- or narrow-gauge -- railroads which he visited; copiously illustrated with photographs taken at time of visits (again if I have things rightly, Beebe wasn't a photter: his pal Charles Clegg, who accompanied him on his travels, did the camera stuff).

Much to marvel at, in the pages of this work -- if only it were still in my possession -- much, I'm sure, which I've now forgotten. A highlight of it which sticks in mind, involves time spent on the Denver & Rio Grande's 3ft. gauge lines: including a journey on the passenger working thereon, the San Juan, which plied between Antonito and Durango and return (the more easterly part of this route, now the Cumbres & Toltec heritage line) -- a ride taken shortly after the end of World War II: the passenger service on this route was withdrawn a few years later. As one always feels: fortunate people to have been there and then, with the opportunity and time properly to savour things.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Old magazines can be very interesting

As for railway true stories, the Barry Phenomenon with Dai Woodham is one of my favourites, where would the heritage rail movement be without him? The story would make a great film
Yes I’m a fan of all three you mentioned there, especially Platform Souls. Very well written and I found it hard to put down.

I’ve got quite a few of the old ‘Janes Railway Year’ books from the 1980s. There not what you call highbrow reading, but it’s interesting to see what we think of as old now (Mk3s, class 142s etc) being described as modern efficient rolling stock.

Gloster

Established Member
Rails in the Fells by David Jenkinson. This is not the usual railway history, but a study of the Settle & Carlisle line in its geographical, social and economic environment. It is not an academic study, but is aimed at the general reader, something uncommon when it came out (1973, I think). It introduced me to such ideas as the chi-squared test.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I think Jenkinson related how the S&C was planned, it could have been a bluff by the Midland to persuade the LNWR to concede running rights
The bluff was called so the line had to be built

Calthrop

Established Member
I think Jenkinson related how the S&C was planned, it could have been a bluff by the Midland to persuade the LNWR to concede running rights
The bluff was called so the line had to be built

There is an, in my opinion, entertaining thread from a few years ago, in the "Railway History and Nostalgia" sub-forum: titled "UKR Forum 1866 Headline: Midland to go ahead with Settle -- Carlisle Madness". A flight of fancy for the purposes of which, RailUKForums exists in 1866 -- assorted posters propound, from a "then" perspective, various points of view concerning the proposing and inception of the S&C: the matter as quoted above, of the Midland's bluff being called, is touched on.

I am clueless about all but the simplest "computer stuff" -- which doesn't include being able to set up links to past Forums threads. So: the thread's title is, as just above. It ran in early August 2016; would appear at present, to be on page 91 of "Railway History and Nostalgia".

Taunton

Established Member
It was just as well the S&C was built - for long, from its inception to the 1970s, the LNWR line over Shap was fully occupied, especially at night. There just wouldn't have been capacity for Midland traffic from the Settle to Low Gill line as well. The Midland itself became commonly fully occupied at these times as well - you just have to read the accounts of the Hawes Junction accident in 1910 to realise how much used that line also was.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is an, in my opinion, entertaining thread from a few years ago, in the "Railway History and Nostalgia" sub-forum: titled "UKR Forum 1866 Headline: Midland to go ahead with Settle -- Carlisle Madness". A flight of fancy for the purposes of which, RailUKForums exists in 1866 -- assorted posters propound, from a "then" perspective, various points of view concerning the proposing and inception of the S&C: the matter as quoted above, of the Midland's bluff being called, is touched on.

I am clueless about all but the simplest "computer stuff" -- which doesn't include being able to set up links to past Forums threads. So: the thread's title is, as just above. It ran in early August 2016; would appear at present, to be on page 91 of "Railway History and Nostalgia"
Here you go Mr @Calthrop. ;)

Gloster

Established Member
#24 It is so long ago since I used it that I don’t properly remember, but I think it gives an idea of how likely the correlation between two sets of data is due to chance. If x% of parishes with a station saw a rise in population between 1880 and 1930, and y% saw a fall, you can work out how likely this was due to the existence of the station, or just chance or other factors.

A statistician will probably now say I am talking utter gibberish.

Calthrop

Established Member
I have lately been re-reading a book which I've noticed a fair number of RailUKForums posters mention as much loved by them: Eleven Minutes Late by Matthew Engel. I confess to being, in many respects, hard to please. My personal reaction to the book (which came my way initially, as a birthday present from relatives aware of my railway enthusiasm) is to regard it as OK, and basically a good read; but falling considerably short of being a masterwork.

While the book has proved to be greatly liked by railway enthusiasts; it would appear to me, to be aimed first-and-foremost at the many millions of Britons who are not "into" railways on a hobby-type scale, but harbour at least a small spark of liking for trains and railways. In his 300-odd pages, Engel provides for such a readership: a digestible, not overly "heavy" history -- social / political, not technical -- of Great Britain's railways in their many aspects, between their early-19th-century beginnings, and publication date 2009. He ponders in parallel, on the railways' noticeable entwinement over that not-quite-two-hundred years, with the national heart and psyche of the British people. All this interspersed with / bracketed by notes and commentary on rail journeys taken by him late in the 21st century's first decade: chiefly, by dint of an all-line railrover, from Penzance to Thurso and back (northbound by the logical and, mostly, expeditious route, including a Penzance -- Dundee through working; southbound via expansively-wandering travels).

In my estimation, Engel writes competently and definitely readably; though, for sure, not attaining the status of an author of genius. His "product" compares unfavourably to me, with the work of several authors on railway themes; which work I find magical, or verging thereon. He is, in his writing, consistently witty and humorous: about the many oddities of Britain's railways, and about the immense amount of folly, and less-than-ethical behaviour -- on the part of commercial and State-run enterprise, and of government and administration -- which has attended Britain's railway age for its almost-two-centuries to date (he mercilessly "roasts" such bungling, and conscious misconduct; but with, in the main, humour plied with a light hand, rather than bitter ranting). I personally relished his humour, at times; at others I found it whimsical in a way which prompted a degree of irritation.

A device in the book, for me pleasing and interestingly original, is his choosing to head most -- not every one -- of his ten chapters plus prologue, with past or present British railway station names -- with a significance (sometimes abstruse) connected with the chapter's chief content. The chapter starts with a vignette of its name-place as it is today. Examples -- Monkwearmouth: impressive station built to the orders of George Hudson; cue for recounting of the craziness of the Railway Mania period, including Hudson's shady career and ultimate coming a cropper -- seguing into matters of rail passenger services' of the time, catering to prestigious; and lowly; customers. Carnforth: via that station's associations with the beloved and very-widely-known film Brief Encounter, the chapter covers the railways' travails and achievements in the two World Wars; and the intervening time of the "Big Four" -- which the author sees as overall, a somewhat sad one for the railways. Melton Constable: as the one-time headquarters of the Midland & Great Northern Joint network -- whose 1959 demise as a functioning system marked Great Britain's first notably large-scale at-the-one-time passenger closure -- this name is taken to stand for the entire British Rail(ways) era, with much material concerning Beeching, and the widespread regret at mass closure of rural lines (often on the part of those who effectively never used them). The succeeding chapter -- sardonically recounting post-BR goings-on from 1997 to publication date -- is headed "Pentonville Road": which I take as an allusion to those happenings' similarity to a game of Monopoly -- the sort of foolery and skulduggery in which is fun when it's a game, but highly regrettable in real life.

Picking up on a couple of small random references in the book: the first, a matter on which I find myself definitely "on the same page as" the author -- the second, the only thing in the book which actually made me angry (admittedly, concerning a scene over which I am beyond the reach of sense or reason). "Item 1": Engel and I both entertain a notion which many would consider heretical -- that the Dingwall to Kyle of Lochalsh line offers not quite such a glorious journey as it is very widely claimed to do. My impression on travelling, has been that magnificent though the line is at both extremities; its middle reaches are monotonous and somewhat dreary. Engel, while clearly finding his Dingwall -- Kyle trip interesting and enjoyable, briefly indicates rather similar sentiments.

"Item 2": the book is fundamentally about railways in Great Britain. There are occasional short "compare and contrast" interludes looking at contemporary railway doings in western Europe, and the USA; Ireland's rail scene, though, is ignored save for a few ephemeral incidental mentions. The least insubstantial of such, is in a passage concerning the early days of BR: "The most ardent advocates of supporting branch lines wanted to replace steam with diesel railcars or railbuses. The world's shining example, somewhat improbably, was held to be County Donegal." And "that's all he wrote" there. Engel is clearly no admirer of the diesel-railmotor concept. A few pages later, pouring scorn on BR's never very numerous four-wheel railbuses of the 1950s / 60s, he opines: "The miracles [light railmotors] wrought could be overstated, anyway: the Donegal lines all closed in 1959. You do reach a point in trying to run a train like a bus when you might as well run a bus." I own up to being a thorough head-in-the-clouds sentimentalist: and one who -- although not having had the good fortune to see at first hand, the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee's undertaking in action -- have been besottedly in love with same since first reading about it at the age of approximately seven; and positively reverent about its decades of work with convenient and adaptable diesel railcars. In this matter, then: to hell with perceivedly rational views about what is and is not worthwhile; and with common sense -- vis-a-vis the "Donegal", I am consumed with ill-wishes toward "Matthew E. and the horse he rode in on".

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have lately been re-reading a book which I've noticed a fair number of RailUKForums posters mention as much loved by then: Eleven Minutes Late by Matthew Engel. I confess to being, in many respects, hard to please. My personal reaction to the book (which came my way initially, as a birthday present from relatives aware of my railway enthusiasm) is to regard it as OK, and basically a good read; but falling considerably short of being a masterwork.

While the book has proved to be greatly liked by railway enthusiasts; it would appear to me, to be aimed first-and-foremost at the many millions of Britons who are not "into" railways on a hobby-type scale, but harbour at least a small spark of liking for trains and railways. In his 300-odd pages, Engel provides for such a readership: a digestible, not overly "heavy" history -- social / political, not technical -- of Great Britain's railways in their many aspects, between their early-19th-century beginnings, and publication date 2009. He ponders in parallel, on the railways' noticeable entwinement over that not-quite-two-hundred years, with the national heart and psyche of the British people. All this interspersed with / bracketed by notes and commentary on rail journeys taken by him late in the 21st century's first decade: chiefly, by dint of an all-line railrover, from Penzance to Thurso and back (northbound by the logical and, mostly, expeditious route, including a Penzance -- Dundee through working; southbound via expansively-wandering travels).

In my estimation, Engel writes competently and definitely readably; though, for sure, not attaining the status of an author of genius. His "product" compares unfavourably to me, with the work of several authors on railway themes; which work I find magical, or verging thereon. He is, in his writing, consistently witty and humorous: about the many oddities of Britain's railways, and about the immense amount of folly, and less-than-ethical behaviour -- on the part of commercial and State-run enterprise, and of government and administration -- which has attended Britain's railway age for its almost-two-centuries to date (he mercilessly "roasts" such bungling, and conscious misconduct; but with, in the main, humour plied with a light hand, rather than bitter ranting). I personally relished his humour, at times; at others I found it whimsical in a way which prompted a degree of irritation.

A device in the book, for me pleasing and interestingly original, is his choosing to head most -- not every one -- of his ten chapters plus prologue, with past or present British railway station names -- with a significance (sometimes abstruse) connected with the chapter's chief content. The chapter starts with a vignette of its name-place as it is today. Examples -- Monkwearmouth: impressive station built to the orders of George Hudson; cue for recounting of the craziness of the Railway Mania period, including Hudson's shady career and ultimate coming a cropper -- seguing into matters of rail passenger services' of the time, catering to prestigious; and lowly; customers. Carnforth: via that station's associations with the beloved and very-widely-known film Brief Encounter, the chapter covers the railways' travails and achievements in the two World Wars; and the intervening time of the "Big Four" -- which the author sees as overall, a somewhat sad one for the railways. Melton Constable: as the one-time headquarters of the Midland & Great Northern Joint network -- whose 1959 demise as a functioning system marked Great Britain's first notably large-scale at-the-one-time passenger closure -- this name is taken to stand for the entire British Rail(ways) era, with much material concerning Beeching, and the widespread regret at mass closure of rural lines (often on the part of those who effectively never used them). The succeeding chapter -- sardonically recounting post-BR goings-on from 1887 to publication date -- is headed "Pentonville Road": which I take as an allusion to those happenings' similarity to a game of Monopoly -- the sort of foolery and skulduggery in which is fun when it's a game, but highly regrettable in real life.

Picking up on a couple of small random references in the book: the first, a matter on which I find myself definitely "on the same page as" the author -- the second, the only thing in the book which actually made me angry (admittedly, concerning a scene over which I am beyond the reach of sense or reason). "Item 1": Engel and I both entertain a notion which many would consider heretical -- that the Dingwall to Kyle of Lochalsh line offers not quite such a glorious journey as it is very widely claimed to do. My impression on travelling, has been that magnificent though the line is at both extremities; its middle reaches are monotonous and somewhat dreary. Engel, while clearly finding his Dingwall -- Kyle trip interesting and enjoyable, briefly indicates rather similar sentiments.

"Item 2": the book is fundamentally about railways in Great Britain. There are occasional short "compare and contrast" interludes looking at contemporary railway doings in western Europe, and the USA; Ireland's rail scene, though, is ignored save for a few ephemeral incidental mentions. The least insubstantial of such, is in a passage concerning the early days of BR: "The most ardent advocates of supporting branch lines wanted to replace steam with diesel railcars or railbuses. The world's shining example, somewhat improbably, was held to be County Donegal." And "that's all he wrote" there. Engel is clearly no admirer of the diesel-railmotor concept. A few pages later, pouring scorn on BR's never very numerous four-wheel railbuses of the 1950s / 60s, he opines: "The miracles [light railmotors] wrought could be overstated, anyway: the Donegal lines all closed in 1959. You do reach a point in trying to run a train like a bus when you might as well run a bus." I own up to being a thorough head-in-the-clouds sentimentalist: and one who -- although not having had the good fortune to see at first hand, the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee's undertaking in action -- have been besottedly in love with same since first reading about it at the age of approximately seven; and positively reverent about its decades of work with convenient and adaptable diesel railcars. In this matter, then: to hell with perceivedly rational views about what is and is not worthwhile; and with common sense -- vis-a-vis the "Donegal", I am consumed with ill-wishes toward "Matthew E. and the horse he rode in on".

Having read the book myself, I agree with some of the points you make. It's not a masterpiece, but then I'm not sure Engel intended it to be such.

The chapters on the journey he undertakes is probably the best part of the book, I was less taken by the historical section, though I struggle to express why exactly. I've been much more satisfied by other works on railway history - put it that way.

I do enjoy the journey format though, I quite enjoyed the one by Andrew Martin, Belles and Whistles, where he compares historical named trains to the present day by undertaking journeys on the modern day equivalents. Underground Overground by the same author also enjoyable to read giving a sort of history of the Underground mixed with some of the author's own experiences with the same.

Though both are quite light reading, I need to have a good think about what I'd recommend for heavy railway history reading.

Calthrop

Established Member
Having read the book myself, I agree with some of the points you make. It's not a masterpiece, but then I'm not sure Engel intended it to be such.

The chapters on the journey he undertakes is probably the best part of the book, I was less taken by the historical section, though I struggle to express why exactly. I've been much more satisfied by other works on railway history - put it that way.

I do enjoy the journey format though, I quite enjoyed the one by Andrew Martin, Belles and Whistles, where he compares historical named trains to the present day by undertaking journeys on the modern day equivalents. Underground Overground by the same author also enjoyable to read giving a sort of history of the Underground mixed with some of the author's own experiences with the same.

Though both are quite light reading, I need to have a good think about what I'd recommend for heavy railway history reading.

I'd be inclined to suggest that the "history bits" have some likelihood of not being altogether to the taste of folk with a strong interest in railways, who thus have a considerable knowledge of Britain's rail history; with the book's being in my perception -- as mentioned -- geared above all to giving a relatively short-and-sweet, digestible, run-down on rail happenings circa 1825 -- 2009; for readers who are not particularly knowledgeable on the matter. Plus, the author's chosen way of "helping the medicine go down", with a plentiful helping of humour -- for some (myself included), said ongoing humour, in Engel's sometimes rather "cutesy" style, can become wearisome: one feels like exclaiming, "please, Matthew, lay off the comedy once in a while -- just tell it 'straight' now and again, to make a change".

I'd never hitherto heard of Andrew Martin -- my interest is piqued. I'll admit to never having found the Underground all that exciting or inspiring; but it can be good to get out of one's comfort zone a little !

As regards the heavy-and-super-detailed: I seem to be aware of considerable reverence being accorded to the works of Jack Simmons, though I've never tried anything by him. I'll admit to being something of a "lightweight" re this sort of thing: a general overall grasp will, basically, do for me -- I have no big desire to be acquainted with the minutiae of every merger between one railway company and another, and the inception of every curve and chord, that there has ever been...

S&CLER

I'd be inclined to suggest that the "history bits" have some likelihood of not being altogether to the taste of folk with a strong interest in railways, who thus have a considerable knowledge of Britain's rail history; with the book's being in my perception -- as mentioned -- geared above all to giving a relatively short-and-sweet, digestible, run-down on rail happenings circa 1825 -- 2009; for readers who are not particularly knowledgeable on the matter. Plus, the author's chosen way of "helping the medicine go down", with a plentiful helping of humour -- for some (myself included), said ongoing humour, in Engel's sometimes rather "cutesy" style, can become wearisome: one feels like exclaiming, "please, Matthew, lay off the comedy once in a while -- just tell it 'straight' now and again, to make a change".

I'd never hitherto heard of Andrew Martin -- my interest is piqued. I'll admit to never having found the Underground all that exciting or inspiring; but it can be good to get out of one's comfort zone a little !

As regards the heavy-and-super-detailed: I seem to be aware of considerable reverence being accorded to the works of Jack Simmons, though I've never tried anything by him. I'll admit to being something of a "lightweight" re this sort of thing: a general overall grasp will, basically, do for me -- I have no big desire to be acquainted with the minutiae of every merger between one railway company and another, and the inception of every curve and chord, that there has ever been...
Jack Simmons is well worth reading, and certainly his one-volume book The Railways of Britain will give exactly that general overall grasp that you refer to. His more detailed works The Railway in Town and Country 1830-1914 and The Victorian Railway are in my opinion the best yet produced on the 19th century railway as a whole, and as part of society, perhaps because they are the work of a professional historian and not a nuts and bolts railway specialist. I don't think you would find them either heavy or super-detailed. Certainly Simmons is in a different class to Hamilton Ellis (who, nevertheless had many admirable points and was a more engaging writer with an artist's eye for picturesque detail). As for minutiae, if you like that kind of thing try H.G. Lewin on The Railway Mania and its Aftermath, or there are plenty of company histories to choose from, some of them rather plodding. I stand amazed and impressed by the detail of J.I.C. Boyd's research on the Welsh narrow gauge lines but no one ever accused him of being readable. Charles Grinling's old Victorian book on the Great Northern is still a very readable period piece. Dow on the GCR showed how it could be done while still remaining readable. An American railroad buff who was also a professional economist and wrote the standard work on the "interurban" electric lines in the States (George Hilton) once proposed a law, that the amount of detailed research on a given railway was in inverse proportion to its real importance; that's why the S&D or the M&GN or the Cambrian got better coverage than the CLC (or the LNWR until M.C. Reed's book).