• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonDAA

Does anyone have a photo or memories of the signal man's dog at Hest Bank in the mid 1960s.....it used to sit on the crossing boards oblivious of the passing trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not sure if this keeps the thread on topic, but, notwithstanding, has anyone got the story behind the 'Ruswarp' dog statue that is sat on the Southbound platform at Garsdale station on the Settle & Carlisle line?

pieguyrob

Wasn't Ruswarp the pet of one of the lead campaigners of the friends of the Settle & Carlisle Railway, who campaigned to save the line from closure during the 80's?

Condor7

Ruswarp first made the news when his master Graham Nuttall put his paw print on the list of objectors to the closing of the Settle & Carlisle line in the late 80’s, and was used by the press to give the campaign great publicity.

However it was a subsequent event that sealed his fame. Shortly after the line was saved Graham and Ruswarp went walking in the Welsh mountains in the winter and tragically Graham fell over a ledge and died in a particularly remote area. He was discovered 11 weeks later and Ruswarp was found still alive (just) at his masters side. A story that always brings a lump to my throat.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ruswarp first made the news when his master Graham Nuttall put his paw print on the list of objectors to the closing of the Settle & Carlisle line in the late 80’s, and was used by the press to give the campaign great publicity.

However it was a subsequent event that sealed his fame. Shortly after the line was saved Graham and Ruswarp went walking in the Welsh mountains in the winter and tragically Graham fell over a ledge and died in a particularly remote area. He was discovered 11 weeks later and Ruswarp was found still alive (just) at his masters side. A story that always brings a lump to my throat.
That's a bit like the statue of a little dog in Edinburh, similar story I think.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not sure if this keeps the thread on topic, but, notwithstanding, has anyone got the story behind the 'Ruswarp' dog statue that is sat on the Southbound platform at Garsdale station on the Settle & Carlisle line?
Here's what you need from the official source - but as posted helpfully above really

Sorry to OP - can't help with dog at Hest Bank box! Sounds like a remarkable animal.

Kingspanner

My wife and I along with many others chipped in a few quid for the Ruswarp statue, and then got an invite to the unveiling at Garsdale. I got a free mug from a Network Rail facilities van and Mark Rand gave an excellent speech interrupted by a coal train rumbling through.
He explained that he had was at Graham Nuttall's funeral and Ruswarp howled throughout the proceedings. It does bring a tear to the eye....

Status
Not open for further replies.