• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Engineering Diploma Level 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaMatthews

Hi all, just wondering if I could get some opinions on the following:

About 4 months ago, I applied for a track operative job. Long story short but it was a "bait and switch" which actually turned out to be a college course for a railway engineering diploma. During the introduction it was mentioned that it is a 15 week course which at the end, includes a PTS course and Track induction. From there we will be given work by an agency called National Skills Solutions.

During the course, concerns have been mentioned and the organisation has been poor. It's coming towards the end of the course, I've been out of work since the start of the pandemic and I'm getting a bit nervous as things like the PTS have not even been booked yet. I'm just looking for someone more knowledgeable that may be able to weigh in on this:

1.) The course has been done via Zoom due to social distancing. So the majority has been theory and there are only two days of practicals which will be held at a heritage railway. Is the two days really enough to understand the basics? I don't want end up on a job and be a complete lemon.

2.) Would a PTS or track induction include some practicals?

3.) How much work is actually going in terms of basic track work? The agency are promising the world but having looked at NR's careers, there isn't much going in terms of vacancies. (I'm from the Gatwick area). Has anybody heard of or worked with this agency?

4.) What is a reasonable hourly rate for basic track work when working with an agency?

5.) Would this qualification give me any kind of advantage when applying to NR or is it experience that counts?

Any other relevant opinions / information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rbutler8919

How's it going? Noticed you posted this 6 months ago. I'm currently doing this diploma half way through it. Be interesting to hear how it panned out for you as I am in the same boat

conanduex

Hiya,

I saw a posting for a job as a railway track maintenance operator where training is provided by the National Skills Service? I am curious to hear what your experience was as I am interested in applying - as well as if you were paid during the training period or did you pay (as you said it was a college course).:D

MistaMatthews

Don't do it. You won't get paid during training. I fact, they charge you £5500 for a diploma that is completely useless on the railway.

Find yourself a sponsor, do your PTS and get some tickets. If I'd spent the £5500 on tickets instead of this ridiculous qualification, i'd be earning good money.

Certificates never materialised for the course either. It's pretty much a scam. I was lucky enough to find my own so sponsor following the course but 75% of the people that done it are still not working and the course finished 3 months ago.

conanduex

Don't do it. You won't get paid during training. I fact, they charge you £5500 for a diploma that is completely useless on the railway.

Find yourself a sponsor, do your PTS and get some tickets. If I'd spent the £5500 on tickets instead of this ridiculous qualification, i'd be earning good money.

Certificates never materialised for the course either. It's pretty much a scam. I was lucky enough to find my own so sponsor following the course but 75% of the people that done it are still not working and the course finished 3 months ago.
What! That is pretty much a scam. Thank God I thought to ask around beforehand...

conanduex

I should have seen it coming to be honest. But in desperate times during this pandemic, it presented a dream opportunity and I fell for it!
I'm sorry to hear that, and relieved you managed to find a sponser out of finishing the course. It really did seem like the dream opportunity... I have always wanted to get some experience in railway engineering but it seems I have to go the proper route of finding a sponser, doing PTS and tickets..

kkhalid

Just came across this post and am a bit worried now, I am half way through this course. Would you still say its not worth doing?

MistaMatthews

Just came across this post and am a bit worried now, I am half way through this course. Would you still say its not worth doing?

If you're half way through then obviously you've already paid for it. I can tell you out of 40 people on my course, only six of us are working. Luckily I found my own sponsor but you'll soon realise that you could've got on the rails without the meaningless diploma. If you're doing level 2, it at least gives you some practicals. Level 3 is utter waste. Sorry to say, it is pretty much a scam.

kkhalid

How did you get on with the assessments for the course? I seem to be struggling on a couple of them and wondered if you can point me to some useful sites that might help. Unit 93, assessment 1 for example asks you to create a maintenance plan for a selected route. Might have been helpful if we were given some examples of what a typical railway maintenance plan looks like.

MistaMatthews

How did you get on with the assessments for the course? I seem to be struggling on a couple of them and wondered if you can point me to some useful sites that might help. Unit 93, assessment 1 for example asks you to create a maintenance plan for a selected route. Might have been helpful if we were given some examples of what a typical railway maintenance plan looks like.

Inbox me your email address. I'll send you the entire course. Nobody even bothered to mark it.

Stigy

Established Member
Inbox me your email address. I'll send you the entire course. Nobody even bothered to mark it.
Sounds like a couple of railway funded apprenticeships I’ve done. Not worth the paper they’re written on and I was given the qualification not only without completing the course, but without an assessor even laying eyes on it.

MistaMatthews

Sounds like a couple of railway funded apprenticeships I’ve done. Not worth the paper they’re written on and I was given the qualification not only without completing the course, but without an assessor even laying eyes on it.

Whilst it's a shame such a scam is going on, I have to say, it did point me towards the railway. I've enjoyed a year in possession support, become a COSS and now have a start date for Trainee Driver Training. I guess I wouldn't take any of it back but I've been extremely lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.