• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

clagmonster

Established Member
Moor Park
Northwick Park
Wembley Park
Carpenders Park
Stonebridge Park
Queen's Park
Kilburn Park
Regent's Park
Canons Park
Green Park
Belsize Park
Woodside Park
Tufnell Park
Finsbury Park
Hyde Park Corner
Park Royal
Newbury Park
Holland Park
Elm Park
St. James' Park
Ravenscourt Park
Chiswick Park
Wimbledon Park

I make it 23.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Carpenters Park and Stonebridge Park are Network Rail and server by LUL on a technicallity.
True, it depends on how LUL station is being defined. It could be:
owned by LUL
operated by LUL
served by LUL

I'll stick with my 23 until it is marked as wrong. We are both right on different interpretations.

I wonder about the situation with Finsbury Park.

Ivo

Established Member
Sorry; didn't realise there was another page. D'oh!

Every station currently served by LUL counts. The answer is not 23 either.

Ivo

Established Member
It is 24 - but you missed two. Carpenders Park is not served by LUL! ;)

If you failed that time, I would have given a pretty obvious clue:

Two stations on the same line; one a former BR station and the other the home of EM2's favourite bunch of los... I mean, footballers.

Westbourne Park and Upton Park

clagmonster

Established Member
Oops. I suppose I'd best set a question.
From 1951 until 1986, which status was shared by the Tigers and the Newton Heath Railwaymans club?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Manchester United used to be Newton Heath, didn't they, but that was back in the 19th c. Tigers sounds like an American football team, or one of those cheesy names Rugby League clubs give themselves these days, but they wouldn't have done in the 1950s. But I'm going to say, they shared a ground.

clagmonster

Established Member
Paul is almost correct in that the Tigers is the nickname of Hull City AFC (note the A, we are particular about it).

Schnellzug is correct that Manchester United evolved from the Newton Heath Railwayman's club.

All you need to do now is to find the link.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This might not be the one you want, but it names both these two clubs and is interesting all the same......

On 1st August 1970, Hull City AFC were the first team in the world to be beaten on penalties, in a cup competition, by Manchester United, in the semi-final of the Watneys Cup.

clagmonster

Established Member
Yes it is one of our many claims to fame, but not the one I was looking for. Note the dates given in the question. The answer is also more railway related.

clagmonster

Established Member
Did they have their own stations at the grounds? :o
Yes, on lines not served by other passenger trains.
Old Trafford Halt is still open, on the spur to the container terminal and the MSC network.
Boothferry Halt was last used in 1986 and was between Spring Bank Junction and Hessle Road Junction. Passenger trains were occasionally sent that way when the main line out of Paragon was shut.

At one point, Watford also had their own halt on the Croxley Green branch. Ramsline Halt also served Derby County's baseball ground, but was only ever used for a couple of games. It still stands, adjacent to the Derby-Burton line. Over to you.

Welshman

Established Member
OK - try this:-

What other building connects now-closed stations in Barnsley and Bradford?

4SRKT

Established Member
Barnsley Exchange isn't closed. Not called Exchange any more, but still the same station.

deltic1989

Established Member
I'm going to just take a wild guess here, Up until 19/04/1960 there was a station in Barnsley called Barnsley Court House. So I'm going to say that Court House is the answer, but its just a stab in the dark.

4SRKT

Established Member
Court House will be correct because the Law Courts in Bradford are built on the site of Exchange station.

deltic1989

Established Member
woohoo i got one of these quizzes right.
Now to come up with a devilishly difficult question to test you all. <D

what do Nottingahm Victoria (now closed) and Lincoln St Marks (now closed) have in common? (apart from the fact that they are closed)