• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
What is the lowest level of service received at an open BR station? Give an example of a station with this level of service.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Do you mean the least frequent service, and do you mean specifically BR? How about Weymouth Quay, which hasn't had a regular service since about 1987 (apart form the odd special) but was, and still is, officially open?

clagmonster

Established Member
By BR, I mean stations on what is the former BR network, ie on Network Rail metals.

I know that the Weymouth Quay branch hasn't been formaly closed, but I didn't know that the station itself hadn't gone through closure proceedings.

There are two other stations I had in mind that have no scheduled service(not even a replacement bus) but were never formally closed. One closed in 1986, the other in this century.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm guessing one (the post-2000 one obviously) may be Etruria, but I wouldn't have a clue for the other one. I wasn't even alive then :roll:

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm guessing one (the post-2000 one obviously) may be Etruria, but I wouldn't have a clue for the other one. I wasn't even alive then :roll:

Well I wasn't alive during the First World War but I'm pretty certain it happened.

Ivo

Established Member
You weren't alive during the Second either!

It'll be a sad day when I pass your post count - but given I'm only four behind...

4SRKT

Established Member
You spend too much time arsing around on railway quiz forums.

clagmonster

Established Member
Etruria has gone through the formal closure process, so is not what I am looking for.

clagmonster

Established Member
Newhaven Marine & Croxley Green?
Newhaven Marine is the one I was looking for - prospective passengers have to either walk to Newhaven Harbour or telephone for a taxi. The parliamentary service runs empty due to the dangerous state of the roof, even so said roof has since been removed.

I believe the Croxley branch has now formally been closed, though I am willing to be proven wrong on this. At the end, there was a taxi I believe operated each morning to provide the service.

The 1986 example was Boothferry Halt, which apparently never went through closure proceedings.

deltic1989

Established Member
It could be argued that they all come in red, yellow and , green but that wouldnt really apply to pigs. Or could it be to do with the centre of gravity, they all have a high centre of gravity (traffic lights have the head ten foot in the air, polititions have big heads, pigs have thier fat mostly at the top, and thumpers have thier power units above the solebar), that cant be the answer, but even if its wrong its got to be worth half a point.

Ivo

Established Member
Amusing, but no.

If I gave a mark out of 5, it would be done thusly:

1: A (not necessarily accurate) definite association formed between the Thumper and one of the other three.
2: A (not necessarily accurate) definite association formed between the Thumper and two of the other three.
3: An accurate determination of the location of the association, in addition to the criterion set out for 2 marks.
4: An explanation of the event that links all four together, in addition to the first criterion set out for 3 marks.
5: An exact association between the four, including the location and process involved.

Scoring 5 marks is not necessary to complete the question. I will not accept anything worth less than 4 though.

Your first answer would be worth 1 point, but only for the traffic lights (what about blue and the Conservatives?). Your second is worth 2 points.

deltic1989

Established Member
I'll have another crack at this if I may. I am only certain on one of the points I am about to raise the rest is just guess work based on the first.
There was a head on collision involveing 205029 at Cowden on 15/10/94. So my guess is they have all been involved in or contributary factors to fatal collisions in the Cowden area?

Ivo

Established Member
I guess it's theoretically possible, but I am looking for one specific event (as opposed to several of the same event).

I also doubt the Government caused a head-on collision! :lol:

I am sorry to say that your effort is worth 0 points.

deltic1989

Established Member
Third times the charm, (hopefully) the First set of Traffic Lights was installed outside the houses of Parliment on december 10th 1868 by Railway Engineer J.P.Knight, they exploded in use in 1869. So I'm going to assume that the link is something to do with the Houses of parliment, still not too sure where the pig comes into it

gg1

Established Member
Is the connection Hampshire?

The thumpers were built in Eastleigh and one of them is preserved on the MidHants Line.
There's a breed of pig called the Hampshire.
The UK’s largest naval base is in Portsmouth
Don't know where traffic lights fit in, as a complete guess are they manufactured somewhere in Hampshire?

Zoe

Established Member
I believe Shoeburyness would be the location as there is an MOD near the station at Pig's Bay. The question though does ask for a specific event.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
I believe Shoeburyness would be the location as there is an MOD near the station at Pig's Bay. The question though does ask for a specific event.

Well, you are halfway there. The event is still at large, as is the traffic light point. I will accept any answer from this point that can accurately explain one of the two (either the event or the traffic lights' involvement). But Pig's Bay is the site I am looking for.