• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Because it was first to be withdrawn and no other logical reason I will guess at 50011 Centurion.

Is correct. So one each for you and 444045, you can fight it out for who opens the little set of curtains and reveals the next question

(And if anyone knows definitely why those two were at least 9 months behind the other 48 in being named, I’d be interested to know)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Loco names

Two Great Western 4-6-0 locos carried the name of a famous bookselling/publishing company from a very famous university city

What were the full names and numbers?

DerekC

Established Member
Well I would be confident the bookseller is Blackwells, so with the GWR's habit of naming locos after stately piles of various sizes .... Blackwell Hall for one. I don't recall a Blackwell Castle so how about Blackwell Grange? I am away from my trusty 1959 version of the Ian Allan spotters book so can't tell you the numbers.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I shall try two possible right answers
1 The loco just carried his name without 'Baron'
2 He was in the middle of a herd of Gnus, Wildebeests and the like
If so, why? Was it urgently necessary to name an engine after him?

DerekC

Established Member
You are very close to the right answer - right class of locomotives and to do with naming.
I shall try two possible right answers
1 The loco just carried his name without 'Baron'
2 He was in the middle of a herd of Gnus, Wildebeests and the like
If so, why? Was it urgently necessary to name an engine after him?

Your (2) is the one to pursue. (Nobody seems to know why the urgency, rather than put him in the later batch of locos along with Geoffrey H Kitson & Co). Keep thinking. The Senegal Hartebeest is a clue as well!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The Observers list is alphabetical, not numeric, grr

61000 - 61040 were named after antelopes, except for 61036, so he was sandwiched between 61035 Pronghorn and 61037 Jairou

DerekC

Established Member
Not that. Here's a photo which gives the show away.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123594177@N08/46294702085

As far as I can ascertain 1036 never carried the "Korrigum" name although the plates were cast. It's notable that there is a gap (1239) in the sequence of locomotives carrying the names of LNER directors. These were part of batch 5, being built at North British at the same time as batch 2 was still being completed at Darlington. My theory is that somebody in power didn't like the name "Korrigum" and simply grabbed the plates from one of the NB locos which may well have been cast at Darlington. Alternatively maybe Baron Clitheroe was making a works tour whilst 1036 was being completed and somebody wanted to butter him up! We may never know.

@LSWR Cavalier - I think you should have the floor - 10/10 for effort!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Photos are great, better than the real thing
While waiting at Great Malvern station for the train to Brighton (30+ stops, mentioned elsewhere) one may still enjoy refreshments in Lady Foleys Tea Room
Her Ladyship owned a lot of Malvernshire, she insisted each new house have at least an acre of land
Her Ladyship was unfortunately a troublesome railway traveller, but why?

Last edited: