• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

Indeed they were, 10 electric locomotives to haul coal from Shildon to Newport (Middlesborough). The only non-steam locomotives built at Darlington.

@xotGD got the what, @martinsh got the where, so I'll let you decide between yourselves who gets the factory floor next ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
German Schienenwolf : a rail-mounted device used in military campaigns, for tearing up behind it the rail track which it was being hauled along -- used in situations where the line concerned had become a liability rather than an asset, to the military forces concerned.

Trackman

Established Member
German Schienenwolf : a rail-mounted device used in military campaigns, for tearing up behind it the rail track which it was being hauled along -- used in situations where the line concerned had become a liability rather than an asset, to the military forces concerned.
It is!
Your floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks -- had been cherishing an idea for a question; but I've concluded that in order for it to work: the "preamble / instructions" would have to be too lengthy and complicated, for the whole thing to be acceptable to people. Thus, "not a runner".

Can't think of any alternative submission -- so open floor, please.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Walschaerts patented his valve gear in France but not in Belgium, why?
(He was in charge of the works at Brussels-Midi 1844-1885)
An identical valve gear was devised later elsewhere, by whom?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A clue: it had something to do with his employment status (just been researching, reading French and Niederlandish)

Is his valve gear wonderfully simple? Must try to understand it

xotGD

Established Member
So patenting in France, he benefitted personally, but patenting in Belgium his employer would benefit?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I read a couple of slightly different accounts
I think he was not allowed to patent it in Belgium because he devised it at work, not privately, but he was allowed to patent it in France. He got a chum to take out the Belgian patent. One wonders how much the royalties might have been

So I guess @Calthrop and @xotGD have one point each

xotGD

Established Member
Sticking with names and numbers, which Class 47 was named Henry Ford?

Edit: The plates were later transferred to 47310. I'm looking for the first to carry the name.

SteveM70

Established Member
Same loco, different name: Sir Edward Elgar

You are correct. The floor is yours......

Minor point of pedantry - 50007 was the first to be renamed; the last to be named was 50006

Sticking with names and numbers, which Class 47 was named Henry Ford?

Edit: The plates were later transferred to 47310. I'm looking for the first to carry the name.

SteveM70

Established Member
Four class 40s were moved to departmental use for the remodelling of Crewe and renumbered 97405/6/7/8. Three of them then survived into preservation, but one didn’t. Which one? (And I mean the 40xxx number)