• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spamcan81

A quick and (hopefully) easy one:

What do Kathleen and Lady Edith have in common with L45? And for a bonus - where did they run?

Kathleen and Lady Edith ran on the Cavan & Leitrim. IIRC after CIE came into being, C&L locos were numbered in the Lxx series so are all three C&L 4-4-0T locos?

Edit : The penny has just dropped, L45 is a former Metropolitan Rly. A Class 4-4-0T no.23 so the two named locos and L45 are all 4-4-0T locos, albeit of different gauges. Kathleen & Lady Edith ran on the Cavan and Leitrim and L45 worked on Metropolitan Rly and its LT successor.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Are they by any chance the same locomotive? The WD class were certainly renumbered from their 7xxxx WD numbers to 9xxxx BR numbers, but I don't know how 63001 fits in!

Spamcan81

Are they by any chance the same locomotive? The WD class were certainly renumbered from their 7xxxx WD numbers to 9xxxx BR numbers, but I don't know how 63001 fits in!

They are indeed the same loco. The LNER bought several WD 2-8-0 locos and as Class O7 they were numbered in the LNER 3xxx series. These became 63xxx on Nationalisation but when BR purchased even more of the class, the former LNER locos were renumbered in the 90xxx series. The shunter's pole is yours.

DerekC

Established Member
What did Mr W. S. Boult present to the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1901 that had been tried successfully on the North British and Great Northern railways at speeds up to 70mph, but was not adopted until the 1950s, and why was Mr Boult's design better than what was eventually adopted?

DerekC

Established Member
Not water troughs or mail bag collection

AWS, with a visual indication of the last signal?
That's it! The display was aimed at semaphores (see below) but it worked on exactly the same principle, with permanent and electromagnets.
Any idea why the design was better in one key way than what was actually adopted nearly sixty years later?

Attachments

• 1612797910798.png
    1612797910798.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 4

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Points and crossings, hmm
Were the magnets outside, or were they stronger so that the greater clearance was enough not to cause trouble?

DerekC

Established Member
You are getting there, I think, but it's not quite that. Boult's Cab Signalling System, as demonstrated on the North British Railway in 1893, mounted the magnets outside the running rails on the right hand side in the direction of running. This gave directionality without needing suppressors on bidirectional sections of track and is a considerable simplification compared with AWS. However it would have needed two sets of pickups on each locomotive and I have absolutely no idea what you would have done in third rail areas!

I think @Gloster should be handed the token.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
What peculiarity is shared by the following locations: Hawkeridge Junction, Lifford West Junction, Melton Junction, Stourbridge North Junction and at least six locations on the old Southern Region?

xotGD

Established Member
The line branches into three different routes, rather than just two.

Gloster

Established Member
None of them are stations for public use? I know 'Stourbridge Junction' is a station..
The line branches into three different routes, rather than just two.
I am afraid that both are wrong.

The answer is not so much a quality of the locations as where they are, or - depending on you interpretation - a combination of both.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Are they not in the places they are named after, Stourbridge North Junction leads to Stourbridge but is not in Stourbridge?

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
The locations on the former SR are: Crayford Spur A Junction, Laverstock South Junction, Maidstone West, Shacklegate Junction, Slade Green Junction and Virginia Water (the former A junction). One of these differs from the others in where it is in a way that may give a clue. I think that I have now listed all the locations on the current network, but I am fairly sure that there were others in the past.

Gloster

Established Member
A final clue: look at #29 on the Zero point for mileage on the Ungerground thread and you will see something very close to the answer.