• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
So the junctions are where the mileposts counting from two different directions meet. So as you pass through the junction the numbers stop increasing and start decreasing.

Gloster

Established Member
So the junctions are where the mileposts counting from two different directions meet. So as you pass through the junction the numbers stop increasing and start decreasing.
Effectively you have the answer, so you can start preparing the next question. However, there remains one detail which explains why, as far as I know, the ten listed locations are the only ones that exactly fit the bill on Network Rail. (I thought that Maidstone West might be the one that gave it away.)

Gloster

Established Member
At each of these locations and no other, as far as I can check, the distances change from ascending from a zero point to descending towards that same zero point. At Stourbridge North Junction it changes from ascending from Paddington via Birmingham Snow Hill (141m 06ch) to descending to Paddington via Worcester (142m 51ch). Maidstone East is the oddity as it is not, nor ever has been, a junction: it is 42m 41ch from Charing Cross via the Dartford Loop and 44m 56ch via Chelsfield.

xotGD now has the baton.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
If I may..
Walschaerts was not the only famous Belgian railway engineer born in the 19th century. The person I am thinking of is known for one thing in particular, but he devised at least two other things, deceptively simple perhaps..

Calthrop

Established Member
Would it be Alfred Belpaire? I know about his firebox, but have no knowledge of his additional 2+? creations.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Would it be Alfred Belpaire? I know about his firebox, but have no knowledge of his additional 2+? creations.
Correct, Walschaerts and Belpaire were both born in 1820, Belpaire became President of the Belgian Railway. His firebox was a big advance, it permitted use of cheap coal
But what else did he create, devise, invent? One of the things was a system, not an object or component. Another was a certain design of a very familiar part found on almost all steam engines (sometimes it is hidden), on some diesels and electrics too

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Apologies if this post is a non-event: but, from a position of total non-knowledge about old Alfred's system or his other thingummy -- I can submit nothing which might further matters here; without looking the stuff up, and thus disqualifying myself !

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One of the creations foresaw what BR did with steam engines in the 1950s
The other concerns moving parts which are not visible on the Sterling Single, for example

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Did M.Belpaire invent a system of standard locomotive design? And as to coupling rods - maybe fluted ones? (In effect they are I-section beams)
Very good, those are the answers I was looking for
In this typeface the coupling rods would be H-section, stronger and/or using less material I guess, must have a look at photos of coupling rods, maybe one of those simple+brilliant ideas
Over to you

DerekC

Established Member
I wouldn't have got that without the heavy hints and a lead from @Spamcan81. However:

Which London Underground station was the first to be fitted with escalators, and in which year?

And for a bonus point, how did the railway encourage passengers to use the initial installation and dispel doubts as to its safety?

SteveM70

Established Member
No idea on the main part of the question, but the bonus bit - unless I’ve been duped by an urban myth - they employed a man with a wooden leg to ride on the escalator to prove it was safe

DerekC

Established Member
@SteveM70 - you have answered the bonus! According to no less an authority than the Institution of Mechanical Engineers his name was "Bumper Harris" and he rode up and down all day!

Now for the main part of the question?

Metrolink

I wouldn't have got that without the heavy hints and a lead from @Spamcan81. However:

Which London Underground station was the first to be fitted with escalators, and in which year?

And for a bonus point, how did the railway encourage passengers to use the initial installation and dispel doubts as to its safety?
Earls Court, maybe 1910?

DerekC

Established Member
@Metrolink - you have it. Correct station - the escalators were from the District to the Piccadilly line platforms. And one year out (it was actually 1911) is good enough for me. Your moving staircase. (not forgetting that @SteveM70 has the bonus points)

Calthrop

Established Member
@DerekC -- thank you for this -- however, I am sadly short of inspiration re questions these days. Those which I can think of, I'd rather reserve for occasions when I totally / indisputably / acknowledgedly-by-all, hit the ball right out of the park. Thus, would ask for "open floor".