• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Here is a quickie. Leipzig has a huge train station, S-Bahn tunnel, and a very good tram service
The tram network has a strange ubiquitous-unique* feature that even a Pufferkuesser (buffer-kisser, railway enthusiast) would probably not notice

What is the unique feature?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
The trams can only be driven from one end and go round and round in a loop?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@xotGD
No not that either

There is another speciality of the Leipzig trams I remembered, just read up about it. The LVB was unwilling to pay the high prices for vehicles made elsewhere, so the simple robust 'Leoliner' was developed and built in Leipzig

Clue: the Leipzig trams can not run anywhere else

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
So presumably the track gauge is close to but not exactly standard (so Pufferkuessers would be unlikely to notice the difference). How about 1425mm?
Half-right, the gauge is 1458 mm, 23 mm *wider* than standard! Could even almost be within tolerance for very worn wheels

Over to you

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I suppose being half right, I should ask half a question.

When, and on what railway, did the first recorded fatal railway accident occur?
Is it too obvious to be the unfortunate Mr Huskisson on the opening day of the Liverpool and Manchester...?

DerekC

Established Member
Is this connected to the Battle of Prestonpans ?
Good - that's certainly a clue to its location - the battle was fought across the track of the wagonway. Would you like to be more specific as to its name? And the date of the accident? (Clue - it was seventeen years after the battle).

martinsh

Established Member
Good - that's certainly a clue to its location - the battle was fought across the track of the wagonway. Would you like to be more specific as to its name? And the date of the accident? (Clue - it was seventeen years after the battle).
The name of the line was the Tranent Waggonway, and the battle took place in 1745. I don't know any more without consulting my friend Mr W Pedia ...

DerekC

Established Member
@martinsh - that'll do. According to Historic UK:

On August 27th, 1762 James Paterson, the son of the Cockenzie blacksmith was close by the rails of the waggonway. Whether he didn’t hear the waggon’s approach or whether he stumbled is not known, but he was hit by the train and later succumbed to his injuries. This was the first death on a railway anywhere in the world

Your wooden road.

Calthrop

Established Member
Offering here from me: a bit abstruse maybe, but it's what I've got...

There is in the British Isles, a wild and hilly region which was in the past served by two railway undertakings, with considerable similarity to each other; and which can be said to have, at max. extent, divided the region between them roughly "50/50". Each of these, en route between their different "A's and B's", ran through a different and respective natural passageway between areas of higher ground. By what would seem to be just an odd coincidence, these two different defiles bear names remarkably similar to each other.

Please name the geographical region concerned; the two railways; and the two "defiles".

Calthrop

Established Member
@Glenmutchkin , @Gloster: between you, you correctly have the lot; save for the L&LSR's pass, with name very similar to the Donegal's. I plan to leave things open for a while longer, then "adjudicate". (Re the two passes / defiles: it can be possible to get the name of the former, via Googling the latter; I for one would have no quarrel with that being done.)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I just looked with permission, the Lough Swilly went through the Barnes Gap! I wonder whether Barnesmore derived from Welsh, Barnes mawr, the greater?
The L&LS was accused of giving priority to transporting beasts rather than people, many stations were far from the settlements they purported to serve

Calthrop

Established Member
I just looked with permission, the Lough Swilly went through the Barnes Gap!
It did indeed...

I wonder whether Barnesmore derived from Welsh, Barnes mawr, the greater?
The L&LS was accused of giving priority to transporting beasts rather than people, many stations were far from the settlements they purported to serve

Assorted further interesting Google findings on these name-type themes. It turns out that the "Barnes-es" here, derive from the Irish bearnas, meaning -- guess what -- "gap" ! And the "more" part: indeed from the Irish mor = great or big; parallel, it would seem, with your Welsh mawr. Plus; I learn that there's another Barnes Gap (this one always railway-less) -- in the Sperrin Mountains, in Co. Tyrone some dozen miles south of Londonderry: we thus have in this corner of Ireland, a variety of [big] Gap Gaps !

@Glenmutchkin, @Gloster, @LSWR Cavalier: you've all contributed. Might I ask you to decide between yourselves, who sets the next question?

Glenmutchkin

I should have passed sooner.

I hope this is OK as a question. The photo was taken on a train.

Which country was the photo taken in?
20200124071910.JPG