• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Was it to do with water? Flood preventing on the Ouse? No idea really. Reservoirs that are no longer there?
Certainly to do with water but not flood prevention. Only a few miles east of Angram and Scar House and the reservoirs are still there. Time for a clue, I think. Here's a view of "May". Now what sort of work was she designed for?

May.JPG

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Certainly tunnel locomotives and for an aqueduct, but not under water. "May" and "Progress" were built by either Koppel or Jung for the construction of the 2.5 mile long Carlesmoor Tunnel, carrying the Harrogate aqueduct from Roundhill Reservoir in Colsterdale under Masham Moor. They were real oddities - water tube boilers said to be capable of starting from cold in 15 minutes and a two or four-cylinder (the two locos seem to have been different) launch-type engine with a chain drive to the leading axle.

The project was served by a 2ft gauge railway from Masham NER station which lasted for almost thirty years. It was built by Harrogate Corporation in 1903, subsequently taken over by Leeds Corporation for the adjacent Leighton reservoir and then in WWI (during which work on the reservoir was suspended) by the War Department to serve a prisoner of war camp. Work on the Leighton reservoir restarted in 1920 and was completed in 1927, but the railway was left intact until 1932.

Colsterdale is one of the quietest of the Yorkshire dales and well worth a visit if you are ever that way.

@LSWR Cavalier - your floor for persistence!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@DerekC
Thanks very much, I learned something new again.
Some railway things are named after their inventors
What are:

Heusinger coaches?
Fell railway system?
Daberkow goods wagons?
Vanderbilt tender?
And what are the German terms for 'tank engine' and 'tender engine'?

DerekC

Established Member
I can do the "Fell" railway system - as I recall it has an additional double-head rail laid in the centre of the running rails but turned through 90deg from the normal orientation. This is gripped by horizontal spring loaded drive wheels, the idea being to enable trains to climb a steep incline. I think it's used on the Snaefell Mountain Railway.

Vanderbilt tender - is that one with a rotating drum which feeds coal forward to the locomotive?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@DerekC
I learn more when setting questions, I did not know that the Fell system was used on the IoM, ascent by adhesion on 1:10, Fell system used for braking downhill only! I did know the Fell system had been used in NZ.

The answer about the Vanderbilt tender is wrong, sorry.

Calthrop

Established Member
Vanderbilt tender: with the water-holding part of the tender, a kind of rounded barrel-shape?

German "tank engine" is, confusingly, Tenderlok.

If I ever knew the term for "tender engine", I've forgotten.

Edit: has just come back to me -- Schlepptenderlok.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Calthrop
Both correct, the Vanderbilt tender has a cylindrical tank on a horizontal axis, with internal dividers to stop the water sloshing about too much, the tender has two four-wheel bogies.
A Tenderlok is an engine with an integral tender, quite logical really (English: tank engine) and a Schlepptenderlok drags (or pushes) a separate tender.

Who knows what a Heusinger coach was/IS*?
* That is a clue, they are still in use.
Daberkow goods wagons: these have something in common with ISO containers, to do with how the contents are secured.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The Heusinger carriage was another simply brilliant idea. I fear one is more likely to find them on heritage railways now, not so often on the main line. Sort of a walk-through carriage, but not as we know it.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The Heusinger carriage has been mentioned, not by name, on a live thread about vehicle types. He published a dramatic description of the advantages of the carriage.

Calthrop

Established Member
Respectfully: one perhaps feels that re this question in its several parts, all the answers / guesses which are likely to happen, have been made. Time, possibly, to move on?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Respectfully: one perhaps feels that re this question in its several parts, all the answers / guesses which are likely to happen, have been made. Time, possibly, to move on?
OK, gladly: Heusinger dreamed up the side-corridor carriage. Daberkow goods wagons used airbags to stop the stuff moving about.
@Calthrop got two right, so may set the next question.

Calthrop

Established Member
@Calthrop got two right, so may set the next question.
Thanks; I'll decline, however. Am poorly-off for questions nowadays -- besides, it would have been cheeky of me to post to the effect of "at the end of the road?"; and then reap the reward of getting to set the next question.

SteveM70

Established Member
Some sort of compatibility issue with the ones EMR already had, so numbered differently to avoid them mistakenly trying to use them in non-matching pairs?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I seem to recall from the various threads on it that it's the PA systems don't work when coupled to one of the regular EMR fleet.

CarrotPie

Passenger information, something like automatic public address for short platforms
Some sort of compatibility issue with the ones EMR already had, so numbered differently to avoid them mistakenly trying to use them in non-matching pairs?
I seem to recall from the various threads on it that it's the PA systems don't work when coupled to one of the regular EMR fleet.
Yes! Due to incompatible public address systems.

Snow1964

Established Member
Not sure if that makes it me, for being first to answer public address.

Why did a branch line in North Wiltshire get shortened by about 2 miles during its life, name the town and reasons