• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I am sure @DerekC is correct, Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, Motspur Park, Worcester Park,
Ewell West, Epsom, Ashstead, Leatherhead, Boxhill & Westhumble & Dorking.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Absolutely right.

V is indeed Vauxhall on a Dorking stopper.

I did only the first initial on stations with two word names because I thought it would be far too easy with the full initials.

Anyway... Derek, your turn at the departure board.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Kolben is a bit like the German word for piston, could that be something to do with it? Or did he devise something to get the locomotives up the terraces at Dinorwic? Or to put narrow-gauge wagons sideways on 4' gauge wagons for the Penrhyn quarry?

DerekC

Established Member
Kolben is a bit like the German word for piston, could that be something to do with it? Or did he devise something to get the locomotives up the terraces at Dinorwic? Or to put narrow-gauge wagons sideways on 4' gauge wagons for the Penrhyn quarry?
All ingenious ideas but not the right answer, although you are focusing on the right industry. Emil Kolben was a Czech, if that helps. He was born in 1862 and died in the Terezin (Theresienstadt) concentration camp in 1943. He should be much better remembered than he is.

341o2

Established Member
Electrification driven by a water powered turbine which supplied light and power to underground workings

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Slate was mined underground at Blaenau, was it there? Dinorwic and Penrhyn/Bethesda were 'open cast' mainly I think. Did his inventions help power tools for cutting slate, and pumps to keep the workings dry?

DerekC

Established Member
Haulage of wagons up inclined planes?
Not as far as I know. The inclines to the quarry/mine I am thinking of (like most in North Wales) were balanced/gravity worked - i.e. the loaded wagons coming down raised the empty ones going up.
Slate was mined underground at Blaenau, was it there? Dinorwic and Penrhyn/Bethesda were 'open cast' mainly I think. Did his inventions help power tools for cutting slate, and pumps to keep the workings dry?
Not at Blaenau, but not far away. The thing Mr Kolben designed was directly related to the railway aspect of the quarry/mine in question and is thought to have been the first in Wales.
Pen-yr-Orsedd, I believe.
Not in the Nantlle valley.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Both the Croesor Quarry and Llechwedd quarry had electric locomotives so was it one of them?
That's right - Emil Kolben was an early electrical engineer who was born in Bohemia, studied in Prague, trained in the US with Thomas Edison and Nicolai Tesla and then returned to Europe, initially to work for Oerlikon in Switzerland and then in 1896 to set up his own company in Prague. By the early 1900s he was making the complete works - hydro-electric power stations with turbines and generators and electric locomotives with all the trimmings. The first Croesor locomotive (30hp, 220vDC OLE) was designed and built in his works in Prague in 1904 and it seems to have been the first electric loco in Wales. (My guess is that Kolben engineered the whole package including the power station). His company became part of CKD and manufactured the most successful tram in the world in terms of numbers made - also motorbikes, mining machinery and lots of other things. After a long history it was taken over by Slemens in 2002. A picture of the loco is below.

When I first heard about this it seemed so strange - that the Croesor Tramway, a line that was essentially horse worked in early 19th Century principles right up to WWII, possessed at the top of a precipitous incline a feeder using what must at the time have been one of the most modern installations in the world!

@341o2 was heading in the right direction but @Spamcan81 gets the slate dressing floor.

1618473864728.png

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Ah, but world-wide; or more limited geographically, than that? Should world-wide, be appropriate: I'll go for the Russian class E (in Cyrillic, looks something like 3) 0-10-0: don't know the number, with any precision; but at all events, many thousands.

Inversnecky

Ah, but world-wide; or more limited geographically, than that? Should world-wide, be appropriate: I'll go for the Russian class E (in Cyrillic, looks something like 3) 0-10-0: don't know the number, with any precision; but at all events, many thousands.
Sorry, have edited it to U.K.

Inversnecky

Class 08?
Well done!

996 made, making it the most numerous of all British locomotive classes.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Anne Holt’s detective/thriller novel 1222 starts with a railway accident. However, the title has a particular railway significance. What is it?