• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Argh no. Which was the first Merchant Navy that was rebuilt?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
35018, British India Line, in 1956.

Yes well done.
That was the final one then but I think we’ve got four different answers from four different people haven’t we?
Would you be able to decide between yourselves who sets the next question?

Loppylugs

Seeing as it's been a few hours, I'll grab the floor if I may be so bold. Anyway, Gloster's bound to get the answers in five minutes, he usually does.

1) Where were the HQ's of the GWR during world war 2 ?
2) A loco was named after this location. What was it's number ?

3) Which GWR CME was killed by a train ?
4) Where did the accident occur ? (on a railway line will not do!)
5) Which loco was involved ?
6) What year was this ?

As an added bonus with prizes of a Blue Peter badge and a genuine Blankety-Blank cheque -book and pen (very rare):

What was the name, address and phone-number of the train driver who unwittingly committed this foul deed ?
A big clue - his wife's name was Mavis.

Loppylugs

I do like the sound of Mavis Davis !! That deserves the Blankety-Blank cheque-book and pen but sadly I've just flogged it on e-bay.

You are closest with Newbury, which is just a bit too far.

Loppylugs

Still a bit too far Peter. Remember, there was a loco named after the actual location which is a few hundred yards from a station on the Reading-Newbury line.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I know Reading is 36 miles from Paddington, I can not think of any more places without looking at a map. Pendon would be too far. Could it be on the High Wycombe line?

Loppylugs

I know Reading is 36 miles from Paddington, I can not think of any more places without looking at a map. Pendon would be too far. Could it be on the High Wycombe line?
You did so well with Mavis Davis, now you are struggling. It is between Reading and Newbury, but even if you get the station you still need the building used. A further clue is the loco named after it was a GWR 4-6-0 and entered service in 1936.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’ll happily defer, going to be busy the next couple of days so may not be able to check answers etc

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Mavis visited the Grimm Museum in Kassel Germany, she got a bit confused because the "Hauptbahnhof" is not the Main Train Station. What is the main station called? There are at least seven ways to get from the main station into town or to 'Hauptbahnhof', what are they? One method is more popular for the journey into town than for the journey back, which method, why?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Loppylugs got three right too, but at least two 'obvious' methods are missing, Kassel has lots of motor vehicles with pneumatic tyres too, sadly. Cycling (city bike, rent it here, leave it there) is popular going into town but not so popular going back, why?