• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok I’ll give it a go.

Please name one type of steam locomotive from each of the Big Four companies that continued to be produced post nationalisation in 1948.
First to get four wins. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
GWR Castle, LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T, LNER B1, SR West Country/Battle of Britain?

Straight in there @Gloster well done.
Although there were plenty of others to choose from you got three out of the four that I initially thought of (I had Modified Hall in my mind rather than Castle when I thought of the question).
Over to you sir…

Gloster

Established Member
What was the name of the standard gauge steam loco operated by British Railways that had the shortest name, i.e. containing the fewest number of letters? A bonus for the class and number.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which standard gauge steam loco operated by British Railways had the shortest name, i.e. containing the fewest number of letters?

I feel like this might be a Jubilee but I’m not sure which one. Pretty sure there was one called Fiji?

D6130

Established Member
IIRC, it was an ex-LNER B1 class loco in the 61000-40 series which were named after different species of antelopes. I think it must have been 61018 "Gnu".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
IIRC, it was an ex-LNER B1 class loco in the 61000-40 series which were named after different species of antelopes. I think it must have been 61018 "Gnu".

Of course.

(I’m a g-nu, spelled G N U…)

D6130

Established Member
Indeed. As you k-now W-ho’s W-ho, you may set the next question.
Thanks!

The next question is:

Name three Italian steam locomotive engineers whose inventions were incorporated into certain types of BR locomotives.

Their surnames will do, but bonus points if you can give their first names!

D6130

Established Member
Capriotti (as in vakve gear)?
Close.....actually spelled Caprotti - but I'll give you that.
Franco and Crosti of Franco-Crosti boiler fame and Cartazzi of Cartazzi axle fame?
Definitely correct for the first two. I wasn't aware that Cartazzi axle technology was applied to any BR locos, but every day is a school day! On that basis - and assuming that you would also have mentioned Caprotti - the floor of the officina is yours.

Spamcan81

Sorry for the delay.
In which countries are/were the following railway works?

Salt River
Hutt
Hyde Park
Midland
Roanoke
Chittaranjan
Jundiaì

Spamcan81

Salt River is South Africa
Hyde Park works is Scotland
Roanoke is Virginia, USA
All three correct
Chittaranjan - India
Jundiaì - Pakistan
One correct
Midland is in Australia.
Hutt is in New Zealand?
Both correct
Jundiai not, I believe, in Pakistan; but in Brazil: on the Santos -- Jundiai Railway.
Correct

So Snow1964 wins with three correct. The works manager's job is yours.

Snow1964

Established Member
There are multiple bits of railway now served by London Underground (& tube) trains, that were built by companies other than the Underground group / London Transport.

Can you name the sections that were built by ‘mainline’ railway companies, and which companies built them.

For clarity including sections which were later quadrupled, and only some tracks used, as an example
Bow Road to Barking (London Tilbury & Southend Railway)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Would some of the "Metroland" lines built by the Metropolitan Railway be included in your answers (although I can't identify any in particular, sorry!)?

Snow1964

Established Member
Would some of the "Metroland" lines built by the Metropolitan Railway be included in your answers (although I can't identify any in particular, sorry!)?

Not the sections the Metropolitan or District railway built, but any lines built by someone else, subsequently used by Metropolitan or District lines count

DerekC

Established Member
Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone - LNWR.
Leyton to Epping and Newbury Park - GER
If DLR counts then various bits - just east of Tower Gateway nearly to Poplar (LT&SR) and just north of Poplar to north of Bow Church (GER, I think) ; also I think the piece through Crossharbour to just short of the new Mudchute station (also GER)
East London Line presumably doesn't count any more as it is now Overground.
East Putney to Wimbledon (LSWR)

Last edited: