• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Touring Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
I am Australian and considering booking on a Railway Touring Company day tour.

Minor things can always go wrong on the day, which doesn't bother me, but what do forum members think of this company's overall reputation for running day tours?

I gather Network Rail determinations or other considerations such as providing head end power to the cars (i.e. carriages) often means a diesel is on the back, rather than being a pilot ahead of, or a 'support' a section behind the special, but what are the chances on these tours of NOT having diesel assistance? Having the steam loco(s) on their own is far more authentic.

If booking alone in standard class, is there a chance you'll end up on your own even though the website suggests you'll normally be with three others at a table for four with two forward-facing and two backwards-facing seats?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If booking alone in standard class, is there a chance you'll end up on your own even though the website suggests you'll normally be with three others at a table for four with two forward-facing and two backwards-facing seats?
I don't think that booking alone you can expect to be sat on your own - they wouldn't make money that way. The carriages are all set up with tables for four. Whether that means being on a table with four individuals or a table with a group of three depends on the other people booking - it can be both.

what are the chances on these tours of NOT having diesel assistance? Having the steam loco(s) on their own is far more authentic.
There will often be a diesel on the back, not just for assistance on the way, but also for shunting at the destination or a section where the train needs to run a short distance to a suitable point for reversal. Even though the locomotive is there, it is reasonably unusual to actually get a push, although leaving London Victoria is one place where is does happen.

what do forum members think of this company's overall reputation for running day tours?
The tours that I have been on do what they set out to do. The stewards will generally do their best to make passengers welcome. Sometimes the time allowed for water stops is a little more than the timings allow which can lead to late running. I like to see the interest from those lining the route as the right trip will still bring out photographers on the way.

The National Preservation forum arguably covers steam railtours in greater depth than this one.
https://www.national-preservation.com/forums/whats-going-on.20/

CW2

Established Member
Of the various steam tour operators, RTC is probably your best bet for avoiding having a diesel on the back.
If there is a severe fire risk then diesel piloting might be mandated by NR at short notice.
So it depends on when and where you are going, to some extent.
Generally I would recommend RTC.

Iskra

Established Member
I haven’t travelled with RTC but have with most other rail touring companies.

You will usually be sat with other people, but there is always a chance of an empty seat if the tour isn’t fully booked. If not a full tour, you may be able to request to move to a different empty seat.

If you book in first class, most tours offer a guaranteed table for 2 option. Which would give you a better chance of getting it to yourself, unless another solo passenger also did the same. Being sat in a pair is an improvement on a four anyway.

Most railtours are long days and I would always recommend booking first class for the extra comfort and space.

You would rarely notice the diesel on the back.

Daniel_P

There are certain tours in which boxes aren't (usually!) put on the back - CMEs, Royal Duchy, and Worcesters as a general rule of thumb. I'd book onto one of those trips if you want to avoid a diesel on the rear.

Sean Emmett

I used to travel on RTC trips a lot, but stopped because of the diesel on the back issue. More specifically, their unwillingness to make it clear which trips were likely to have one, and which wouldn't.

Yes the Cumbrian Mountain Expresses, Worcester and Royal Duchy trips would appear to be your best bet, and yes the Nat Pres website has some useful gen. There is a dedicated thread for the RTC tours:

Probably best if you ask RTC direct.

As far as other operators are concerned, A1 Trust usually try to run their Tornado tours without diesel, or if there is one in the formation, without its assistance. West Coast's Jacobite (Fort William - Mallaig) and Vintage Trains Shakespeare Express (Birmingham Snow Hill - Stratford) are usually steam only.

I gather Steam Dreams has recently been taken over by Locomotive Services Limited, who run the Saphos steam tours. Saphos' standard class coaches are air conditioned, with no opening windows, and they almost always include a diesel to work the aircon, and give a shove.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I used to travel on RTC trips a lot, but stopped because of the diesel on the back issue. More specifically, their unwillingness to make it clear which trips were likely to have one, and which wouldn't.

Yes the Cumbrian Mountain Expresses, Worcester and Royal Duchy trips would appear to be your best bet, and yes the Nat Pres website has some useful gen. There is a dedicated thread for the RTC tours:

Probably best if you ask RTC direct.

As far as other operators are concerned, A1 Trust usually try to run their Tornado tours without diesel, or if there is one in the formation, without its assistance. West Coast's Jacobite (Fort William - Mallaig) and Vintage Trains Shakespeare Express (Birmingham Snow Hill - Stratford) are usually steam only.

I gather Steam Dreams has recently been taken over by Locomotive Services Limited, who run the Saphos steam tours. Saphos' standard class coaches are air conditioned, with no opening windows, and they almost always include a diesel to work the aircon, and give a shove.
I hope the steam dreams operation won't use Air con coaches without opening windows, I like the older MK1 and MK11s that do have open top lights windows that you can open to get the smells and sounds of the steam loco. It adds to the ambience.

1Q18

I hope the steam dreams operation won't use Air con coaches without opening windows, I like the older MK1 and MK11s that do have open top lights windows that you can open to get the smells and sounds of the steam loco. It adds to the ambience.
Presumably once the LSL takes full effect the Steam Dreams charters will be using whichever vehicles are available from the existing LSL fleet, which means (in standard class at least) air con.

peteb

Presumably once the LSL takes full effect the Steam Dreams charters will be using whichever vehicles are available from the existing LSL fleet, which means (in standard class at least) air con.
This is not good news. Doesn't Saphos have access to a few MK1 TSOs? It's bizarre that the enthusiasts are relegated to Aircon mk2's whilst the diners swelter in Mk1s and get smuts all over their food! Seems like it's now risky to consider CME or Worcester's unless one is prepared to sit listening to chatter and hum from Aircon all day rather than genuine steam sounds.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is not good news. Doesn't Saphos have access to a few MK1 TSOs? It's bizarre that the enthusiasts are relegated to Aircon mk2's whilst the diners swelter in Mk1s and get smuts all over their food! Seems like it's now risky to consider CME or Worcester's unless one is prepared to sit listening to chatter and hum from Aircon all day rather than genuine steam sounds.
The Cumbrian Mountain Express and Worcester trips are Railway Touring Company so will be mark 1s operated by West Coast.

peteb

The Cumbrian Mountain Express and Worcester trips are Railway Touring Company so will be mark 1s operated by West Coast.
Great, my error. Mods please delete my post#9. Apologies to RTC. Looking forward to doing a CME.

Efini92

Established Member
Don’t they use the loco on the back to provide the electricity supply?
If it was steam only, what would they use instead?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Don’t they use the loco on the back to provide the electricity supply?
If it was steam only, what would they use instead?
Only needed for electric heating. I think the lighting works off batteries and dynamos and cooking off gas so no diesel or generator coach needed.

Efini92

Established Member
Only needed for electric heating. I think the lighting works off batteries and dynamos and cooking off gas so no diesel or generator coach needed.
Cheers, I did wonder. I’m surprised they are allowed gas.

railfan99

Established Member
Thanks to all for excellent information.

Would the Cumbrian Coast Express and the Peaks Express be likely to have a diesel at the rear?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Cumbrian Coast trip is unlikely to have a diesel. I'm not sure about the Peaks Express but it's a circular route so less likely to.

Status
Not open for further replies.